New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Sandypond  (Read 392971 times)

Offline choo choo

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Sandypond
« Reply #4020 on: Mar 23, 2014, 06:45 PM »
Nice pile of sweet tastin' perch HT !
My boots on some ice... A line down a hole...Some fish on the screen... And a flag in the air !......Winter is Good !!

Offline ChiefCatchemall

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4021 on: Mar 23, 2014, 06:55 PM »
Nice perch HT and I hope you feel better Jim. I'd like to get out with you this spring for some perchin!
It'll eat.

Offline mdupper

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing is the sport of Choice !
« Reply #4022 on: Mar 23, 2014, 07:45 PM »
Nice haul HT .. I was on the pond today myself caught my fair share. My partner and I brought 43 nice size perch back going to make a nice dinner. Overall great day other than the wind chill ..
:) Keep Your Lines Tight :)

Offline kingfisher22

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4023 on: Mar 23, 2014, 07:53 PM »
Nice job on the perch HT.  How do you like that shanty? Is that the 1 man model that has solid poles (not collapsible)? 
How's the room in that?  Seems like you give up a little width compared to the old Pro model, but more than make up for it with depth both behind and in front of you. 

Offline H.T.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice fishing is what i live for-END OF STORY
« Reply #4024 on: Mar 23, 2014, 08:12 PM »
yes it is a one man kenion clam. i have had it for 3 seasons now. it is awesome and the room is perfect once you get it set up and used to. no messing with poles -you just fold it over -cover it and go. i have everything set up as portable as possible and for one person. unless you are a very big person you will have no problem with this set up ;)
"HEY FREDDIE"-FISH ON! PROUD MEMBER OF THE OLLC

Offline kingfisher22

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4025 on: Mar 24, 2014, 04:45 AM »
Thanks.  I was looking at one at Fat Nancy's and thought it would be much better than the Pro for room and mobility.  Probably will be my next shanty.

Offline choo choo

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4026 on: Mar 24, 2014, 06:20 AM »
Thanks.  I was looking at one at Fat Nancy's and thought it would be much better than the Pro for room and mobility.  Probably will be my next shanty.
Love my Kenai too kingfisher...only weighs 50 lbs.
My boots on some ice... A line down a hole...Some fish on the screen... And a flag in the air !......Winter is Good !!

Offline XxFISHN4EYEZxX

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4027 on: Mar 24, 2014, 11:10 AM »
            Take a look at the bigmouth thermal by clam only 44 lbs and alot more room inside

Offline reeleyz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4028 on: Mar 24, 2014, 11:24 AM »

X3 - I love my Kenai as well. Enough room for me. Easy to load and unload.

Nice mess of perch HT.

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #4029 on: Mar 24, 2014, 11:48 AM »
            Take a look at the bigmouth thermal by clam only 44 lbs and alot more room inside
Had not seen that clam model - take off (one way or another) of the Eskimo Wide1 Inferno?  64 lbs. though.
I like my Frabil Pro Insulated at 40" wide and tall and long and quick-flip style with no extending poles.  Heavier but very comfortable.

Offline coachwarner

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4030 on: Mar 24, 2014, 12:33 PM »
I believe the big mouth was a gander mountain exclusive only. I looked at them in the fall and the tubs and side material were not as heavy duty as the Kenai that's why they weigh less and with only 2 more square foot of fishable space. IMO the Kenai would be the better choice. Good luck Kingfisher with whatever style you decide to go with.

Offline H.T.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4031 on: Mar 24, 2014, 03:21 PM »
me and freddie lookded at that Big mouth one and were not impressed. your not gaining much for the extra cost and we could see that the mini pole extensions would be freezing up for sure. jmo looks like the weather is going to break here by thursday. i want to get out there this weekend before i call it a season. good luck on oneida bruse. i am going to finish it on the pond this year ;D

Offline pa ice swimmer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4032 on: Mar 24, 2014, 03:41 PM »
Wrapped it up down here, alot of open water, putting the boat in the river this weekend  good luck ht and nice fish

Offline duke14

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • thats why they call it fishin,not catchin!
« Reply #4033 on: Mar 24, 2014, 04:02 PM »
Well started out nice on the pond today,then tke temp dropped,
still a good day out there,got 30 or so keepers,
ice still in great shape after this little cold snap,
entrance at the wig wam still pretty good

Offline bcons

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4034 on: Mar 24, 2014, 06:37 PM »
Bigmouth clam was a gander only deal.  It is in fact made with lighter made stuff to keep weight down.  However also sacrificing quality.
They did copy Eskimo, they had it first and didn't skimp.  Thermal top even.  Nice shanty, I had one till stolen out of truck.
If going clam the kenai is the better bet, if not clam then Eskimo wide. 
Budget doesn't matter than frabil pro.
That being said all the flips mentioned and be careful setting the hook. 
I have bad habit of jigging up while also setting hook a little hard.  I've whacked the roof of my hub a few  ::) times lately.  Let alone when I'm in a flip

Offline bcons

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4035 on: Mar 24, 2014, 06:40 PM »
Looking forward to smacking the pond once more this year! 

Offline mdupper

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4036 on: Mar 24, 2014, 09:19 PM »
Another Great day on the pond the bite was steady a lot of sorting but had a great day with my boy  :) , and a note to the shanty discussion , I bought a Otter lodge last year and I love it its great for one person and comfortable for two on those days you want to bring along a friend . it has plenty of head room I have one friend who is almost 6 foot and he can stand up in it .. only down side its a little heavy but i  load it alone in my pick up so it isnt terrible  they now come totally insulated mine only has insulated top i would defiantly recommend looking at them . mine is black if you see me on the pond stop and take a look  :) 

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #4037 on: Mar 24, 2014, 10:07 PM »

who ever is shopping go and see or on line and compare size , tub thickness and fabric weight and price draw your own conclusion , there was a chart , but if you like the Kenai, add in the cost of a chair , the plat form is a killer if you have back issues about 25 bucks more will due it , just my .02

Offline reeleyz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4038 on: Mar 25, 2014, 11:22 AM »

who ever is shopping go and see or on line and compare size , tub thickness and fabric weight and price draw your own conclusion , there was a chart , but if you like the Kenai, add in the cost of a chair , the plat form is a killer if you have back issues about 25 bucks more will due it , just my .02

I think I am putting a better seat on mine for next year. The ONLY reason I didn't do it already is because it fits under my tonneua cover perfect now. I just need to find the right seat...

Offline reeleyz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4039 on: Mar 25, 2014, 11:26 AM »
me and freddie lookded at that Big mouth one and were not impressed. your not gaining much for the extra cost and we could see that the mini pole extensions would be freezing up for sure. jmo looks like the weather is going to break here by thursday. i want to get out there this weekend before i call it a season. good luck on oneida bruse. i am going to finish it on the pond this year ;D

One more Oneida trip for me and then I am probably done for the year anyway. Depends on what the weather does next week. I might take the sled out pond skipping once.  ;D

Offline H.T.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4040 on: Mar 25, 2014, 01:26 PM »
I think I am putting a better seat on mine for next year. The ONLY reason I didn't do it already is because it fits under my tonneua cover perfect now. I just need to find the right seat...
I take the seat out of my boat and use it in my shanty every year. the holes line right up nice. very comfortable ;)

Offline duke14

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4041 on: Mar 25, 2014, 07:24 PM »
Another great day on the pond,sun was shinin,fish were bitin,
caught another 30 or so keepers,a nice lmb,saw a couple pike on the cam(damn they look big when they nose right up to the cam)
got to cleaning the perch(yes the bass went back in the hole)i noticed a couple of the perch had little yellow dots in the filet,are they parasites?first ive saw of this,
has any one else encountered this? ???

Offline DrGreene

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4042 on: Mar 26, 2014, 07:31 AM »
They are just cook them and eat them

Offline perch-hound

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4043 on: Mar 26, 2014, 08:10 AM »
I really like the otter flip-overs, the tubs are indestructible, I wore through the tub of my clam, new tub was $50 back then.
I have the otter medium cabin, green canvas style, got it at gander prolly 8-10 yeasr ago, got it on clearance $225
We bought four of them, friends got the other three. They are pricey now for sure, but just may be the cadillac of flips.

Offline mdupper

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4044 on: Mar 26, 2014, 05:49 PM »
Hey all !Spent most of the day on the pond , bite was very slow but I will say most of the fish we caught were 9 to 10 inches which was nice for a change but only caught 30 fish in 5 hrs ?? probably the storm front going through ?? The wind was brutal but the sun was nice . No matter what a bad day fishing is better than a day working  :)

Offline bcons

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4045 on: Mar 27, 2014, 06:22 PM »
The long winded oricale yet articulate master of the pond is awaiting reports of triumph over the stripped adversaries of anglers whom dwell beneath its icy surface. 
Since the nearly indestructible self proclaimed consummate of the ponds hidden secrets has temporarily fallen ill due to an unforseen incident between himself and mother nature, we must all do our part to help him live vicariously through our adventures.

Hope you're doing better Boggey!
 ;D  ;D

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #4046 on: Mar 27, 2014, 07:19 PM »
The long winded oricale yet articulate master of the pond is awaiting reports of triumph over the stripped adversaries of anglers whom dwell beneath its icy surface. 
Since the nearly indestructible self proclaimed consummate of the ponds hidden secrets has temporarily fallen ill due to an unforseen incident between himself and mother nature, we must all do our part to help him live vicariously through our adventures.

Hope you're doing better Boggey!
 ;D  ;D
wow I'm impressed did you have help writing that ? you old red neck  ;) and X2 on the getting better Boogey

Offline raudlin

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4047 on: Mar 30, 2014, 07:55 AM »
Fished out of the Elms yesterday. Managed about 30 keepers but had to sort through hours of dinks. Just can't figure out why people have to leave their garbage on the ice.Picked up several soda and beer cans and 4 propane bottles on the way to shore.

Offline raysyncar

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4048 on: Mar 30, 2014, 09:43 AM »
Fished out of the elms yesterday from 10 to 5. The wind killed the temp rise.  Fish were for the most part very active and would hit in ridiculous flurries. A few nice ones one hog about 12 and many many perch that smoked when they were young so they never got tall.

Offline duke14

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4049 on: Mar 30, 2014, 04:05 PM »
Hows the ice on the pond?
thinkin on goin the elms way tommorrow

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.