New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Sandypond  (Read 392963 times)

Offline coachwarner

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Sandypond
« Reply #3360 on: Jan 27, 2014, 06:00 PM »
I didn't think you would catch that "WHEN", although that is what I meant to say/write.   ;D  No matter - we are in it for the fun.  ;)   And you may be right on with the "neural pathways" thing; have to ask Freddie about that.  :woot:

So, how much ice is there on that "pond"? AND, is the NAV app/chart accurate?
From what I've seen the navionics app is pretty accurate. ;) Just cut a hole there are dink perch everywhere. Now if you looking for the elusive 8 inch perch.... navionics won't help. You're gonna need one of these. :woot:

Offline Cusefan78

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3361 on: Jan 27, 2014, 06:26 PM »
From what I've seen the navionics app is pretty accurate. ;) Just cut a hole there are dink perch everywhere. Now if you looking for the elusive 8 inch perch.... navionics won't help. You're gonna need one of these. :woot:

(Image removed from quote.)
the nav app is accurate. I marked a waypoint last week and went back to it a week later and found my frozen over holes two feet from where it had me.
2011 King of the pond champion. Don't hate me cause I'm great!

Offline H.T.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice fishing is what i live for-END OF STORY
« Reply #3362 on: Jan 27, 2014, 06:30 PM »

(Image removed from quote.)
hey coach..........you got our spot picked out yet. dont know where to go for 8" perch ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)
"HEY FREDDIE"-FISH ON! PROUD MEMBER OF THE OLLC

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #3363 on: Jan 27, 2014, 06:44 PM »
While I am not at liberty to disclose this, he did crap a nickle when I told him my new nils cost a hundred-fitty bucks.

Omg wish you would have told me you wanted one  :o

Offline drowndin dots

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Kings of the pond
« Reply #3364 on: Jan 27, 2014, 07:18 PM »
OK guys and gals , the first thing I have learned about my new Lowrance 4 X elite Ice machine. I can't do step #2 till the battery has charged for 9 hours. I am concerned that in the written instruction book, nothing is in writing about the GPS capability, yet the product is clearly advertised in cabelas close out advertisement as having GPS . If it does not, I will be packing it up and sending it back.
The one you bought is the same as mine Jim, it does not have GPS.

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #3365 on: Jan 27, 2014, 08:07 PM »
The one you bought is the same as mine Jim, it does not have GPS.
You don't want gps on a fishfinder anyways.   ;)  Maybe, if it were mounted on a sled or wheeler and you fished off that machine.

Offline Cusefan78

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3366 on: Jan 27, 2014, 08:39 PM »
You don't want gps on a fishfinder anyways.   ;)  Maybe, if it were mounted on a sled or wheeler and you fished off that machine.
I have GPS on my lowrance with a navionics and I love it. Makes finding spots brainless. Plug in the spot I want to go to and drive till it says stop. Pop a few holes and I'm fishing exactly where I want to be.

Offline TommyBoy1971

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Former usmc, former us army airborne, current DOD
« Reply #3367 on: Jan 27, 2014, 08:42 PM »
JB1, did you have all that high speed crap last year???  Just saying..

Cabela's close out sale listed in the bullets descriptiom w/GPS. I went back to look at the closeout sale and it no longer lists the GPS capability. Bummer. Is that what they call bait and switch? Now that will cost me half the time to learn how to operate the machine. The Etrex 10 I bought last year doesn't work correctly either. I do not have a good record with electronics. That old guy sitting on his bucket with his snorkel coat drawn tightly around his head is getting ready to make his return. Ah! life was so simple then. :icefish: :icefish: :icefish:
You can get a good look at a steak by sticking your head up a bull's a$$, but wouldn't you rather take the butcher's word for it??

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #3368 on: Jan 27, 2014, 08:54 PM »
I have GPS on my lowrance with a navionics and I love it. Makes finding spots brainless. Plug in the spot I want to go to and drive till it says stop. Pop a few holes and I'm fishing exactly where I want to be.
That's great it works for you. I'm just say'n, sometimes two units can be a little handier than one.  I just like my handheld and/or the Lowrance I have mounted on the wheeler for the gps work, then get the fish finder out.  Just can't seem to grasp carrying a fishfinder around for the gps functionality, that's all.  I'm sure, some day, I will change my mind - I always do.  :)

Offline Cross-Eye-Jig

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3369 on: Jan 27, 2014, 09:17 PM »
While I am not at liberty to disclose this, he did crap a nickle when I told him my new nils cost a hundred-fitty bucks.
That's Paul ! ;D ;D ;D    I sold him a brand new 6" Nils for $54.99 but that's nothing !   Freddy was my first customer !  If I remember correctly, his Nils (Tanaka back then) cost $32.99.....or maybe he traded me a bucket of bluegills for the auger !  It was 1985  ;)

Offline Cusefan78

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3370 on: Jan 27, 2014, 09:39 PM »
That's great it works for you. I'm just say'n, sometimes two units can be a little handier than one.  I just like my handheld and/or the Lowrance I have mounted on the wheeler for the gps work, then get the fish finder out.  Just can't seem to grasp carrying a fishfinder around for the gps functionality, that's all.  I'm sure, some day, I will change my mind - I always do.  :)
having a flasher and loving it I wasn't sure about switching to a fishfinder but after using one I would never go back to a flasher. My lowrance on graph mode with the scope on is amazing. Why better then a flasher could ever be. Throw in the GPS and navionics and it's a game changer. Flashers will soon be a thing of the past.   

Offline woodburn

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #3371 on: Jan 27, 2014, 09:56 PM »
Whats wrong with downloading the free us topo maps to your smart phone and using that.
Mated on a charter boat for 18 years out of the pond. never used combo units you loose all capability if the unit goes down. Had a flasher and a Humminbird cvr50 8 color video 800 watts rms 6400 watts pep. If flashers were the answer we would still be using them on the lake. Look up new dragonfly 3d unit, it will get you thinking. Good luck out there it looks like you are in for 3 days of lake effect.

Offline Cusefan78

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3372 on: Jan 27, 2014, 10:06 PM »
Whats wrong with downloading the free us topo maps to your smart phone and using that.
Mated on a charter boat for 18 years out of the pond. never used combo units you loose all capability if the unit goes down. Had a flasher and a Humminbird cvr50 8 color video 800 watts rms 6400 watts pep. If flashers were the answer we would still be using them on the lake. Look up new dragonfly 3d unit, it will get you thinking. Good luck out there it looks like you are in for 3 days of lake effect.
GPS on a smart phone isn't as accurate. The smart phone apps work I used them for years till I got the lowrance now I can get exactly on the spots I want

Offline denny13126

• IceShanty Rookie
  • jig your heart out!
« Reply #3373 on: Jan 28, 2014, 12:04 AM »
was wondering if anyone knows where i can get a good depth chart at for the pond. like a contour map been looking online but cant find anything. any info would be great. dont got a fishfinder so gunna try to plot with a map ahha
it's all about finesse! tight lines and clean holes!

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #3374 on: Jan 28, 2014, 03:08 AM »
having a flasher and loving it I wasn't sure about switching to a fishfinder but after using one I would never go back to a flasher. My lowrance on graph mode with the scope on is amazing. Why better then a flasher could ever be. Throw in the GPS and navionics and it's a game changer. Flashers will soon be a thing of the past.   
I totally agree with the graph-mode sonar thing.  Left my flasher at home 3 years ago, went with the new digital Marcum LX7, adapted to the graph, and never looked back.  :)

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #3375 on: Jan 28, 2014, 05:12 AM »
walking is  great  exercise .................just saying  ;D

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #3376 on: Jan 28, 2014, 05:45 AM »
That's Paul ! ;D ;D ;D    I sold him a brand new 6" Nils for $54.99 but that's nothing !   Freddy was my first customer !  If I remember correctly, his Nils (Tanaka back then) cost $32.99.....or maybe he traded me a bucket of bluegills for the auger !  It was 1985  ;)

still got both of them 4 & 6 cracked a flight on the 6 , had it brazed and still going strong ,with the same heads to , and I seem to remember fish were involved in the equation

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #3377 on: Jan 28, 2014, 05:48 AM »
Not when you are 69, trap

take  breaks!  .......i admit  i'm looking at  4 wheelers myself  ...it's starting to get to me a  bit

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #3378 on: Jan 28, 2014, 06:10 AM »

I don't mind busting my butt , I learned long ago work smarter not harder , I like to fish , I don't want to work at it, I can remember the first sled I bought, took all spring - fall saving my coffee money change , by late fall had enough to buy a nice used Arctic cat lynx , it's all about priorties

Offline drowndin dots

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Kings of the pond
« Reply #3379 on: Jan 28, 2014, 06:17 AM »

I don't mind busting my butt , I learned long ago work smarter not harder , I like to fish , I don't want to work at it, I can remember the first sled I bought, took all spring - fall saving my coffee money change , by late fall had enough to buy a nice used Arctic cat lynx , it's all about priorties
This will be my last year without a sled. Not only to avoid walking thru the snow, but for mobility. As a walker I'm confined to 1-1.5 miles out , and then short moves. If I guess wrong like Sunday afternoon, I end up sitting on Mud Monsters with no desire to move a 3rd time.

Offline sandyponder

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3380 on: Jan 28, 2014, 06:47 AM »
Well, Boggey, 39 is about my ideal icefishing temp, I'm just not one for -5 and windy, so perhaps we will, and not to worry, with our expertise I'm sure the trophy will stay firmly in the gloves of Team First Place.  In any event, I will take pics, and of course didn't think you were manipulating in any way, shape or form, Cough, cough.  So, let me know time and place and pics I will take.

Now about the pond, we got another 8-10" last night and it's still snowing, tho the wind is only 5-8 mph or so.  Visibility maybe 40', it's not coming down really hard, but it's very steady.  Perm a shanty not visible at all from my perch.

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #3381 on: Jan 28, 2014, 08:01 AM »
Yo Guys and Gals,  Can you say "Slush" Anyhow. I am rethinking my approach to the tournament. I am considering offering Phil a percentage of my winnings in exchange for a tow out to the "honeyhole". Does that track machine run in slush Phil?

It runs ON the slush, like a long track sled with floatation skis, only better.  Won't run on water, however; like Release's sled will.  @)
By the way, some ? percent of 0 is not much pay there Boggy.  But I'd be happy to knock down a trail for ya.  ;)

Offline denny13126

• IceShanty Rookie
  • jig your heart out!
« Reply #3382 on: Jan 28, 2014, 10:46 AM »
Denny here is a web site that will get you there. www.nauticalcharts.noa a.gov Click on the NOAA emblem> click on Great Lakes Chart> Select Chart 14803 and click. You will see North Pond as one of the sub sets and you can zoom in and print. It is one of the .gov tax payers free applications. In fact all navigatable Great lakes waters are available from this site. Good Luck and just a warning  :nono: there is a little spot towards the north shore , if you zoom in really really really close  you will see "Boggey's Honey Hole" shhhhh. Do not share this with anyone else.

thanksss boggey i appriciate it and dont worry secrets safe with mee haah ::) just dont be surprised if you see a lil one man pop up sitting there haha

Offline denny13126

• IceShanty Rookie
  • jig your heart out!
« Reply #3383 on: Jan 28, 2014, 10:53 AM »
wow looking at the chart i thought the pond was deeper then 13 ft lol

Offline Cross-Eye-Jig

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3384 on: Jan 28, 2014, 10:57 AM »
still got both of them 4 & 6 cracked a flight on the 6 , had it brazed and still going strong ,with the same heads to , and I seem to remember fish were involved in the equation
The good old days ! ;) ;D

Offline fishing mechanic

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3385 on: Jan 28, 2014, 11:32 AM »
OK Lance :clap: :clap: :clap: Just what I wanted to hear. Hey, you can use my Perm Shanty if you want. I got it parked out there in no mans land just as a decoy, but you are welcome to use it. Eddy and I will be roaming the ice all day looking for the hot spots and keepin an eye on that KP and Freddy team. You know what I mean?

I'll be out there with the sled and my 2 man voyager. Gotta stay mobile ya know. I might have another 2 man team coming up also, Uncle Norm and his son sound interested also.

Offline fishing mechanic

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3386 on: Jan 28, 2014, 11:36 AM »
Oh yeah, I hate to beat a dead horse, but can someone repost the details of the event? Signups, etc. Much appreciated!

Offline bcons

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3387 on: Jan 28, 2014, 12:23 PM »
The pond at it's finest!

[/URL]

Offline sandyponder

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3388 on: Jan 28, 2014, 04:11 PM »
Here are a couple of pics of the pond today, the first one is of Boggey's perm shanty, no fair snapping GPS coordinates off the pics. 

The only person I saw fishing today:

Offline Stu45

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Start 'em young
« Reply #3389 on: Jan 28, 2014, 04:51 PM »
All this talk about electronics.  My flasher isn't cutting it any more... Now I dont have GPS.... What shall I do?  For anyone not needing their flasher any longer it would make a good starting point for me.  It sure would beat continuing to stick my head in that little hole and whistling and calling for fish.  My head starts to get a bit numb after the 4th or 5th hole! Besides that my daughters are starting to think they are going to have to do the same thing if dad doesn't start producing more and larger fish.  :o :o :o :o :o :o :o
There's a difference between having ten years experience and repeating your Rookie year 10 times!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.