New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Sandypond  (Read 392970 times)

Offline diadoadave24

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Sandypond
« Reply #2640 on: Mar 01, 2013, 03:23 PM »
Killed it at the pond last weekend.. Pike, Perch and Crappie

Where on the pond were ya?

Offline eddieb

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2641 on: Mar 02, 2013, 11:12 AM »
hello fished the pond today it was slow but came home  about 15 keeper  it did harden back up still have 6inch of good ice out there   ;D

Offline Clint S

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2642 on: Mar 02, 2013, 01:24 PM »
6 to 8 at GP and the bite was SLOW

Offline diadoadave24

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2643 on: Mar 03, 2013, 07:39 PM »
Fished the elms yesterday. About 12+ inches of ice. 4 guys fishing caught 90 keepers, 1 pike. About 10-13 feet of water. Good day for us.

Offline drowndin dots

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Kings of the pond
« Reply #2644 on: Mar 05, 2013, 06:41 PM »
I hope the ice holds up through the week end. I want to get all the grand kids out this week end. Maybe do a cook out at the honey hole. Besides that , it should be a lot easier to make the drag out there, the grand kids are getting big enough to help grand pa.l
Jimmy , Been wondering what was up with you ! Lisa and I would like to join you if you go .... give a call  ;D

Offline TommyBoy1971

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Former usmc, former us army airborne, current DOD
« Reply #2645 on: Mar 06, 2013, 06:07 AM »
Count me in! The ice was awesome monday, almost a foot, i think the weather will be fine and wont hurt it. It is going to be either a slushy top or glare ice by saturday. Bring rubber boots and cleats, have the kids bring their skates!
You can get a good look at a steak by sticking your head up a bull's a$$, but wouldn't you rather take the butcher's word for it??

Offline Gill Ripper I

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2646 on: Mar 06, 2013, 02:18 PM »
You guys have a great time. Did my last ice fishing (maybe  ;) ) today at LOTI lots of ice and some nice perch. Biggest was 13 1/4 a real pig. Was a pleasure meeting you guys at the derbies. Hopefully next year Fish Tank and I get to give you a run for your money. Thats if I stay on top of the water. Be safe.  :)  :) John.
Ninety percent of fishing is half mental :)

Offline joshjj2010

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2647 on: Mar 06, 2013, 08:28 PM »
Went out from gp for a few hours. Ice was 6-8 inches. Top inch is spongy theres some puddles on top. Only cought 2 keepers. And no flags

Offline TommyBoy1971

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2648 on: Mar 06, 2013, 08:41 PM »
Hope we get a couple cold nights, and no rain and wind! Supposed to be 40 and sunny on saturday, good for ice skating, catching perch, grilling, drinking beer, and spending time with friends and family!
You can get a good look at a steak by sticking your head up a bull's a$$, but wouldn't you rather take the butcher's word for it??

Offline Stu45

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Start 'em young
« Reply #2649 on: Mar 07, 2013, 11:09 AM »
Sounds like a great time will be ad by all.  Sorry I won't be able to make it, I guess some alone time with the Mrs isn't a bad thing for the weekend.
PS. Think there's any ice at the bottom of Niagara Falls?  ::)
There's a difference between having ten years experience and repeating your Rookie year 10 times!

Offline eddieb

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2650 on: Mar 08, 2013, 06:00 PM »
yep i was out the ice is nice no water on top  bit was slow  i did give 10 keepers away  ill b back out there tommrow  go have fun not time left 

Offline TommyBoy1971

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2651 on: Mar 08, 2013, 06:48 PM »
I will be out there bright and early!

Offline facciolo30

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2652 on: Mar 09, 2013, 11:57 AM »
How is the ice north of green point? Thinking about going Sunday if it is safe?

Offline drowndin dots

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Kings of the pond
« Reply #2653 on: Mar 09, 2013, 05:22 PM »

Sorry bro , Lisa is sick and I chose to stay home with her .

Offline TommyBoy1971

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2654 on: Mar 09, 2013, 06:37 PM »
Yeah this is my first year really fishing sandy pond, hit it once or twice in the past. The honey hole escapes me, at least at sandy pond! LOL, NOT A PROBLEM THOUGH! My wife, my step son and daughter all came out with me, set up the new clam, the kids skated in the morning a bit, we got there late though. Bite was good all, day just not any monsters. My step son had never been ice fishing, so i was drill instructor on the ice as usual, plus putting on minnows for the girls. Used my tip downs i got from woodys the first time today, they worked awesome! But only caught a couple of keepers on them. Grilled some brats, and dogs, on the buddy heater, my charcoal must have got wet.... All in all nice day. Making homade chips, and frying up my 20 keepers.... ;D
Forgot to mention i must have banged up my auger blades, took me 20 minutes to drill two holes, wife was catching fish left and right before i went back to woodies to install new blades, ate up most of the morning time for me....

Offline Apett

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2655 on: Mar 09, 2013, 09:41 PM »
Thinking about fishing the pond tomorrow any hot spots?

Offline eddieb

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2656 on: Mar 10, 2013, 04:41 AM »
all the pond  is a hot spot  just go out there  ;D

Offline Gotalimit

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Keep moving till you find em!!!
« Reply #2657 on: Mar 10, 2013, 09:45 AM »
TommyBoy, FYI, sometimes the sand from the dunes gets blown onto the ice. This will take the edge off your blades. I always carry an extra set with me. Been fishing there for years. Missed it this year.

Offline drowndin dots

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Kings of the pond
« Reply #2658 on: Mar 10, 2013, 10:16 AM »
TommyBoy, FYI, sometimes the sand from the dunes gets blown onto the ice. This will take the edge off your blades. I always carry an extra set with me. Been fishing there for years. Missed it this year.
Very true , however don't worry you didn't miss much this year .

Offline eddieb

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2659 on: Mar 10, 2013, 12:59 PM »
i fished the pond this am windy but nice out me and the bro  took 33 of them keepers  it is comeing to end fast

Offline Clint S

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2660 on: Mar 10, 2013, 04:06 PM »
Fished GP today and brought  46 keepers home.  I kept 7 inches and up.  Most were 8 t o9 inches, but there were a few hawgs.   Went alone and was running all day.   Fish wanted perch eyes and fatheads the most.   Bite was VERY light but they were hungry.   Caught a few that  had minnows in their mouth  along with the one on my hook.     Ice was 9 inches but getting bad. 

There is a gas pocket about 200 yard out from the marina the hole  was 10 inches or so yesterday .  Today 1.5 feet and  the ice 5 feet around it look pretty thin.  This may have been it.

Offline TommyBoy1971

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2661 on: Mar 10, 2013, 04:37 PM »
Just got back from a good day on the pond! Went by myself and was killing them on tip downs. Kept 25 keepers. They were basically eating anything. Most of them had minnows in their mouths while they were eating my minnows. Tried to jig, but the tip downs were going non stop. When i got ready to leave there was open water about 150 yards kind of in front of that blue house next to the wigwam. Ice was going quick. Unless we get a deep freeze, thats about all she wrote for ice out there. Needless to say, i had a lot of alone time to fish, drink some beers, and just fish!

Offline joshjj2010

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2662 on: Mar 10, 2013, 09:14 PM »
Well guys ice gear is getting put up tommarow. And the steelie rod and fly rod are comeing out. Will b in oswgo tuesday maybe monday

Offline TommyBoy1971

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2663 on: Mar 10, 2013, 09:53 PM »
Fyi...

Re: Buck, Cranberry, Long Ponds/Monroe
« Reply #75 on: Today at 20:50:52 »
QuoteModifyRemove
Just browsing, i have been fishing sandy pond, down by pulaski. Today i was out maybe 12 fow. Ice was going quick today, anyway one of my lines got hung up on the bottom of the ice, stuck my hand down in the hole, maybe after ten seconds i wanted my arm out of that water. I know extreme cold, and extreme hot, pretty high pain threshold, i thought, that 10 to 12 feet, no big deal if you go through. Wrong! I feel that if I were to have fallen in 6fow, my body would have stopped working right in about 30 seconds, if that long. I wore a light sweater and jeans today, while walking off the ice saw four to five holes about 6 feet round next to each other. Made me think, and i had a great day of fishing. Stay safe guys and gals, i yelled as loud as I could to about 20 different people that there was open water, hope everyone uses their heads!

Quote from: gumpy2 on Today at 16:53:49
Greece, N.Y. – Three men were safely rescued from Long Pond Sunday afternoon.

They were reportedly fishing on the pond, just off Edgemere Drive, when they fell in. One climbed out of the water onto ice.

It took 20 firefighters to rescue the men. One firefighter injured his back.

Chief James O’Coin of the Lake Shore Fire Department said ice can be deceiving, and it’s best to stay away from it when the weather warms up like it did Sunday.

“This time of year, the ice is changing,” he said. “We're a proponent that no ice is safe. The problem we have is that the ponds might not be deep, but what you have is the water is very cold, so you get the initial shock of going in the water and hypothermia. The pond base is all muck – at that point you're struggling to get out. The harder you struggle, the deeper trouble you're going to get yourself into."

Offline paperchhound

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ICE FISHING IS A SICKNESS
« Reply #2664 on: Mar 11, 2013, 05:02 AM »
hay boggey we will get up to see ya next year i hope or will look ya up this summer with the bass boat
VEXLIAR  $450.00 STRIKEMASTER ICE AUGER $400.00 CLAM ICE HOUSE $250.00  STCROIX JIG RODS $100.00  HEATER FOR ICE HOUSE $75.00 PAIL OF SLOB PERCH PRICELESS

Offline relaxr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2665 on: Mar 11, 2013, 09:54 AM »
Went to the Pond this morning at Greene Point and it is not safe.  One shanty is partially submerged.  Owner at Greene Point requested we not go out as she has no retrieval equipment.  Checked ice at The Elms and there was open water near shore.  Doubt there will be any safe ice the rest of the week.  Be careful or better yet just wait for boating season.

Offline ScottPierceNY

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2666 on: Mar 11, 2013, 10:21 AM »
Does not appear that way with the temps warming up  :-\

Offline Clint S

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2667 on: Mar 11, 2013, 04:35 PM »
It was safe at GP yesterday, but you could tell it was going fast.   That shanty was totally up on Sunday at 5:00.   The ice changed alot between Saturday and Sunday and I do not think   I will be back on the pond this year.   
The guy that owned the shanty was out there on Saturday  night and did not seem concerned when someone asked if he was going to get it off Sunday.   It was nothing great and it is probably going to sink and even if it does firm up it will be frozen in.

Offline bluetickchick

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2668 on: Mar 11, 2013, 06:23 PM »
fished gp yesterday, planned on going today got there and saw the sign and headed to lakeview. got out on the ice avoiding all the washed out holes and nasty weedy washouts fished around a bit till i walked over to the right hand side of boat launch and went from six inches of ice to about 2 and a half.... went back to the left hand side and litterally watched the ice deteriorate the whole afternoon. coming back onto the boat launch there were several bad spots that werent there when we went on. not terrible terrible ice by alot of guys standards but i will tell you i am one of those that goes by the motto better safe than sorry. this will be my last time on hard water this year. if you venture out there be extremely careful. even though its not deep watch your step or your gonna get wet. sketchy is a good word for the ice by my standards. tight lines and be safe.
Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land.  It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn.  ~Chuck Clark

Offline Clint S

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2669 on: Mar 11, 2013, 07:15 PM »
Where were you fishing?     I was near   the  perm shanty chasing perch on tip ups all day

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.