New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Sandypond  (Read 392960 times)

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
Re: Sandypond
« Reply #1290 on: Jan 27, 2012, 05:38 PM »
it's  funny  too  thats  the  way i  was  shown   long  ago  and  thats  the  only  video  of  that method  i  ever  see .....  take  your  time  first  few  times  you  do it  and  it  becomes  so  simple..... i  never tried  it on pickerel  till  a  couple  years  ago  and  it  works  great  on them too

Offline jiggincrazy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1291 on: Jan 27, 2012, 07:48 PM »
Great video Trapp!! thanks for the link. I think I will be trying to cook up some pike if we can get some ice to hold up next weekend.

Offline perchslayer#1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1292 on: Jan 27, 2012, 08:19 PM »
Does anyone know if the old silvermine ice fishing derby this sunday still on or no? ???

Offline waldo24

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1293 on: Jan 28, 2012, 04:20 AM »
Wow thats sounds good Trapper.

Offline flukeman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1294 on: Jan 28, 2012, 07:34 AM »
i  slap   them  get the  rib  cage  out  then  angle  cut the  y  bones  .... 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-K1ioGEiNs

this  works  well  for  me  ....the  best thing  about  making patties  is  if  you miss  a  few  bones  it  doesn't  matter !!!!

my  recipe ....

one 4  to 5  pound  pike   fillet him

one  onion

2  or  3  stalks  of  celery

2 eggs

italian  bread  crumbs

pepper ,  parsley ,and  garlic  to taste

grind  you fish  fillets (pickerel  are  great too) grind  onion  and  celery  ....mix  everything  in a  large  bowl , heat  a  fry  pan  with  some  oil ,  form  you  patties and  fry  till  there  golden  flip  and  repeat  ...  make  some  rice  and  cream of  mushroom  soup  ....  plate  of  pike  patties  with  rice  smoothered   with  sroom  soup  is  a  taste  treat  !!!!  try it  you'll love  it!

Thats the way I do it. Man you dinner sounded great, now I am hungry ;D

Offline THPolaris

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1295 on: Jan 28, 2012, 08:18 AM »
Anyone out on the small pond? Im sitting at my camp now and dont see too many out there now. Looks like ill so an ice check as soon as the family wakes up.

Offline PerchPounder86

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1296 on: Jan 28, 2012, 08:27 AM »
Hey guys... Need some help.  I cant seem to find sandy pond on the reports and comditions page. Tried small waters oswego.... Looked at everyone that seemed right but no luck. If you could tell me how to get to it that would be great.  In the mean time... How is the pond fairing?... Warm weather has been such a bummer.   >:(   Thinking of traveling up monday morning but might be by myself... If anyone else wants to go with or meet up... That would be cool. Thanks... Be safe and good luck...  CJ...over...
CJG3

Offline drowndin dots

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Kings of the pond
« Reply #1297 on: Jan 28, 2012, 08:28 AM »

Sandy pond is in the Jefferson County thread . The ice is not good at all and getting worse by the min.  >:(

Offline Iceman2012

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Can't wait for tbe ice!
« Reply #1298 on: Jan 28, 2012, 01:56 PM »
Talked to a guy just got back from gp 6/8 inches ice 4 inches of water on top not good

Offline emtorn

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #1299 on: Jan 28, 2012, 02:04 PM »
i  slap   them  get the  rib  cage  out  then  angle  cut the  y  bones  .... 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-K1ioGEiNs

this  works  well  for  me  ....the  best thing  about  making patties  is  if  you miss  a  few  bones  it  doesn't  matter !!!!

Good vid...I will give that one a try for the ones I don't sent through the grinder

Offline bcons

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1300 on: Jan 28, 2012, 03:52 PM »
Talked to a guy just got back from gp 6/8 inches ice 4 inches of water on top not good

:%$#!: :%$#!: :wacko: :wacko: :wacko: :blink: :blink: :blink: :blink:

I just got back from New Orleans, 75 & humid as H311 on wensday, broke a sweat in short sleeves walking around town.  Some people forwarded pics of the ice which helped me keep my cool.  I get home, driveways muddy, yard is 40% grass & I live in Mexico.  :wacko: :wacko: :wacko: :wacko: :wacko: :wacko:

Offline bcons

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1301 on: Jan 28, 2012, 03:56 PM »
Just an important reminder to all, water on both sides of the ice, means the ice is softening even if it's black.  Weather like this the water on top is above freezing, so is the lake water.  What happens to ice cubes in a cold drink?
Then as mentioned a couple times the ice will float again, once the water drains, but it drains down the holes, making them bigger.
Please use your heads.

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #1302 on: Jan 28, 2012, 04:18 PM »
i  ain't  walking on it  today..... 

Offline slymer83

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1303 on: Jan 28, 2012, 05:27 PM »
everyone b careful not only does the water make everything soft but get everything wet there will b some cold weather coming and i know how bad everyone wants to fish but b careful all

Offline Reel Addiction 2

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • 3rd double of the day
« Reply #1304 on: Jan 28, 2012, 05:39 PM »
not going out this weekend.  >:( family time and wifey says I can't go if the ice is not safe, lol.

Offline huntny30

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • U.S. Navy Senior Chief Retired
« Reply #1305 on: Jan 28, 2012, 05:54 PM »
There was a pile of them out there today...went up to look this afternoon...

“Never apologize mister, it’s a sign of weakness.”  John Wayne

Offline Trakndwg

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1306 on: Jan 28, 2012, 05:59 PM »
I'm just home from Sandy Pond. We usually park at the golf course and fish to the south. We checked it this morning and none of us would risk it. We went to a new spot near a marina (greens?) and managed to fish all day but we watched the ice didapear by the minute. At 3:30 we quit. I would not go out there again. The ice is going fast.
TRAKNDWG; women love him, fish fear him.

Offline Trakndwg

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1307 on: Jan 28, 2012, 06:23 PM »
I was shocked to see one lone guy out on the far side of the South Pond this afternoon.  Shore ice was very bad.

I drove along the North Pond a bit and counted at least a dozen people out there.  The shore line there looked terrible too.

You guys do know that Arby's has 2 fish sandwiches for $4.00, now, don't you?
It was safe where we were during the day. At 11:30 I counted 39 shanties around that part of the pond we were on and plenty of guys without shanties. The shore ice from the parking area was all OK so long as we stayed well away from the docks with the bubblers. By afternoon the ice out by the lake was sinking, the holes were opening, and the ice was thinning. I think we were plenty safe where we were but I would not go out there tomarrow. What is the limit on thise fish sandwiches at Arby's?

Offline bcons

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1308 on: Jan 28, 2012, 06:44 PM »
Renshaw bay/ Green Point Marina area, has it's own ice conditions. 

All you dare eat, on the 2 for 4!
yes it has it's own conditions. However, someone just posted the shore is fine at the marina if you stay away from the docks with the bubblers.  Those docks freeze in, there aren't bubblers....... just bad ice.  The wind is ripping now& it aint cold........

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #1309 on: Jan 28, 2012, 06:52 PM »
mmmmmm  i  ain't  getting  on  again  ..... 

Offline ChiefCatchemall

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1310 on: Jan 28, 2012, 07:00 PM »
whats the deal with the tourney...it get cancelled yet?
It'll eat.

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #1311 on: Jan 28, 2012, 08:36 PM »
boog  i  think a  thats  wise 

Offline RAINMAN

• IceShanty Rookie
  • TEAM Treble Makers!
« Reply #1312 on: Jan 28, 2012, 08:45 PM »
Wow this is awesome news!! It was going to make for a long year if this didn't happen. I'll be praying to the Ice Gods for the next few weeks!  :thumbsup:

Offline THPolaris

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1313 on: Jan 28, 2012, 09:04 PM »
I was out on the south shore today about 6 inches almost to the middle. Pretty slow until the "magic hour" caught 20 in a half hour. The shore is broke up pretty bad and the wind is whipping like a mother now. I cant wait to see what the wind has done to the ice tomorrow.

Offline Trakndwg

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1314 on: Jan 29, 2012, 07:00 AM »

A couple pics from what was probably my last trip to Sandy Pond for awhile. We caught some prety nice sunfish and a couple pike in this new area. Note the shanties in the back ground. This pic was late morning.

By 3:30 PM the shanties were clearing out and conditions were worsening rapidly. It looks like it is goiung to be awhile before I'm on the ice again.

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #1315 on: Jan 29, 2012, 07:04 AM »
trak  nice  pics!!!!  least you had  fun before  it  ended  ....   ;D

Offline emtorn

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #1316 on: Jan 29, 2012, 08:50 AM »
was going to head to the pond today......after reading last nights reports......I will be staying home.  Didnt do so hot off sylavn beach yesterday to bother trying that again today and it sounds like the ice on the rest of Oneida is looking like garbage now too.  Looks like I will be hanging home today.....maybe check out the sportsman show and will likely be headed further north next week if there is not a huge change in the weather.

Offline drowndin dots

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Kings of the pond
« Reply #1317 on: Jan 29, 2012, 09:03 AM »
Everything that trapper and DD said is pretty much true. Of course I had to find out exactly for myself. drove over to the Elms this morning. At the ramp, the ice was out about5 feet from the shore. There were about 5 trucks there and people were finding ways to get on the ice. Then I drove over to GP, about 50 trucks and cars Lots of good ice to get on between the docks. I took a picture of the open water. The open water extended from the channel almost all the way around the island and was open all the way over to the point at Green point. A lot of fishermen were on the ice at green point.. I then drove over to The Steak House (wig-Wam) A walk down the ramp showed thick ice and several fishermen had made their way on the ice from there as well I entered the pond from the Steak House and walked out to the Honey Hole, The geometric center of the Pond, wouldn't you know? I made test holes all the way out. While all holes were at least 5 inches thick, the caveat to that was, there were massive open holes randomly spattered across the ponds  surface. These holes were averaging 20 square feet to 100 square feet in size. As the day was Sunny and bright these holes were readily visible. In fact large open holes were witnessed all the way out and back.
     The multiple dangers as I see is the holes are already massive. The continued warm weather and warm wind will only serve to further deteriorate there condition  If there is a slight cooling during the night it would only serve to create a light crust of ice over these same holes rendering them unnoticeable yet even more dangerous than there present condition. I have sent pictures and info to the Eastern Pa Deaf Bass anglers organizers and it is their decision to postpone the 2 man tournament scheduled for the Feb 4th due to unsafe Ice conditions. As an alternate date they are looking to reschedule the tournament on the 18th of February. Big Bucks will republish the Flyer and change the post on Ice Shanty . Please help me to spread the word and pray for some cold weather after the 4th .
  Good choice Jimmy , the hole harry went for a swim in was blown over with a light skim of ice and snow . it was nearly dark as we came off and if he was any less fit he may have been in trouble . Remember people 5 inches of ice does not mean there is no danger . I will not be back out till we get a good long freeze and I will not go alone .

Offline Cusefan78

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1318 on: Jan 29, 2012, 10:58 AM »
Looks like we will need boats for the tourney
2011 King of the pond champion. Don't hate me cause I'm great!

Offline Trakndwg

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1319 on: Jan 29, 2012, 11:20 AM »
trak  nice  pics!!!!  least you had  fun before  it  ended  ....   ;D
We did have fun. I feel grateful to get the day before it was all gone.  @)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.