New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Sandypond  (Read 392961 times)

Offline EddieRod

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Sandypond
« Reply #570 on: Jan 05, 2012, 06:24 PM »
  Took some time off of work and made it to Sandy with CuseFan.. He managed 15 keepers and I came up about 11...I think it was the Elms we where at.. Not a bad day at all!

Offline perch picker50

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #571 on: Jan 05, 2012, 06:28 PM »
is there any lakes in ny with safe ice

Offline H.T.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice fishing is what i live for-END OF STORY
« Reply #572 on: Jan 05, 2012, 06:32 PM »
is there any lakes in ny with safe ice
do your home work  ::) ::) ::)
"HEY FREDDIE"-FISH ON! PROUD MEMBER OF THE OLLC

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #573 on: Jan 05, 2012, 06:42 PM »
  I'm by know means the best, not even close... just enjoy doing it, to get eyes at the pond, stop targeting the perch and disipline yourself to go reel big last hour and into the dark, most times nothing these days probably, but those blitzs were awesome in the mid 2000's.....

hope you can help an ol buzzard out kid whats the charge for a day ? i'm ready anytime

Offline pondskipper

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • AT THE SOUND OF MY NAME, FISH TREMBLE!
« Reply #574 on: Jan 05, 2012, 07:14 PM »
  I used to be a regular there til the canadians killed all the walleye with the lampricide, I'd show up at wig wams 2-3 hours before dark, walk out maybe 2-4 shanties most days, and get 5 or 8 eyes, usually 2 or 3 keepers, haven't been in a while but i here theres more people than that now and alot less eyes..
I live next to the stream that the canadians poisoned. I would say two or thee years ago. This year there were thousands of waldos back in the stream it was very good to see that again. I still think its going to be a couple of years before we pull them through the ice like before.

Offline SNAGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • JUST TRYING TO KEEP FISH ON MY SCREEN!
« Reply #575 on: Jan 05, 2012, 07:23 PM »
I live next to the stream that the canadians poisoned. I would say two or thee years ago. This year there were thousands of waldos back in the stream it was very good to see that again. I still think its going to be a couple of years before we pull them through the ice like before.

glad to hear it, I remember fishing steelhead one year at norton rd below the wire and seeing tons of jumbo eyes in there, it sure was neat to look at, glad there making a comeback...maybe in a few years you guys will get them on a regular basis again...I wish you could get steelhead out of there on a regular basis, that would be cool... Have a great season Pondskipper.
ONEIDA LAKE NORTHSHORE DIEHARD'S

Offline pondskipper

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #576 on: Jan 05, 2012, 07:37 PM »
I have gotten steelhead but few far and between. Good luck to this year aswell.

Offline bcons

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #577 on: Jan 05, 2012, 07:44 PM »

Haha. You wanna head out some place on sunday morning man? I did send you a message today ::)

I see how you are......... Supposedly you want to be partners then send messages to the enemy asking them to fish with ya.  :P :P :P :P :P  The wooden pickel strikes again.   ::) ::) ::) ::)

Offline jiggincrazy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #578 on: Jan 05, 2012, 07:45 PM »
Its a great suprise to pull a walleye through the ice of sandy. I was lucky enough to get two each of the last two years. I hope to pull a few more this year. Great to hear they may be making a comeback. Thanks for the great walleye info guys!!

Offline pondskipper

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #579 on: Jan 05, 2012, 07:47 PM »
sure thing.

Offline bcons

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #580 on: Jan 05, 2012, 07:48 PM »
bcon, am I allowed to talk about the meet and greet at the Steak House yet? Is it a done deal? FM is going to do the worm/turtle and there is a strong Pennsylvania contingent coming up to steal our thunder.

I'm going up there tom. to talk to the girls 1 last time to finalize the details on the event.  Then of course  ;)  Shanty & tourney get-together!  If we can get Lance to do the worm maybe we can sell tickets!

Offline SNAGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • JUST TRYING TO KEEP FISH ON MY SCREEN!
« Reply #581 on: Jan 05, 2012, 07:54 PM »
Its a great suprise to pull a walleye through the ice of sandy. I was lucky enough to get two each of the last two years. I hope to pull a few more this year. Great to hear they may be making a comeback. Thanks for the great walleye info guys!!

You know what I always found strange about the pond. You see all those big 6-11lb breeders in the creek, later in the spring you could jig up 5-8 pounders (minus the eggs/sperm from spawning) pretty regularly, but in the winter when I would get into them, they would be like Oneida eyes .... 13-19 inches, and in the pond they half to be 18 to keep, so where did the big ones go, back to lake Ontario?, I bet late ice those hogs will be somewhere getting ready.  Is the pond a nursery for them?.
ONEIDA LAKE NORTHSHORE DIEHARD'S

Offline goonboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #582 on: Jan 05, 2012, 08:06 PM »
well all i have to say is if u go out there go for u  :cookoo:  but when my butt hole sucks up and a little bit of p comes out when i walked out there to day to check and drill a hole no thank u not for this guy 2.5 and ice poppen and cracking under my feet been wet once and not going to happen again
lets rip some lips its time to fish

Offline H.T.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #583 on: Jan 05, 2012, 08:18 PM »
well all i have to say is if u go out there go for u  :cookoo:  but when my butt hole sucks up and a little bit of p comes out when i walked out there to day to check and drill a hole no thank u not for this guy 2.5 and ice poppen and cracking under my feet been wet once and not going to happen again
whimp ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)

Offline bcons

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #584 on: Jan 05, 2012, 08:20 PM »

Not everyone was graced enough to have the body to walk on saran wrap  ::) ::) ::)  How's that work out for ya in a crowd?  :-* :-* :-*

Offline goonboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #585 on: Jan 05, 2012, 08:22 PM »
  some of us don't weigh 90lbs wet and 4f 8 like u  :P
lets rip some lips its time to fish

Offline H.T.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #586 on: Jan 05, 2012, 08:24 PM »
Not everyone was graced enough to have the body to walk on saran wrap  ::) ::) ::)  How's that work out for ya in a crowd?  :-* :-* :-*
once again the great BACON GREASE has spoken. i walk on water not plastic wrap and do catch fish once in a while. did you mail us our checks yet ??? ??? ??? or should i call the collection agency  :P :P :P :P :P

Offline H.T.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #587 on: Jan 05, 2012, 08:26 PM »
  some of us don't weigh 90lbs wet and 4f 8 like u  :P
like i said "WHIMP"  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;)

Offline adkRoy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Beware of squirrels playing banjos
« Reply #588 on: Jan 05, 2012, 08:28 PM »
If you're worried about falling through, Wrap yourself with bubble wrap!

Just kidding, 3 inches  on a lake that just froze is not a good idea.  Its just asking for trouble and we've already had some icefishermen fall through this winter.  :-\
New York State Ranger School Alumni 1994[

Offline bcons

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #589 on: Jan 05, 2012, 08:38 PM »
once again the great BACON GREASE has spoken. i walk on water not plastic wrap and do catch fish once in a while. did you mail us our checks yet ??? ??? ??? or should i call the collection agency  :P :P :P :P :P
I'm reminded of the sayings "even a blind squirrel  finds a nut" or "the sun shines on every az" at least sometimes..........

Offline H.T.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #590 on: Jan 05, 2012, 08:45 PM »
If you're worried about falling through, Wrap yourself with bubble wrap!

Just kidding, 3 inches  on a lake that just froze is not a good idea. Its just asking for trouble and we've already had some icefishermen fall through this winter.  :-\
point well made in that statement. some of us here know when is the right time and when not to Venture............

Offline adkRoy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Beware of squirrels playing banjos
« Reply #591 on: Jan 05, 2012, 08:49 PM »
When I was first learning to icefish, I managed to go swimming by going on unsafe ice. Luckily it was in water that was only chest deep and I was able to get out.    Now that I know better and I look back at the conditions, ice just froze, it had rained the day before, it made for weak ice. I like to wait till 4 inches or greater with lots of cold nights and no rain.  Especially now that my wife icefishes with me. She always makes me walk out ahead of her.  :unsure:
New York State Ranger School Alumni 1994[

Offline H.T.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #592 on: Jan 05, 2012, 08:59 PM »
When I was first learning to icefish, I managed to go swimming by going on unsafe ice. Luckily it was in water that was only chest deep and I was able to get out.    Now that I know better and I look back at the conditions, ice just froze, it had rained the day before, it made for weak ice. I like to wait till 4 inches or greater with lots of cold nights and no rain.  Especially now that my wife icefishes with me. She always makes me walk out ahead of her.  :unsure:
as most know i grew up on sandy pond and have gone thru over at least that i remember 4-5 times over the last 30+ years. not at all proud of that but it is what it is. it will make you respect the ice and getting older now make you very cautious of it at times. i guess that is one of the reasons i bought the AA suit also ;)

Offline rlowery

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #593 on: Jan 05, 2012, 11:00 PM »
Im deff not sold on this whole 3" on the main pond thing but if thats even close my question is hows GP lookin? Anyone been over that way?
"Don't take any wooden nickels"
Oswego,NY  CU Alum ~Go Golden Knights~

Offline fishing mechanic

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #594 on: Jan 06, 2012, 02:26 AM »
Still sure if U people wanna tangle with people like us?

The kids caught all them!!!
And that is me.....whoo where am I all by my self !

Offline fishing mechanic

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #595 on: Jan 06, 2012, 04:13 AM »
FM, those are really nice fish or you have a small sink. Which is it?  What? Did you borrow those good looking kids? They can't be yours. Oh yeh! Now I remember , you married a good lookin woman with bad eye sight, lol ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

All the above J-bog......Last season's Pond fish, my twin nephew and niece, hanging out with Trevor and FM for an overnighter last season. We had a ball as I recall.

Offline waldoslayer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #596 on: Jan 06, 2012, 04:29 AM »
Nice sink full.......So is it gonna be safe for the weekend or is it still sketchy you all think???  Love to get out but wanna stay dry

Offline huntny30

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • U.S. Navy Senior Chief Retired
« Reply #597 on: Jan 06, 2012, 04:38 AM »
People will be out there...not this people...there were a couple out yesterday...the ice is new and with the temps going up today...with W/SW wind and possible rain next couple days...I would say that with no rain/wind/ damage by next weekend it will be safe without doubt...depends on what kind of person you are...there is more estabished ice farther North...Another week is worth the wait for me...the fish will be there...Good Luck...I am working up in Watertown today, I plan on stopping on the way up and on the way back just to look...I always check out GP and Elms when I drive by...

http://www.weather.com/weather/tenday/Pulaski+NY+13142

“Never apologize mister, it’s a sign of weakness.”  John Wayne

Offline waldoslayer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #598 on: Jan 06, 2012, 05:34 AM »
Sounds like a plan next weekend sounds better!! thanks for the info       Goose bay have good ice???

Offline fishing mechanic

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #599 on: Jan 06, 2012, 06:35 AM »
Nice sink full.......So is it gonna be safe for the weekend or is it still sketchy you all think???  Love to get out but wanna stay dry

Like I said... them were last years sandy pond fish. The ice is not ready yet...... Do not make the mistake of thinkin those pics are from this season please!!!!!!.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.