New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Sandypond  (Read 392876 times)

Offline coachwarner

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Sandypond
« Reply #1470 on: Feb 08, 2012, 06:39 PM »
Fished 3 mile bay kept 11 big perch, lost a northern at the hole, as Boogey said pretty steady bite but a lot of small perch. Sandy pond has actually lost ice since sunday due to the wind i believe. Hope it gets better i would like to practice a little more before the big dance  ;D

Offline bcons

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1471 on: Feb 08, 2012, 07:52 PM »
Ok all take this for what's it's worth, have a good time be safe, but consider the conditions & forecast.
1- lots of open water
2- about to be frigid temps  :clap: :clap: :clap:  However also snow, now they're warning about lake effect (see the bottom of post)
3-warm temps during the day tomm 40+
4-breezy if not windy for the next few days with lots of open water already for waves to build
5-some crap & questionable ice from gas holes, cracks, & breakups with refreeze
6-From Friday on area snow expected, not too much, but enough to cover bad spots
Be careful..........

"LAKE EFFECT SNOW MAY DEVELOP EAST OR SOUTHEAST OF LAKE ONTARIO
SATURDAY EVENING THROUGH SUNDAY MORNING. THERE REMAINS A GREAT
DEAL OF UNCERTAINTY AS TO THE EXACT PLACEMENT AND INTENSITY OF
LAKE EFFECT SNOW...BUT SIGNIFICANT AMOUNTS ARE POSSIBLE."

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?site=buf&FcstType=text&zmx=1&zmy=1&map.x=277&map.y=104&site=BUF

Offline wert

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #1472 on: Feb 08, 2012, 09:03 PM »
plywood ice shanty 3quarter under water on pond. i think it refroze. in front of wig wam

Offline paperchhound

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ICE FISHING IS A SICKNESS
« Reply #1473 on: Feb 09, 2012, 06:22 AM »
hay boogey not sure if we are going to make it up for next weekend you and pondskipper may have a chance to win some money lol
VEXLIAR  $450.00 STRIKEMASTER ICE AUGER $400.00 CLAM ICE HOUSE $250.00  STCROIX JIG RODS $100.00  HEATER FOR ICE HOUSE $75.00 PAIL OF SLOB PERCH PRICELESS

Offline perchslayer#1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1474 on: Feb 09, 2012, 09:33 AM »
is there an ice fishing derbyb this weekend at sandy pond and if so is it still on or is it cancelled ??? ??? :tipup: :P ::)

Offline andyswo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1475 on: Feb 09, 2012, 03:29 PM »
everyone keeps talking about the pond conditions is fantastic,i love it.but i'm curious ,most talk about the conditions on the 1 pond,how r the conditions on the other pond?any help from the guys out there would be appreciated.ty

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #1476 on: Feb 09, 2012, 03:40 PM »
bcons  my  leg  went  threw  the  ice  on  my  home  water!  i  reported  it  and  get  blamed   for  being  the  anti-christ  .....

Offline bcons

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1477 on: Feb 09, 2012, 05:27 PM »
bcons  my  leg  went  threw  the  ice  on  my  home  water!  i  reported  it  and  get  blamed   for  being  the  anti-christ  .....

So do I, while I do stupid stuff, including crawling up to a gas hole on 3-4" of crap ice last yr to release a bass which some were happy to take pics of  ::) ::) ::)  I try to warn people.  Read just above yours, a newbie claiming the ice conditions are fantastic  ??? ??? ??? ??? ???  Uhhhhhh I musta missed that, or maybe I was looking at the wrong pond.  When I try to say it???????

PLAIN & SIMPLE if you have to check the internet & don't have people you know & trust to give you an accurate report then you should probably be careful.

Offline timothymills2012

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1478 on: Feb 09, 2012, 05:44 PM »
myself and a few others fished GP today..Ice wasn't to bad,alot of water on top by the end of the day.Todays catch was about 40 perch of average size and a few sun fish.Thinking about heading to sylvan beach to try for some eyes!!!

Offline Dogger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1479 on: Feb 09, 2012, 05:49 PM »
myself and a few others fished GP today..Ice wasn't to bad,alot of water on top by the end of the day.Todays catch was about 40 perch of average size and a few sun fish.Thinking about heading to sylvan beach to try for some eyes!!!

Glad to hear you got on a few. Was the ice all bubbly over there at GP? It was like a freshly poured glass of 7-UP in front of the wigwam yesterday...

Let's hope this isn't what we have to resort to with this wacky weather....

Priceless....

Offline scout57

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • life's to short,lets go ice fishin'
« Reply #1480 on: Feb 10, 2012, 05:43 AM »
Haven't heard too much from HT. That can mean only one of two things, he is working overtime . or too busy sitting on the ice somewhere slamming those slobs in his pail, or if up north in a tub. What say you HT? ;D ;D
check the oneida thread

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #1481 on: Feb 10, 2012, 02:13 PM »
a  spud  and a  life  jacket  ...cheaper  then a  funeral  ......just  saying

Offline blue man

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1482 on: Feb 10, 2012, 05:16 PM »
need help with this

Offline joshjj2010

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1483 on: Feb 10, 2012, 05:38 PM »
hows the ice on gp? there was 5-8 inches last weekend

Offline bcons

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1484 on: Feb 10, 2012, 06:23 PM »
hows the ice on gp? there was 5-8 inches last weekend

8" last weekend where were you drilling  ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

Offline joshjj2010

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1485 on: Feb 10, 2012, 06:28 PM »
oh uk thatone area lol. thats what the store lady told me. but it was more like 5 inches. hows the ice on gp?

Offline year-round-fishing

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #1486 on: Feb 10, 2012, 10:10 PM »
I was out on sandy last weekend left of the wig wam. I tried to head for the dunes and only about 200 to 300 yards from shore there was a big break in the ice with only skim ice beond it if you get to close you can feel the ice bow and hear it crack. i ended up fishing 50 yards off of the break and found 4 inches of good ice. i cant imagin the conditions are any better. the perch fishing was ok just shy of a limit but left early to get ready for the super bowl. no one went out any farther then i.

Offline Munson

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1487 on: Feb 11, 2012, 04:49 AM »
New member here.   Just moved to the area from the southern tier.  I'm settled half way between Sandy Pond and Oneida lake but have rarely fished either body of water.
  Did a search on Sandy Pond and just about every result mentioned this site so I checked it out and was glad I did .    Tons of good info on both waters.   Hope I can run into some of you guys once I get settled into the new house this week.   Took 2 weeks off of work to get moved in but were almost done in 4 days.    Lots of fishing time ahead.   
  Going on a scouting mission today.  Sandy Pond Steak House here we come !

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #1488 on: Feb 11, 2012, 08:22 AM »
b-cons   has   been  right  and  has  tried  to  warn  people  without  alarming  them  ,  problem  is    ,  we  tell  the  truth  and   a  few  others   like  to   underser   score   whats  being  said  ....  just  be  careful  in  all  honesty  the  condtions  are     aweful!  carry  a  spud  wear  a  pfd!  pay  attention  ..... 

Offline emtorn

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #1489 on: Feb 11, 2012, 08:43 AM »
I also have heard from a buddy that is a regular at the pond that the conditions are poor to say the least for a large portion of the pond. 

Don't understand why guys would come on here looking for info and not heed the warnings of the regulars on here like trapper and bcons?  If you are looking for info and you are not going to listen to the guys that always seem to post straight up reports than why bother looking on here??

I wonder if the main lake has a lot to do with the crap ice.  It has been a unseasonably warm winter and the main lake water temp has to be warmer than the pond. With the winds pushing the warmer Ontario water through the channel.......I wonder if its melting the ice from underneath just as fast or in some spots faster than the air temps can make it right now?

Offline Dogger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1490 on: Feb 11, 2012, 08:58 AM »
I also have heard from a buddy that is a regular at the pond that the conditions are poor to say the least for a large portion of the pond. 

Don't understand why guys would come on here looking for info and not heed the warnings of the regulars on here like trapper and bcons?  If you are looking for info and you are not going to listen to the guys that always seem to post straight up reports than why bother looking on here??

I wonder if the main lake has a lot to do with the crap ice.  It has been a unseasonably warm winter and the main lake water temp has to be warmer than the pond. With the winds pushing the warmer Ontario water through the channel.......I wonder if its melting the ice from underneath just as fast or in some spots faster than the air temps can make it right now?

I was out last Wednesday and you could hear the water flowing underneath the ice about 100 or so yards off shore where I was. I reached in the hole for a couple fish and it felt warmer than it should be. Ice was very bubbly and when I left was softening up on top. This was in front of the wigwam. Left the ice at 1:00 with just under 4". I have no idea what has happened since then, but I can tell you that the nice wood shanty that was on top of the water the previous Sunday was halfway in the drink when I left... Any current reports would be great. I know there are derbies there today and tomorrow so we should get some decent reports on ice conditions. I agree with the previous posts, have the proper safety equipment with you if you go out.

Offline Gill Ripper I

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1491 on: Feb 11, 2012, 10:13 AM »
New member here.   Just moved to the area from the southern tier.  I'm settled half way between Sandy Pond and Oneida lake but have rarely fished either body of water.
  Did a search on Sandy Pond and just about every result mentioned this site so I checked it out and was glad I did .    Tons of good info on both waters.   Hope I can run into some of you guys once I get settled into the new house this week.   Took 2 weeks off of work to get moved in but were almost done in 4 days.    Lots of fishing time ahead.   
  Going on a scouting mission today.  Sandy Pond Steak House here we come !
Ninety percent of fishing is half mental :)

Offline Gill Ripper I

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1492 on: Feb 11, 2012, 10:14 AM »
 :)Welcome aboard Munson.  :tipup:
Ninety percent of fishing is half mental :)

Offline Dogger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1493 on: Feb 11, 2012, 10:35 AM »
Just got off the phone with GP marina. Report is almost 4" of ice. Guys were doing good but ice could be iffy.... I have a buddy fishing the derby today on North Pond... I'll post his ice conditions later... I'm gonna fish it tomorrow I think... later

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #1494 on: Feb 11, 2012, 11:31 AM »
4 inches  of  iffy  ice  !!!!   and  i  got  to  tell  you  thats   true!   yet   we   got  a   member  1st  post  reporting  5  to  8  inches !!!!  amazing  ....  i  seen  people  crawling  on  there  bellys  on  the   canal  in  phoenix    call  and  report  it   "oswego  county  rescue  removes  them "     PROFESSIONALS  !!!!   that  have  been  trained   to   say  when  things  arn't  save  ...ice  less  then  2  inches!!!    yet    so  much  negative  feed  back  adk  had  to  lock  the  thread!.....  i  get  poked   fun  of    for   wearing  a  floatation  suit  and  carrying  a  spud?????

no  one  is  saying  don't  fish  ...  but  were  all  working  with  honeycombed  ice!   use  your  head  and  be  perpaired !  i  have  come  to  the  conclusion   it's   not  if  someone  goes  threw  this   year  its   how  many  go  in  and   if  they  get  out  safely  ....  i  been  ice  fishing  50  years  and  never  seen  ice  like  this  ........

Offline Jigger

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #1495 on: Feb 11, 2012, 12:15 PM »
4 inches of ice wigwam side with open water about 200yards out from east ave towards hognose and open water on the south side of green point marina.I love to fish as much as anyone but with these conditions I plan on waiting and with another warm up the end of next week will only make conditions worse.

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #1496 on: Feb 11, 2012, 01:38 PM »
booggy   cray  year   and  now  people  are   being   crazy  ,  problem  is  there  not   doing  it  themselves  they  post  8  inches  and  send    unknowing  people !!!!   you  can't  trust  a  report  i  will  not  report  how  thick  is  is!   whats  there  is   honeycombed  !  and  it  can  change  FAST!!!!   if  you  go   get  a  spud  ...you  can  get  cheapie   heavy   ones   from  home   depot   for   18   bucks  or   decent   light  ones   24   bass  pro  ......  check   before  you  step!

Offline cush34

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1497 on: Feb 11, 2012, 01:42 PM »
thanks jboggy and all the others for the good info. I guess ill try to find something on Oneida. Anyone know of the safest conditions out there for tomorrow looking to bring a couple newbies and i don't wanna freak anyone out on there first trip on the ice?
thanks again yall, Eric

Offline FishTank19

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #1498 on: Feb 11, 2012, 02:14 PM »
As you all may have noticed I stopped reporting on the ice thickness... FYI I am not fishing the pond at this time especially now with skimmed over gas pockets Yikes! I'll stick with coyote hunting for a while longer...

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #1499 on: Feb 11, 2012, 02:22 PM »
smart  move 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.