Author Topic: Looking for custom rod for jumbos!  (Read 2183 times)

Offline Fishin Friesz

• Team IceShanty Regular
Looking for custom rod for jumbos!
« on: Nov 19, 2014, 11:46 AM »
Girlfriend wants to get me a custom ice rod for Xmas so I'm on the hunt for the perfect one.  Rod will mainly be used for jumbo perch, usually fishing deep (30'+) with halis and spoons.   May also hook into trout or walleye with it.  Already have some good noodle rods so would love a super sensitive jigging rod. Maybe around 28" cuz it will be used in a shelter at times.  Been looking at a tuned up custom precision rod, or a thorne bros perch sweetheart. Anyone have any experience with these? Or any others? Thank you for any help!

Offline HuntHard

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • If I'm Not Fishin I'm Wishin Vexilar Rocks
Re: Looking for custom rod for jumbos!
« Reply #1 on: Nov 19, 2014, 11:50 AM »
You should check out Glacial Lakes Rods, Andy Stromness Customs. He is on this site I bought a custom from them last year and it looks great but performs better.
If at first you don't succeed at ice fishing

Then drink another Cold Beer                     

Offline dirtymike

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Nov 19, 2014, 12:02 PM »
I have both the sweetheart and precision.  You won't miss with either of them.  TUCR comes standard with REC guides.  Not much of an issue if you're fishing out of a house all the time.  Price-wise, they're in the same ballpark. 

Offline tswoboda

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Nov 19, 2014, 12:06 PM »
I'll add the DH perch pounder to the list.  All rods mentioned are great perch/light walleye rods.  Do your gf a favor and save her $25 bucks by getting single foot fly guides rather than REC Recoils... ZERO difference in performance and BIG difference in price.

Offline Vex-Um

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Nov 19, 2014, 12:15 PM »
I have both the sweetheart and precision.  You won't miss with either of them.  TUCR comes standard with REC guides.  Not much of an issue if you're fishing out of a house all the time.  Price-wise, they're in the same ballpark.

Ditto, I have both as well and they are fine tuned fishing machines and very versitle.  I use my perch sweetheart for 30'+ deep perch and even 80' deep small lakers. 
Rippin' Lips and Jerkin' Jaws

Offline tswoboda

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Nov 19, 2014, 12:52 PM »
I use my perch sweetheart for 30'+ deep perch and even 80' deep small lakers.
Here's a 32" TUCR Precision with a 10.8# laker on the other end.  I've caught about a dozen with it, super fun but definitely underpowered on lakers over 6 lbs.

Offline Yankee Troller

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Nov 19, 2014, 01:06 PM »
I have the Thorne Bros Perch Sweetheart, and a good friend of mine has the TUCR. Can't go wrong with either. It's great for perch in deep water. Have also used it with light spoons for Walleye, and it works great for that too. I used mine, which is 30", in a 1 man flip over with no issues. The REC eyes are nice, and makes the rod light. Have fun picking out the guide wrap colors!
Clam Pro & Yukon TC
Humminbird ICE55 & ICE HELIX 7
Thorne Bros Custom Ice Rods - Quiverstick, Power Noodle, Perch Sweetheart, Med Walleye Sweetheart, MH Walleye Sweetheart, and Deadstick
Daiwa Laguna Reels
Strikemaster 10" Lazer Pro & 6" Lazer
Ice Fishing Innovations Rod Locker

Offline jwetovick

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Nov 19, 2014, 04:57 PM »
any of the ones mentioned so far will work real nice.
X2 on passing on the recoils. Have both and definately not worth $30 or so extra compared to a reg lightweight fly guide. I have a perch sweetheart in 28in and it seems to be nice (have not fished it yet) however that thing was $120 by the time it got to my door. This was my first custom and since then I've been building my own and using various blanks including TB, DH, and MHX from mudhole. I will say the mudhole blanks are very comparable to the custom ones sold for much higher. $120 is way too much in my opinion for a custom but like I said it was my first one so I went all out with REC, syncork, etc just for the sole fact I wanted to compare it to the rods I have been building. Can build a MHX rod that is very similar to the perch sweetheart for about $45 no including time to build it (few hours). After all that rambling on, if your not into building them then do yourself and just get a perch sweetheart from TB and a Walley Stinger from DH. This will give you a M and MH action and ordering without recoils they will run you about $65 each plus some shipping. This will also allow you to compare the craftsmanship between the two for future purchases as custom rods are addicting. Good luck with whatever you get.

Offline MNLumpy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Nov 19, 2014, 05:08 PM »
TUCR Quick Tip -1 or -2 depending on the size of spoon you are jigging. Give them a call they will lead you in the right direction.  Also I love there EVA handle. 

Offline greenbackhunter

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Nov 19, 2014, 05:12 PM »
You will probably not get it before Christmas... Don't mean to be a killjoy, but check on an eta when you order it. Most builders are in full swing now.

Offline Dark Cloud

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Nov 19, 2014, 05:16 PM »
I have the panfish sweetheart and the perch sweetheart... Id go with the panfish for small spoons and jigging raps. The perch to me is a lt walleye rod. Plus they may have a 28in in stock ready to ship. I have a 32in panfish sweetheart and its my fav for #2 raps and 1/16oz spoons....

Offline stpaulslouch

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Nov 19, 2014, 06:41 PM »
I love my TB Perch Sweethearts.  I also like DH and TUCR but I dont like that TUCR only uses 4 guides on their 28" as it slows down the action.  The DH is nice too but the TB rod has a stiffer backbone down into the handle.  Unfortunately TB won't make it for you sigh fly guides.

Here's myrecommendarion, if you only want 1 rod get a TB Perch SH with the 6" handle and recoils.  If you want to spend another $20-30 and get 2 rods go with a DH Perch Pounder and Walleye Stinger  with Fly guides. 

I know a lot of people say the Recoils are not necessary, I can confidently say they are noticeably lighter than the fly guides I've used on some rods I've built.  As I'll only make a few more from time to time for myself I'll be using Recoils from now on.

Offline jammer icecube

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Danbury Fish & Game Hardwater Tour
« Reply #12 on: Nov 19, 2014, 07:09 PM »
Im a huge fan of my perch sweethart with fly reel handle , its my go to jumbo and crappie set up.

Offline Cantgetenough

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Nov 19, 2014, 07:53 PM »
Thorne Brothers all the way I 3TB rods and love them all. Good luck getting a custom rod by Xmas or even February most are backed with orders already!!!!
Be Safe, Be Smart, Have a Great Time!!!

Offline Muskyrush

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Nov 19, 2014, 08:23 PM »
You can prolly order a stock 28" with recoils from TB otherwise you'll be waiting awhile on it.

Offline Fishin Friesz

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Nov 21, 2014, 12:21 PM »
Thanks for all of the replies guys! I am going to start calling a few of these companies and see what they recommend.  I was pretty certain that I would not have the rod before Christmas but that isn't really a big deal.  I don't think I've really talked to anyone that has a rod from any of the companies listed that hasn't been pleased.  Appreciate all the help!

Offline hesseltine32

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Yelling at the fish on my screen
« Reply #16 on: Nov 21, 2014, 05:57 PM »
The GF put in a order for a perch sweetheart for me last week said it would ship in two weeks.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.