Author Topic: Jaw Jacker pricing increase  (Read 3619 times)

Offline waterlike

• Team IceShanty Addict
Jaw Jacker pricing increase
« on: Oct 19, 2021, 12:34 PM »
It appears the jaw jacker has went up in price by almost $20.  Now 59.99 in most places.  Jigging jaw Jacker base went up too.  Im wondering if its a supply chain issue or just general price increases.  Unfortunate.  $59 seems way expensive even though its my most important tool for some species.  If you can find it cheaper, which i see in one or two places, better snag them now

Offline matzilla

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Jaw Jacker pricing increase
« Reply #1 on: Oct 19, 2021, 01:40 PM »

Catchin' Fish

Offline WindRiderGear

• Iceshanty Sponsor
  • Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Oct 19, 2021, 02:33 PM »
I think you are going to see everything going up in price. It doesn't really matter if it is made here or overseas, the costs for raw materials are shooting through the roof (Polyethylene for example is up like 160% this year). We tried to hold our prices the same, but shipping last year for a container was 7k, this year it was 25k. So for the 1600 ice suits in that container we went from paying 4.3/suit for shipping to 15.62/suit and then domestic shipping has gone up too!

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #3 on: Oct 19, 2021, 02:34 PM »
Yea, looking at lures and other things and seeing how the price hike has hit things.  Then supply chain issues and transportation stagnation hits things with more delays.  Add in the society of self privileged self entitled workforce and meeeehhhhhh.

That is what it is now.  Sometimes having the product at full price is better than none at the sale price.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #4 on: Oct 19, 2021, 02:38 PM »
  Price went up because all the Pennsylvania guys are buying them….  ;D ;D
Make your own. And don’t use the rat trap method.    Easy and cheap…
 And you can make them custom for different style rods.. ;)
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline jrjach75

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Oct 19, 2021, 02:57 PM »
I think you are going to see everything going up in price. It doesn't really matter if it is made here or overseas, the costs for raw materials are shooting through the roof (Polyethylene for example is up like 160% this year). We tried to hold our prices the same, but shipping last year for a container was 7k, this year it was 25k. So for the 1600 ice suits in that container we went from paying 4.3/suit for shipping to 15.62/suit and then domestic shipping has gone up too!

Domestic shipping is crazy, I thought people were exaggerating, until I tried to ship something USPS yesterday. I used to buy and sell a lot on Ebay, not that long ago, and think I have a pretty good idea on shipping. I was guessing the 7lb box I was going to send would cost around $20 at most. USPS quoted me $62!!!

Online grizzlyhackle

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Oct 19, 2021, 03:06 PM »

Offline kasilofchrisn

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Oct 19, 2021, 04:09 PM »
I don't use the jawjackers anyway.
The one I had I gave away.
There are much better products on the market that work much better!
Personally I'm fond of the Alaska salmon bear product.
Yeah it seems the cost of everything is going up though.
That's just another reason to make the majority of my own tackle!
KasilofChrisN
"I listen to the voices in my tackle box"

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #8 on: Oct 19, 2021, 04:28 PM »
Make your own for $10. I made 2. "Haulin Ash Automatic Fisherman" on YouTube.

"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline Fisherman 1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Fish..the other white meat
« Reply #9 on: Oct 19, 2021, 07:49 PM »
Everything is going up, just looked at a medium Off Shore planer board and just about dropped a load, over $60 for one piece of plastic, nuts.   I'll be doing some Mcguyvering to try and build my own.

Offline parker

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Oct 20, 2021, 05:49 AM »
http://shop.wehookit.com/

These work very well. I have caught a ton of finicky trout on them.
is there anything better than a day on the ice?

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
« Reply #11 on: Oct 20, 2021, 07:06 AM »
price was already too high.  like said make your own.  i love the pvc ones i put together for 5 of them for 20$.
real fishermen don't ask "where you catch those"

OANN the real story

- member here since -2003- IN.

Offline krispcritter

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Oct 20, 2021, 07:18 AM »
You can get boxes of paperclips and string for that price. Make your own and customize to your target fish. Easy to make.
To make a small fortune in business start with a Large one.,

Online MumbleSEED

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • "If you plant corn you get corn!"
« Reply #13 on: Oct 20, 2021, 07:52 AM »
  Price went up because all the Pennsylvania guys are buying them….  ;D ;D
Make your own. And don’t use the rat trap method.    Easy and cheap…
 And you can make them custom for different style rods.. ;)

I agree with this whole statement.  Us dang PA guys did our best to have them approved by the commission. 

Nonetheless, make your own way cheaper and can be modified accordingly just as stated above!  Plus if the jaw jacker is illegal in your state, the homemade auto fisherman looks like a rod holder.   :whistle:
If only God would come down in the form of a man and explain everything to us.

Online grizzlyhackle

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Oct 20, 2021, 09:49 AM »
Easy to make your own and a lot of guys do - but I personally like the way they pack down, the function and adjustability, and have had good success with them. I've been on the bandwagon since they were originally released.  I have a couple of the jawjacker jigging bases, so I use the jawjacker hook setters for those also.

Won't be buying any more jawjackers because of the price increase and I'm pretty stocked, but I haven't seen a homemade jawjacker that aesthetically looks very good either. To each their own and as long as you're catching fish thats all that matters.

Offline CoachWalleye74

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • SD
« Reply #15 on: Oct 20, 2021, 12:51 PM »
The Alaska Salmon Bear "AK Fish Trap" is something I have wanted to try for 2 years now but they have never been in stock (to my knowledge).  Reached out a few times and was told I would be contacted when in stock to no avail.  Too bad, looks like a good product.  I specifically like how you don't have to overly pre-load the tension on the rod.  Hard on rods, but what is most worrisome to me is others 'setting" the jawjacker with the potential harm that could come from being set incorrectly or not fully and having that rod snap back in someones face. 

Offline primepin65

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Oct 21, 2021, 08:28 AM »
the Salmon Bear traps look awesome. I wonder if they are still making them or closed up shop and forgot to take down the website.
"The mountain without is merely a crutch to help us deal with the mountain within."

Offline FishGut

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Oct 21, 2021, 09:21 AM »
Everything is Out of Stock on their website save T shirts and stickers. I'm guessing they went under.
Nebraska certified Fishing Instructor

Offline TheCrappieFisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Oct 22, 2021, 04:22 PM »
Everything is Out of Stock on their website save T shirts and stickers. I'm guessing they went under.

Otter, Eskimo, Marcum, vexilar etc would all be out of business as well then..

Companies focus on stocking the dealers first and then add inventory to their website for direct purchases.  Right now is stocking time. Gotta support the main avenue of sales first.

Offline kasilofchrisn

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Oct 22, 2021, 06:18 PM »
the Salmon Bear traps look awesome. I wonder if they are still making them or closed up shop and forgot to take down the website.
I just sent them an email and a message via Facebook messenger from their Facebook page.
I will let you all know what I find out.
I hope they are still making them as they are the best product on the market.
Hands down better than the jawjacker or the HT product.
I have two of them and I am certainly not looking to give them up.
But with covid-19 and this uncertain economy one never knows what might have happened to them or if they are simply waiting on materials!
KasilofChrisN

Offline kasilofchrisn

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Oct 22, 2021, 06:23 PM »
I just got a response via Facebook Messenger grom Butch at AK salmonbear.
Here is what he said:

Issues with shipping. We hope to have some in stock by January. And look fir the roll out of our new web site for one stop shopping. Thanks for asking! Butch
KasilofChrisN

Offline CoachWalleye74

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • SD
« Reply #21 on: Oct 24, 2021, 11:08 AM »
KASIL… I got the same response. I told him to put me down for 1 for sure, maybe 2.

Offline SPIN 1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Oct 25, 2021, 03:44 PM »

rat trap 2$ assorted stuff laying around ez pz same as salmon bears pretty much
More than 3 cars in my driveway when I get home ? Probably an intervention! I’m outta there!

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook

OANN the real story

Offline SPIN 1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Oct 28, 2021, 09:42 AM »
Yah little bit much.  Easier to just remove wire hold down to the side of the trap and z bend as the release
More than 3 cars in my driveway when I get home ? Probably an intervention! I’m outta there!

Offline Flyboyroy35

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Oct 28, 2021, 06:13 PM »
I got some JJs on line for about $45 and free shipping..  im gonna make some, but imsure the  "boughten ones" will work just as well as home made and they will pack better

Offline waterlike

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #26 on: Oct 28, 2021, 07:19 PM »
Yeah I appreciate that alot of guys on here are handy and can put together gadgets for very cheap.  I have fished with some guys that have built their own.  They caught some fish, but they never seem to do as well actual jaw jackers.   Jaw Jackers are very well engineered.  And i have had some of mine for 4 seasons now, and im not easy on gear.  For me the consistency of the product, its packability, durability, and adjustability make it a much better product than a homemade one.  Now is it worth the $50 price difference?  For most probably not.  Will depend on the fisherman.  For me, probably.  SPortsmans for 44 isnt bad, and if it stays that way they always have sales around thanksgiving that will probably bring it down to its old price of 39. 

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
« Reply #27 on: Oct 29, 2021, 05:45 AM »
waterlike, thats not entirely true either.

the pvc ones adjust to any length rod(if u make them that way), trigger can be set as light as you want/need, they pack down by just pulling the T end off and tossing it in your bucket.  for durability,  unless you stomp on one it should last your lifetime.

the original was called the "steelie slammer" and was invented in late 60s early 70s sometime.  the jawjackers are just an imitation of the slammers of yesteryear.  i made some in the 80s when i seen them in in-fisherman magazine.  worked ok but those wood ones had some of the bad attributes waterlike mentioned.  the new "homemade" ones have those bugs worked out. 

OANN the real story

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #28 on: Oct 29, 2021, 06:20 AM »
waterlike, thats not entirely true either.

the pvc ones adjust to any length rod(if u make them that way), trigger can be set as light as you want/need, they pack down by just pulling the T end off and tossing it in your bucket.  for durability,  unless you stomp on one it should last your lifetime.

the original was called the "steelie slammer" and was invented in late 60s early 70s sometime.  the jawjackers are just an imitation of the slammers of yesteryear.  i made some in the 80s when i seen them in in-fisherman magazine.  worked ok but those wood ones had some of the bad attributes waterlike mentioned.  the new "homemade" ones have those bugs worked out.

This.  ;)
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #29 on: Oct 29, 2021, 07:30 AM »

Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.