New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: how old were u wen????  (Read 6689 times)

Offline icechip

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: how old were u wen????
« Reply #30 on: Oct 28, 2006, 01:33 PM »
I was born in an ice hut in northern Finland. Don't remember much about those early years but dad took me out a few times when I was 5. I think I had a rod in my hand then.

Offline piscesman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #31 on: Nov 05, 2006, 07:52 PM »
Started with a friend of mine on Keuka Lake at age about 11 yrs. Went every year for 5 years then had to work!!!!!! Was out of it for the next 25 years. Have been back in full swing the last 3 years. Can't stop me now...............
      Kim     :tipup: :tipup: :tipup: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
"To have and to hold till death do us part" really refers to a man and his ICE FISHING EQUIPMENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline shawner

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #32 on: Nov 05, 2006, 09:28 PM »

I was about 8. 32 years later, I'm still loving it and have a ten year old that started when he was 6. Hopefully we'll have alot more years of hard water together! :tipup:

Offline edfalc

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #33 on: Nov 05, 2006, 09:35 PM »
this is only my 4th year on the ice and im almost 40
Shut up and FISH

I Fish for Those who Can't

Offline zamboni

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #34 on: Nov 05, 2006, 09:53 PM »
I remember me and my dad meeting his parents out on the lake when I was like 4 or 5. Everyone sat on buckets and my grandma was getting skunked, so she moved to a different hole, I took over her old hole and started pounding the Bluegills and Crappies, she was pi**ed! Both of my grandparents have since passed, and I am just glad I got to do stuff like that with them when I had the chance.

Offline ICE4ME75

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #35 on: Nov 06, 2006, 02:26 PM »
I'VE BEEN RUNNING ON THE HARD STUFF FOR ABOUT 8 YEARS NOW.  A FRIEND OF ME GOT ME HOOKED ON A LITTLE POND IN HIS AUNT'S BACK YARD PULLING OUT 3 PICK'S IN THE 19"- 23" RANGE AND ABOUT 4 DECENT BASS ON A BORED SATURDAY AFTERNOON. WE USED AN OLD AUGER THAT I GUESS THEY CALL A "SCOOP". NO IDEA WHAT THE ACTUAL NAME IS BUT HE STILL HAS IT I THINK. BEEN HOOKED EVERY SINCE. I'VE GOTTEN ABOUT 8- 10 OF MY FRIENDS HOOKED ON IT SINCE BUT MY FAVORITE FISHING PARTNER HAS PROBABLY GOT TO BE MY WIFE. I BEGGED HER TO GO FOR 2 SEASONS AND WHEN I FINALLY GOT HER OUT SHE LOVED IT. KNOW I BARELY GO WITHOUT HER. ;D

Offline roygpa

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Where's da Ice?
« Reply #36 on: Nov 06, 2006, 05:42 PM »
I was about 13 or 14. That would be 32 years ago. It was on a local lake and I remember that my friend Dave caught a bluegill and cooked it on a grill made from a sapling that he cut up. I didn't catch anything that day.

Fast forward to the winter of 83, when two co-workers and I went to a stocked trout lake. One of my tip ups tripped and I ran to it and started to retrieve the line and it started to pull back. For every foot of line I brought in another two feet were pulled out. I was begging my buddies for assistance and they just stood behind me. After a few minutes I heard them laughing and turned to look to see one of them pulling line in when mine was going out and vice versa. The trout on my line had tangled into theirs and they had landed my fish but hung onto the line pulling and tugging and have a ball. After fighting for a few minutes they couldn't contain themselves.

At least i got a trout out of the deal.

Roy
Southwestern, PA

Offline Pasquatch

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #37 on: Nov 07, 2006, 03:27 PM »
My first time was when I was about 7 years old. My dad took me up to Lake George for some salmon fishing. A blizzard blew up the lake, it took us an hour to find all our tipups, and I was more or less frozen solid. Its pretty amazing that I ever went out again.

Offline PigShanks

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #38 on: Nov 07, 2006, 04:32 PM »
1971 when I was 5 my Dad started taking me out, and both my sons were 5 when they came out with me, but my daughter never ever wanted to because she hates the cold and doesn't like fishing of any kind. (YET)

Offline Dr. BlueGill

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • November 18, 2008
« Reply #39 on: Nov 08, 2006, 06:59 PM »
As soon as I could walk since my dad got an extra 5 tip-ups out of it  ;D
Rob Taylor

Offline jayswimmer09

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • flag!!! dont u love that word?
« Reply #40 on: Nov 08, 2006, 07:06 PM »
13 but was a ice fisherman at heart from the start!!

Offline Booker

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Catch and Release
« Reply #41 on: Nov 08, 2006, 08:17 PM »
I was about 8 or 9. Young enough to let the spud go down through the ice. Dad wasn't to happy with me at the time, but he had another one at home so he let me go again. This one had a rope hand loop on it. That was back in the late 50's

Offline pokerman

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #42 on: Nov 09, 2006, 08:11 AM »
Booker:

You're not a true ice fisherman until:  (1) you've lost a spud, 'business end' of an auger from reeling backwards, skimmer, or minnow dip net into the water; and (2)  you didn't bring a replacement for the lost item with you. 

Much to my father's chagrin, I'm a true ice fisherman many times over  ;D.

Pokerman

Offline iceman_4432

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #43 on: Nov 09, 2006, 10:23 AM »
First started ice fishing when I was 17.  Absolutely loved it and have been doing it for over 20 years now. 

Have my kids very much into it ... the youngest is 5  ;D

Offline fishfinder24

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #44 on: Nov 20, 2006, 07:59 AM »
Don't know the age when I started-I was ice fishin w/ my dad as far back as I can remember. 

Offline Jack Hunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #45 on: Nov 20, 2006, 02:12 PM »
I started at 29...way too much time lost, but I'll  make up for it.  Won't make the same mistake w/ my son.

Jack

Offline oldfox

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #46 on: Nov 20, 2006, 02:37 PM »
Hummm...Mom said I was around 6 when I first went with Dad....can't remember back that far..that would be 61 + years ago !...

Offline ice boy19

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #47 on: Nov 20, 2006, 03:13 PM »
wow oldfox that is quite some tome ago... is it more fun now or bak then with the change of all the equipment and electronics and all???

NEW YORK'S #1 GAMEFISH

Offline oldfox

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #48 on: Nov 20, 2006, 03:55 PM »
wow oldfox that is quite some tome ago... is it more fun now or bak then with the change of all the equipment and electronics and all???

My first recollection ice boy was skating and sledding, while Dad fished...I remember him letting me pull my first fish through the ice, I think it was a white perch....we fished in the open, with a small fire along the shoeline to warm our hands and feet...we seemed to always bring fish home for supper...today is different, but I am really enjoying all the technology that has changed the way we icefish...just being able to get out there and enjoy nature is the best part...catching the fish is just a bonus  ;D

Offline crayfishbob

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #49 on: Nov 20, 2006, 09:03 PM »
I was about 17 when my buddy Hank took me to sandy pond.That was 30 years ago.  What really sunk in was he told me to drill alot of holes and move around alot. I think that was the best advice I ever got. I never used a flasher or electronics, just gut instincts.

Retired , but still recovering ice fishing addict.

Offline Hardwaternubie53

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #50 on: Nov 22, 2006, 07:45 AM »
I went a couple of times, as a kid, with my Scout Troop. Then a good friend took me once as a young adult. Wasn't really thrilled with it. Then, about three years ago, my youngest son & I tried it as something different to do for his 15th birthday. We entered a tournament on Saratoga Lake (NY). Poorly equipped, not having any idea what we were doing, we had a BALL! Didn't catch anything. Met some great folks that taught us a lot. My son is no longer interested in the sport. He is at that age where cars, work & girls look better than a fish does and Dad is a dummy (teenagers- gotta love 'em!). However, I have gone hard core! I mostly do the tournaments. Last year at Carouga & Piseco, I started catching some NICE Lakers! I'm PERMENATELY HOOKED (no pun intended)!!! Have won some door prizes in the contests (no money yet & don't care if I ever win any money or big prizes). But, I go mainly because I love the sport & the people. I am SO hardcore, I usually go out the day before and sleep out on the ice in my portable shelter, on a lawn chair. Got a heater, a one burner stove, a portable "john" sub-zero sleeping bag & a BIG sled (hand pulled, not snowmobile). This combinds my love of camping (from my scouting days) with my love of fishing. By the way, I am 53. Just goes to show that this sport can be for anyone, at any age! And my doctor likes it too, as I get LOTS of exercise pulling all of that gear on & off the ice. There are LOTS of benefits to this sport! My wife thinks I'm nuts, but she doesn't say much because it gets me out of the house & I leave her alone for entire weekends. COME ON HARDWATER!!!

Good Luck to ALL for a GREAT Season!!!

Offline Tommyboy18769

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #51 on: Nov 22, 2006, 02:49 PM »
just last year i got hooked(no pun intended) but my first time was like when i was 7 or 8

Offline hard_water

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • rippin lips all over NY
« Reply #52 on: Nov 25, 2006, 12:34 AM »
I was 11 when i first went but i got hooked about 15 years ago and ill go whenever i can ,and i love trying new techniques for different species.

water
GET THE NET !!!!!!!GET THE NET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #53 on: Nov 25, 2006, 08:27 AM »
I was 10 when my twin brother and I got our first taste of icefishing, My dad built some tip ups out of a section of broomstick with a couple of nails on top to wrap the line around. On one end of the broomstick was a piece of coat hanger twisted into an eyelet to run the line through and on the other end was another piece of coat hander with flag on the end. Two legs were made out of coat hanger again to stand it up, and if a fish got on there the tip up would fall into the hole with the flag pointed up. First place I icefished was a lake known as Groves Pond near Ayer, Massachusetts. We caught mostly bullheads and bluegills on that contraption although we also caught crappies jigging. I actually saw people catching bluegills on tip ups in that lake something I have never see here in Indiana!

After that I was on my own pretty much on my own on the 35 acre "Mirror Lake" pictured below that was a short jaunt through the woods at the former Ft. Devens, Massachusetts. Ice fishing I caught brookies on tips up while standing around a bonefire waiting for the flags to go up. Sorry no icefishing pics. Didn't have a camera back then.

I live in the midwest now but have fond memories of fishing in New England as a kid.

Offline RIVERRAT2

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • try to fish over 200 days a year,have cut back now
« Reply #54 on: Dec 05, 2006, 12:25 PM »
about 5 in 1943 the oldman, my dad,anyway he was cutting ice on our pond
for the milkhouse. and we were fishing the holes he cut but we did not get
any fish,i know there was fish in the pond because in the summer we would
get some,the oldman seen we were not getting any, so he said we will go to
 the river[hudson river] sunday his day off,well we went taking an old 2x6x10
to get on the ice we did get fish but with the ice making it's sound and going
up and down it made a lasting impression
rat :D :D :D
I LOVE FISHING.IT IS A FULLTIME JOB

Offline fishingking

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #55 on: Dec 05, 2006, 12:46 PM »
about 5 in 1943 the oldman, my dad,anyway he was cutting ice on our pond
for the milkhouse. and we were fishing the holes he cut but we did not get
any fish,i know there was fish in the pond because in the summer we would
get some,the oldman seen we were not getting any, so he said we will go to
 the river[hudson river] sunday his day off,well we went taking an old 2x6x10
to get on the ice we did get fish but with the ice making it's sound and going
up and down it made a lasting impression
rat :D :D :D

YOur back :) I Was afraid we lost you over the summer  WB :)
Loose Lips Sink Ships
50,232 Members and 50,232 Lurkers.
Ego's :nono:

pinche

« Reply #56 on: Dec 05, 2006, 12:50 PM »
Its only my third year icefishing so I would of been 30 when I started.

Offline duck doctor

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #57 on: Dec 05, 2006, 03:39 PM »
I was out on the ice I would say around the age of 3 or 4. I am now 25!

Offline Wellsy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Catch and Release...keep only what you need.
« Reply #58 on: Dec 05, 2006, 05:26 PM »
I was 12 and I will never forget it.
It almost made me quit for good. A couple of my dads buddies took me to Saratoga, I remember counting out 35 holes in about 12"-14" of ice (with spud bars) started choppin at 5:00 a.m and got done choppin at around 10:00a.m.
We were off the ice by 12:30 without catchin a thing. And that left a bad taste in my mouth for a long time.
But I have seen the light  8) and I will be on the ice for life.

Offline vermonner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Take me to your icefishing leader
« Reply #59 on: Dec 05, 2006, 05:45 PM »
I think I was 4 or 5.  As the youngest of 5, I think my dad didn't want the day shortened by the little one, so I often stayed at home until my next oldest brother said he wanted to go and I had to do everything he did so I pestered and went.  Loved it.  Icefished until my teens and started to work.  Got back into it last year after a 19 year hiatus and fell right back in love with it.  Guess it was part of me all along.  The good news...My oldest sister wants to get back into it with her boys now that they're older and interested.

The employment of effort, hard work, time, and energy put in locating fish will offend noone.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.