Author Topic: does anyone use this style quick strike rig?  (Read 11027 times)

Offline fishin buddy

• Team IceShanty Regular
does anyone use this style quick strike rig?
« on: Feb 09, 2007, 11:00 AM »

If so how do you get your bait to hang horizontal for presentation? Or am i looking at this wrong to me it looks like the smelt or whatever would be with the head up and tail pointing down.

pcsminer

Re: does anyone use this style quick strike rig?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 09, 2007, 01:18 PM »
The hook that is on then end gets hooked into the head of your bait. The middle hook on this particular rig is adjustable and it gets hooked into the baits back (depending on the bait but usually 1/3 of the way from its head) this will hang the bait horizontally. I quit usuing this type of adjustable rig because after a good size fish it gets all kinked and really dosen't work very well again. I make my own with both hooks crimped in various sizes for different bait sizes. If you still need more info I can post pics if you like.
Or sometime on kip I can show you in person.

Offline fishin buddy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 09, 2007, 09:33 PM »
post some pics if you dont mind ;and what do i all need to make them,let me know when you get a chance. Tks alot :tipup:

Offline jayswimmer09

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • flag!!! dont u love that word?
« Reply #3 on: Feb 09, 2007, 09:35 PM »
i use them for musky all the time. it isnt too bad just hold your bait up and eye up were the hooks would go you should be able to picture it right

Offline brujharr

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Feb 11, 2007, 10:06 PM »
fishin buddy! Bait size = Hook size? Just don't use a crimp sleeve. Let the second hook, freely slide on the leader through the eye of the hook. Easy to adjust, balance, and this way a steel leader won't kink, or mono leader break. If the fish isn't on the  first/head hook,  but in the middle of the bait on the second hook, it will slide down,and bottom out, on the end by the first hook. ( On the hook set! ) Play and Pull!  :-X

Offline Rumrunner

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Awwwww, go for it.
« Reply #5 on: Feb 26, 2007, 07:00 PM »
I have made and used et ups like that but i use a chunk of rubber tubing instead....for the kink, breakage reasons noted above.  they work well.

M.I.R.C. 

Offline pikemaster789

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Feb 26, 2007, 07:26 PM »
I personally shy away from trebles because of a higher injury rate than the single hooks. Just my prefrence.
                      The official Padwan Shirt of the MIRC    MIRC! iced out!

Offline brujharr

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Mar 02, 2007, 08:12 PM »
I'm also having doubt's with the use of treble hooks, pikemaster789.    :'(

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #8 on: Mar 02, 2007, 08:29 PM »
I personally shy away from trebles because of a higher injury rate than the single hooks. Just my prefrence.

No offence, but BS. You can set the hook as soon as the flag pops instead of letting them swallow it. I have never killed a fish that I know of with a quick strike. I have pucker hooked a few, and I have killed a few very nice fish with singles.

fishin buddy! Bait size = Hook size? Just don't use a crimp sleeve. Let the second hook, freely slide on the leader through the eye of the hook. Easy to adjust, balance, and this way a steel leader won't kink, or mono leader break. If the fish isn't on the  first/head hook,  but in the middle of the bait on the second hook, it will slide down,and bottom out, on the end by the first hook. ( On the hook set! ) Play and Pull!  :-X

If you don't use the crimp sleeve the first hook slides and does nothing for you until the second hook rips loose. How do you set a hook that slides freely on the line anyhow? Who cares if it gets kinked up? You can tie a dozen of them up in 20 minutes and you can recycle the hooks from your kinked up rigs. Surfstrand is cheaper than dirt and so are crimp sleeves, those are the only components that go in the trash anyhow.

Offline brujharr

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Mar 03, 2007, 08:22 PM »
Hey, Skiper! Thanks for the heads up, on the picture problem's! Two questions, for you. AM I, using the rig wrong, or just backwards?   ???   Also, what is a pucker hooked fish?    ???   Plus side, most of my rigs see multiable fish.

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #10 on: Mar 04, 2007, 05:36 PM »
A "pucker hooked fish" is an unfortunate bugger that gets the hook into its esophagus (the pucker in the back of the throat). This usually comes from letting a pike have the bait long enough to swallow it, this is almost essential for a good hook set with a single hook. With a quick strike rig you can set the hooks as soon as the flag pops to reduce the chance of a deeply hooked fish. The only down side is if they swallow a quick strike because you didn't see the flag go up, you may as well get the fillet knife out. I have never had this problem because I keep my traps close and keep an eye on them.

I hook the bait with the end hook near the head and the rear hook slightly behind the dorsal fin. I always leave a little slack in the leader between the two hooks, it seems to help rip the bait off the hook when I pull for the hook set. I use a crimp sleeve to anchor the second hook, but I don't crimp it so it is still adjustable. The second hook will not slide on the leader this way. I used to use the shrink tube rigs, but I found the second hook was never set good. My theory is that the hook just slides down the leader when you pull because it isn't really attached to anything. Think of it this way, put the slider hook half way up the leader and hold it firmly in your fist. Now give the leader a good tug, you didn't hook yourself did you? If the hook slides free, you have no way to set it. I bet you wouldn't want to try that with a hook that is attached to the leader. :pinch:

Here is a pic of one of my rigs. I use 20# uncoated Surfstrand and either no. 8 or 4 hooks depending on bait size. I can usually catch five or six fish before they start getting snarly.

Offline brujharr

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Mar 07, 2007, 08:47 PM »
Thanks, skipper! For the answer, on what's a "pucker hooked fish"!  We've always just said, " In the throat"  Either way, bad news if you want to release the fish!    :-[    :-[

Offline WHITETAIL111

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Mar 07, 2007, 10:00 PM »
I make rigs very similar to skipper.  Its nice when you see the flag go up and run over and just set the hook on the run.  I haven't hooked any deep this way.  I have a post asking about the need for the bait being level.  It appears to have mixed emotions in the icefishing community?  Many have good points to consider.  I'd imagine it all boils down to how successful you personally are when your doing what your doing? If you catch fish when the bait is level...the next time you'll hang it level.  If you catch fish with a dead bait hanging head down then you'll feel confident doing it again.  I haven't had a ton of experience with the level vs. non-level...thus my post.  Quick strike rigs are nice though?  I found that with bigger live baits they just tend to swim normal anyways. 
That taxidermy man back home gonna have a heart attack when he see what I bring'em!!

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #13 on: Mar 08, 2007, 06:15 PM »
I always try to hang them at a 20 to 30 degree angle head down. The minnow instinctively wants to swim down for safety, and I think it encourages them to be more active. It seems the minnow fights against the rig more actively, but this is just a passive observation. I have only fished dead bait a few times, so I have no oppinion on how to hook it.

Offline farmboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Mar 11, 2007, 08:53 PM »
If your worried about kinking, use titanium leaders.  Switched over 2 years ago and never looked back.  I also make my own and I use # 4 or 6 trebles.  Works great.

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #15 on: Mar 13, 2007, 07:07 PM »
http://www.malinco.com/fishing/boa.html this stuff ???

It looks like the ticket! I want to try some. I will order some when the rigs I have are trashed

Offline brujharr

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Mar 13, 2007, 09:44 PM »
My second hook, only slides an inch or two, then bottoms out on the first hook?     :unsure:

Offline farmboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Mar 15, 2007, 08:59 PM »
Yes, that is the type of leader I am talking about, but you have to be careful if you intend to make your own rigs out of this leader material.  The titanium is very difficult to crimp, so you will need to buy leader material with a thin coating of a special adhesive that bonds the leader together, or get the supplier to cut you lengths of material that you wish to make your leaders with, and then ask them to coat both ends of the leader so you can crimp them together.  For instance, I get my supplier to cut mine into 24 inch lengths for my quick strike rigs and get him to apply the adhesive on both ends of the leader so I can effectively crimp the swivel on one end and the treble on the bottom end of the rig.  I'm not sure what type of adhesive you need, but I know you need it to crimp the titanium together.  Hope this helps you ;)

Offline Danny Boy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Pêcheur d'Esox
« Reply #18 on: Mar 15, 2007, 09:41 PM »
I'm with pcsminer on this one.  Usually go out there with about 30 quick strike rigs of various sizes and use the ones that fit my baits.  Also keep the crimped loops on the ends as small as possible.  I'm sure brujharr's rigs work just fine for him, but I don't want any slack in my rigs whatsoever.  For every 1/16" I move my hand when setting the hooks, I want the hooks to move 1/16" as well.

Also, if you're really concerned about not hurting the fish, getting to the traps and setting the hook quickly is probably alot more important than hook choice.  I'm using trebles and releasing almost all of them just fine.  Haviing a good set of cutters that can get down inside the mouth and cut through the hooks like butter is key.  Whatever you use, good luck!     

Offline Neptune

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "The Kokanee Killers"
« Reply #19 on: Nov 23, 2007, 11:00 AM »
http://www.malinco.com/fishing/boa.html this stuff ???

It looks like the ticket! I want to try some. I will order some when the rigs I have are trashed

Skipper did you ever try this?

I just got some BOA and was going to make some rigs up but was wondering if you had tried it yet or not....

Good Fishing :tipup:

Offline icontact

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Nov 23, 2007, 11:23 AM »
I use the horizontal quick strike rigs, small about 3" for walleye and the larger 5" for  pike.These are not adjustable but hold the bait horizontal, I found them to work quite well.
I gotta chubby

Offline Haywood

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Nov 23, 2007, 01:41 PM »

I make my own and they look like this.  My top hook is actually on a clevis, so it is loose on the line, so i can adjust to the size of the bait.  With Quick strikes, I like to use as small of hooks as I can.  I have checked with my camera and live bait doesn't stay perfectly lever for very long at a time, but it looks like it is struggling and that's what the fish like. 
The horizontal rigs are great for dead baits and for use with those jigging tip ups.

Offline Sike-1

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Im A Husband, Father, Angler, DJ & Producer
« Reply #22 on: Nov 27, 2007, 02:20 AM »
i make mine using 30 lb power pro for mainline, a musky sized split ring, and 2, 6 inch titanium XPS leaders in 30 lb test.

simple as pie
Home Lake(s): Big Doe Lake, Skeleton, Buck & Bernard

Anyone Got Any Tips For A Rookie Nipissing Angler, Hoping To Fish It This Season For The 1st time??

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.