Author Topic: Making your own leaders  (Read 19273 times)

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
Re: Making your own leaders
« Reply #30 on: Dec 11, 2012, 04:09 PM »
I used to think crimps were evil........... then I started thinking about our saltwater friends and what they do. I figure if they trust crimps for fish much bigger than I 'm likely to catch, then so can I.

Advantages for crimps: easy, strong, reliable (if done correctly), no tag ends to catch weeds

Disadvantages: extra cost, added weight, possible to install incorrectly,

So....... I still tie up to 60# for those that prefer knots, a three wrap Uni is easy and strong. I crimp some for my personal use but I'm still torn. good thing I like to experiment. All my 100-130# musky leaders are crimped.

For a comprehensive crimping primer check this out: http://www.leadertec.com/tipsandtechniques/crimp_techniques.html

Some of the biggest things I learned was to A - use the proper tool for the crimp style, B - use the proper crimp material based on your leader material and C - leave the ends of the crimp flared out a bit to minimize wear on your leader.

Learn to tie a good knot or crimp properly and you'll be fine. Some folks can't trust either one so they do both. I don't happen to think that's necessary.

/m
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline blackmer826

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #31 on: Dec 11, 2012, 07:15 PM »
sounds good. I actually checked out that site and read through the tips and saved it to my favorites for when my material shows up. one thing i didn't understand in that article was the whole tipabout burning the tag end....i guess i just have to experiment and see what works...unfortunately this may mean loosing a fish, but hopefully not. I have always used steal and fluoro leaders..can't really see a difference in fishi catching ratios, but have never had a knot break(palomar) but have had crimps come undone so....hopefully my crimps are better..then i have the best of both worlds

Offline blackmer826

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #32 on: Dec 12, 2012, 08:58 AM »
does everyone leave a little loop at the hook end so the hook can move a bit or do you tie a knot right tight to the hook? I am not usuing a snap swivel I want to hook direct to the hook/hooks so just wondering what everyone does.

thanks

Offline thefshdentist

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #33 on: Dec 12, 2012, 10:14 AM »
i tie directly to the hook . just my opinion

Offline saxmatt

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #34 on: Dec 12, 2012, 10:16 AM »
does everyone leave a little loop at the hook end so the hook can move a bit or do you tie a knot right tight to the hook? I am not usuing a snap swivel I want to hook direct to the hook/hooks so just wondering what everyone does.

thanks

When I don't use crimps I just tie a loop knot with the hook in the loop. I haven't had one slip yet and it's easy to tie even with thick floro.

Offline blackmer826

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #35 on: Dec 12, 2012, 05:32 PM »
aren't there several loops knot to choose from? i have heard 3-4 diff loop knots to try from others.

Offline saxmatt

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #36 on: Dec 12, 2012, 07:17 PM »
I just make a loop and tie a single overhand knot.

Offline blackmer826

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #37 on: Dec 12, 2012, 08:30 PM »
been doing alot of searching. what i seem to be finding is that a properly crimped leader will not slip, usually something else will fail or the mainline will break from exceeding its strength. Also some people throughout forums tie and crimp, overkill yes but probably provides the best precaution to any slip or breaking....

Offline blackmer826

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #38 on: Dec 14, 2012, 01:49 PM »
crimpers, crimps, and leader material on the way. can't wait to start this experiment....

Offline deadbait dave

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ><(((((((((((((((((((((o>
« Reply #39 on: Dec 14, 2012, 03:44 PM »
crimpers, crimps, and leader material on the way. can't wait to start this experiment....

cranberry lake is in trouble now!  ;D
trout make big pike fat and happy!

Offline blackmer826

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #40 on: Dec 14, 2012, 08:15 PM »
lol.  ;D I dont harm the lake like many others, always catch and release unless the fish are hurt bad. many keep everything they catch and take the big ones outta town to win other derbies. that hurts the lake.

anyways...

Offline Fish_tracker

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Lake Scugog, Ontario
« Reply #41 on: Dec 15, 2012, 01:21 PM »
For musky I always use ball bearing swivels and at least 50 lb flurocarbon ( I have had one musky snap it like thread.)  Other than him, never a break off or knot slip. I always use palomar knots.  For pike this year I am using 60 lb flurocarbon, ball bearing swivels and a trebel.
><(((((((((( {•<  .. .  ..... . ><(((•>

Offline blackmer826

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #42 on: Dec 15, 2012, 03:15 PM »
ya i ordered 80 lb fluoro just so i can hopefully avooid loosin the dream fish.

Offline william bennett

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • " FLAGS UP>>GET IT"
« Reply #43 on: Dec 15, 2012, 11:44 PM »
For musky I always use ball bearing swivels and at least 50 lb flurocarbon ( I have had one musky snap it like thread.)  Other than him, never a break off or knot slip. I always use palomar knots.  For pike this year I am using 60 lb flurocarbon, ball bearing swivels and a trebel.

hey tracker i am wanting to chase musky here in indiana since we dont have a closed season on them.. what actual rig do you use hooks and all... thanks
William Bennett

Everybody needs some form of release.......... I fish
(Grumpy Old Men)

Offline Fish_tracker

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Lake Scugog, Ontario
« Reply #44 on: Dec 16, 2012, 06:09 AM »
Go knots, never had any fail-ever. faster and u can tie in the feild. with 50 lb you will need pliars for a nice tight sinch up.

Offline blackmer826

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #45 on: Dec 18, 2012, 06:08 PM »
alright leader makers. I just got my new cup to cup crimp tool, crimps and my 80 lb seaguar leader material. I am doing the crimps per everyones suggestions and all my research. Burn crimp end so it mushrooms a bit, then do the proper crimp, leaving a 1/16th on each end to flare up away from leader. everything seems to be going good. but when testing how much they can handle, they usually fail at 45-50lbs. maybe it is the way I am testing though. What i did was made up 3 leaders, and put one loop end on my digital game scale that goes to 330lbs. then the other loop end I put a screwdriver through to get some leverage and pull down steadily, not jerking. always breaks around 50lbs. the last one i just broke, the leader material itslef was fresh, no kinks, dings, etc right off the spool and where it broke the leader material broke and frayed like. Am i testing these too hard or what?

thanks

Offline blackmer826

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #46 on: Dec 18, 2012, 06:24 PM »
also messed around with my braided line. don't know what brand it is but its supposed to be 80lb. brand new stuff that I used last yr and never had a break off. this stuff is breaking at like 25-30lbs according to this scale and the mentioned strength test. I must be putting more on it that what is registering on the scale????

Offline joeybutta

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #47 on: Dec 18, 2012, 06:30 PM »
i use 60 pound seaguar fluro and love it .
Exactly what I use. I use crimps ....works great!

Offline blackmer826

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #48 on: Dec 18, 2012, 07:49 PM »
am i actually pulling more on the leader than what the scale is reading? i cant see two different 80 lb line and leader breaking at half strength.

Offline deadbait dave

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #49 on: Dec 18, 2012, 08:13 PM »
here's some guidelines for testing, see if something is different maybe causeing the early termination/ under testing

dbd :tipup:

Step 1
Attach one end of a length of fishing line to a small diameter tree or branch with a uni knot. Form the knot by wrapping the line around the tree or limb and back alongside the main line forming a double line. Hold 2 inches of the double line in place and turn the free end back toward the tree or limb forming an elongated loop beneath the double line.
Step 2
Continue tying the knot by wrapping the free end of the line around the main line and through the elongated loop four times. Moisten the knot and pull it down tight. Use a standard fishing knot so that the test will prove to be more accurate.
Step 3
Form a simple loop in the opposite end of the line. Tie the loop by doubling the line 6 to 8 inches from the end to form a working loop. Hold the doubled line and turn the working loop down to form a second loop. Bring the working loop around the doubled line two to three times and then back through the second loop and pull tight.
Step 4
Attach the hook of a digital fish scale to the loop formed in the end of the line. Pull the line gently to take up the slack. Do not jerk or yank on the line during the test.
Step 5
Apply gradual tension to the line by holding the scale and stepping backwards. Watch the digital readout of the scale and continue to increase the tension on the line. Record the pounds indicated on the scale when the line eventually breaks. Repeat the test three times to obtain an average of the pound test strength of the line you are testing.

Offline Fish_tracker

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Lake Scugog, Ontario
« Reply #50 on: Dec 18, 2012, 08:26 PM »
alright leader makers. I just got my new cup to cup crimp tool, crimps and my 80 lb seaguar leader material. I am doing the crimps per everyones suggestions and all my research. Burn crimp end so it mushrooms a bit, then do the proper crimp, leaving a 1/16th on each end to flare up away from leader. everything seems to be going good. but when testing how much they can handle, they usually fail at 45-50lbs. maybe it is the way I am testing though. What i did was made up 3 leaders, and put one loop end on my digital game scale that goes to 330lbs. then the other loop end I put a screwdriver through to get some leverage and pull down steadily, not jerking. always breaks around 50lbs. the last one i just broke, the leader material itslef was fresh, no kinks, dings, etc right off the spool and where it broke the leader material broke and frayed like. Am i testing these too hard or what?

thanks

Tie a palomar knot and then test see who wins ....

Offline Fish_tracker

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Lake Scugog, Ontario
« Reply #51 on: Dec 18, 2012, 08:28 PM »
Bennett: do you mean for hard or soft water? I would fish for musky the same as pike. 50 lb fluorocarbon trebles. ( for ice)

Offline blackmer826

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #52 on: Dec 18, 2012, 09:13 PM »
I tried palomars, double surgeons knots and crimps and everything is breaking way below strength. it has got to be from the way I am testing.

I thought I would be able to test each one then put them in my tackled box for later use when I need them or want to switch them up because of blades/beads but I am afraid even when I get them to test to my satisfaction that they will be damaged from testing and loose strength.

Offline deadbait dave

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #53 on: Dec 19, 2012, 07:16 AM »
I tried palomars, double surgeons knots and crimps and everything is breaking way below strength. it has got to be from the way I am testing.

I thought I would be able to test each one then put them in my tackled box for later use when I need them or want to switch them up because of blades/beads but I am afraid even when I get them to test to my satisfaction that they will be damaged from testing and loose strength.

your making it much harder than it really is! i haven't tested a leader in years, just make them and go fishing!

Offline blackmer826

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #54 on: Dec 19, 2012, 07:47 AM »
ya but everyone says to test them first. I dont want a failure on a 25lb pike :o

Offline Fish_tracker

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Lake Scugog, Ontario
« Reply #55 on: Dec 19, 2012, 11:40 AM »
Use knots. 

Offline blackmer826

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #56 on: Dec 19, 2012, 03:02 PM »
does anyone else have 80 lb Seaguar Fluoro Premier leader material?

With knots or crimps the leader material itself is breaking, not my knot or crimps....therefore I am trying to figure out if my strength testing is accurate.

Offline Fish_tracker

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Lake Scugog, Ontario
« Reply #57 on: Dec 19, 2012, 03:36 PM »
very weird. maybe you got a bad role. ? My 60lb stuff is strong as hell, but I have never tried to test it.

Offline blackmer826

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #58 on: Dec 19, 2012, 07:26 PM »
it is stretching too so I think that when I pull it stretches so becomes less diameter and easier to break. idk.

Offline william bennett

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • " FLAGS UP>>GET IT"
« Reply #59 on: Dec 19, 2012, 07:32 PM »
Bennett: do you mean for hard or soft water? I would fish for musky the same as pike. 50 lb fluorocarbon trebles. ( for ice)

through the ice.   i am a all season musky angler here in indiana .  but i really havent  done the  ice  deal. but this year i am wanting to get one through the ice... thanks  for all this great info...bill
William Bennett

Everybody needs some form of release.......... I fish
(Grumpy Old Men)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.