Author Topic: Making your own leaders  (Read 19269 times)

Offline blackmer826

• Team IceShanty Addict
Making your own leaders
« on: Feb 24, 2012, 08:41 PM »
Does anyone make their own leaders? Do you tie your fluorocarbon or crimp it? Is it way better to crimp or is it ok to tie on swivels/snaps? what types of knots do you use to tie fluorocarbon to a swivel and snap? just want everyones opinion, youtube has told me afew diff knots to use ;)

Offline thefshdentist

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Making your own leaders
« Reply #1 on: Feb 25, 2012, 08:03 AM »
i just use a barrel swivel. leave plenty of leader and u wont have a problem

Offline ZTrial14

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "Catch and Release or Ketchup and Grease"
« Reply #2 on: Feb 25, 2012, 11:45 AM »
barrel swivel two peices of line with 2 hooks you will never lose one lol ;D

Offline blackmer826

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Feb 25, 2012, 07:42 PM »
I understand that, but I need to know if tieing your leaders is okay compared to crimping them. Is it a big difference in strength/dependability?  Thanks

Offline Master Angler

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • 10" Hole = Less tales of the big one that got away
« Reply #4 on: Feb 25, 2012, 08:33 PM »
I tie my own flouro leaders, 20, 40, and 100 lb are what I've used, I recommend at least 40 for serious pike fishing though.   I trust my knot more than a crimp, just a personal thing likely, it also makes the crimps one less thing I need to have.  When using the heavy flouro for pike the breaking strength isn't really an issue anyways as you are way over in lb test than you need for break strength, its the diameter/hardness you need to stand up to abrasion.  I use a uni knot, its by far the best i've used and i've tried all the popular ones (trilene, improved clinch, palomar) and a few others I've researched but don't know the names off hand.  Even with 100 lb test a Uni knot is easy to tie, and makes a small neat looking knot, that you can cinch down tight very easily.

Offline blackmer826

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Feb 26, 2012, 06:35 PM »
thanks alot, that was what I wanted to hear. I will be making my own stuff from now on as i think it will be better quality, atleast in my mind ;D, and it will hopefully save me money.

Offline blackmer826

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Feb 28, 2012, 08:01 PM »
are crimps stronger though or not. alot of my problems this yr has been the crimps undoing and being just left with a swivel on my line. that is getting real old so I want to thing tying them will be better then crimping but idk.

Offline thefshdentist

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Feb 28, 2012, 08:36 PM »
are crimps stronger though or not. alot of my problems this yr has been the crimps undoing and being just left with a swivel on my line. that is getting real old so I want to thing tying them will be better then crimping but idk.
i never even thought 'crimping' my line as a option. i tie my own and have never had a problem.

Offline blackmer826

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Feb 29, 2012, 07:44 PM »
I know many tie their own but just feeling out what is best, to tie swivels or crimp them on....
thanks for the advice

Offline shiveringjoe

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Feb 29, 2012, 08:06 PM »

I know many tie their own but just feeling out what is best, to tie swivels or crimp them on....
thanks for the advice
I had that problem last year with my first crimped leaders (80lb fluoro) and I saw somewhere on iceshanty that you can't just crimp them flat, you have to actually use the cutters on your pliers to cut little grooves in the crimp.  I first use pliers to flatten out the crimp and then I use the cutters to almost cut through the crimp in several places.  I have had no problems since I started doing that.

Offline thefshdentist

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Mar 01, 2012, 09:19 AM »
thanks for the advice

barrel swivels and tie your own. just my opinion.

Offline blackmer826

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Mar 02, 2012, 08:16 PM »
alright cool. I will probably tie up a few for summer fishing and see how they work out for me. uni knot the best one to use.

Offline gooseblaster49707

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Mar 08, 2012, 03:31 PM »
i make all my own leaders until i get into the 50# test class and up, i have them made for me by a musky fisherman and pretty good email buddy in WI.
i've been using a palomar knot with lots of spit and pulling the tag end slowly.   never had a knot break.  i use the palomar on mono, fluorocarbon and the superbraids.    if you are ''worried'' about a knot slipping, add a drop of superglue after your spit has dried.     
the man who makes my heavy leaders sells on ebay as ''charlier''.   i've never had one of his leaders break.  he will make you any leader, any length, any components that you request.  single strand wire, cajun redline, fluorocarbon, lengths from 8'' to i know over 6' because he has made them for me.   not the cheapest but, IMO, the best.   you can can use my screen ID - gooseblaster49707 if you want.  Charlie is one of the goodguys on ebay.  i hope i haven't stepped over the line by refering him.

Offline blackmer826

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Dec 09, 2012, 08:46 PM »
has anyone used seaguar blue label fluorocarbon leader material? or the seaguar premier fluoro leader material? just wondering if its good stuff... trying to get some reviews.
Thanks

Offline pikeaddict

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Dec 10, 2012, 06:55 AM »
Seaguar Blue Label is all I use.  I am going to pick up a couple spools of Premier this year and give it a try.  It is supposed to be better than Blue Label all around, except it has a little more stretch.

Offline thefshdentist

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Dec 10, 2012, 08:25 AM »
i use 60 pound seaguar fluro and love it .

Offline blackmer826

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Dec 10, 2012, 11:51 AM »
thanks guys. probly going to order either 50 or 60lb spool so i can tie up my own leaders. what is the best way to get beads to stay in a spot? tie a knot? I want to put some beads and a blade on a couple to try out but am curious what everyone uses to keep the beads from sliding down to the treble.
Thanks!!!!

Offline deadbait dave

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ><(((((((((((((((((((((o>
« Reply #17 on: Dec 10, 2012, 12:52 PM »
i've crimped my floro for a long time, way before most ever thought of useing it for northerns and if you use the right crimp and the right tool knots are obsolete. from 27lb pike to 800lb marlin i never had a crimp go bad that i did myself.

since everyones useing floro for pike now i'll let you in on a secret, knots with floro fail more often then properly crimped, that's just fact! it's hard and doesn't perform as well as mono when put to it's limit when knotted.

dbd :tipup:
trout make big pike fat and happy!

Offline blackmer826

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Dec 10, 2012, 02:38 PM »
ok. so what is the proper crimp size and technique?The fluoro i am getting is the seaguar fluoro premier 50 lb which has a .024 diameter.  I am not disregarding your advice, I appreciate the advice, but am skepticle on crimps as I had 4 crimps fail me last yr and my buddy lost a 15lb or bigger pike because of the crimp, not our knots.

Offline blackmer826

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Dec 10, 2012, 03:09 PM »
or i might get the seaguar blue label 60 lb fluoro that has a diameter of .029.

I have no experience with crimping so any advice and techniques would be great from those who have had the success with crimps

Offline deadbait dave

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Dec 10, 2012, 03:11 PM »
ok. so what is the proper crimp size and technique?The fluoro i am getting is the seaguar fluoro premier 50 lb which has a .024 diameter.  I am not disregarding your advice, I appreciate the advice, but am skepticle on crimps as I had 4 crimps fail me last yr and my buddy lost a 15lb or bigger pike because of the crimp, not our knots.

here ya go: http://www.meltontackle.com/products/jinkai-crimps.html
                  http://www.meltontackle.com/products/heavy-duty-crimp-tool-cn-10.html        these will work fine.
                  http://www.meltontackle.com/products/jinkai-hand-crimper.html                  i use these.
i use 80lb and 100lb and find no difference in # of bites over lighter floro, but if you want to fight 20lb fish on 50lb floro, have at it. if it crosses the right tooth at the right angle with the right force, yes 80 has failed once for me.

Offline deadbait dave

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Dec 10, 2012, 03:17 PM »
or i might get the seaguar blue label 60 lb fluoro that has a diameter of .029.

I have no experience with crimping so any advice and techniques would be great from those who have had the success with crimps

nothing beats exsperience, so get the right crimpers and test a few, i use a pneumatic one i built and the pressure builds at a steady rate. when the line breaks you have perfect crimps, if your crimp fails your doing something wrong!

Offline blackmer826

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Dec 10, 2012, 08:14 PM »
Going to order some 60lb premier Seaguar leader material. time to experiment.

Offline blackmer826

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #23 on: Dec 10, 2012, 09:38 PM »
For those who tie....what knots do you use to tie on the barrel swivel and your trebles?

Offline pikeaddict

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #24 on: Dec 11, 2012, 08:11 AM »
Palomar Knots

Offline blackmer826

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Dec 11, 2012, 12:04 PM »
that is my go to knot for everything, but wanted to hear from others who make their own leaders. I am going to crimp some also but might try and see how it is tying my own also.

what does everyone use to keep beads and blades above hook? how far above the hook do you put your beads and blades? or do you let them slide on the leader with nothing stopping them?

Offline deadbait dave

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Dec 11, 2012, 02:17 PM »
beads and blades...don't need them ;)

Offline blackmer826

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #27 on: Dec 11, 2012, 03:32 PM »
i want to try a couple on 2 of my leaders to see the results. Alot of pple talk about catching more fish because of the color and flashiness of them.

I want to submit my order but do not want to get the wrong size crimps. I am wondering how much bigger the crimps should be compared to the diameter of fluoro. For example, some crimps say a max leader diameter of 1.0mm, the 80lb leader material has a .780 so that would give me room to run the leader material through adn crimp down, but is that too much room? I have never done this so sry for the questions....

Offline deadbait dave

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Dec 11, 2012, 03:48 PM »
i use 80lb and 100lb with size J crimps, i like my line size on the upper end value of the crimps verses being at the bottom. if your getting 60lb i would use 50lb crimps and adjust my crimper to not over crimp the slightly larger dia. of the 60lb.  you mayl not be able to catch mulltiple big pike on 60lb and have to swap out leaders more and you could end up with a couple of those "i lost the biggest pike of my life at the hole" stories.

dbd :tipup:

Offline blackmer826

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #29 on: Dec 11, 2012, 04:05 PM »
I ordered Seaguar Premier 80lb and crimps so hopefully in a week or two I will have my stuff to get started. experimentation time.
 I shouldn't have to swap out that often with 80lb should I? I have never swapped before unless the leader got really f'ed up.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.