Author Topic: Hot Dogs for Pike?  (Read 29610 times)

Offline bluegill hunter

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Hot Dogs for Pike?
« Reply #30 on: Feb 16, 2005, 08:27 PM »
Actually I have used hot dogs and I know a lot of people who do.  They work great.  The first time I used a hot dog, I was fishing for catfish.  Not 10 minutes after being in the water, my pole went.  When I was reeling it up, a big ole northern bit and then it broke my line.  I have used it since then and caught many northerns.  I am gonna try it again tomorrow and will give results.  Thanks

Offline hookedonice

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • is that the union hall
« Reply #31 on: Feb 17, 2005, 07:14 AM »
the firetiger poodle, that was funny :roflmao:

Offline vancouvercanuck

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #32 on: Feb 17, 2005, 12:50 PM »
I have the In-Fisherman book on Pike fishing, and in the book talking about bait, some people will use meat up to one pound on a hook to catch monster Pike.

Offline MikePike

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I caught you a delicious pike
« Reply #33 on: Feb 17, 2005, 07:21 PM »
i think if pike will bite on camera transducers, hey will bite on a hotdog! :D

Do the leaves of trees stay greener, in the autumn, does the colour of the sun, turn crimson white? Does a shadow come between us, in the winter?

Offline TroutFishingBear

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • almost 22" cuttbow, took 6 minutes to land
« Reply #34 on: Feb 18, 2005, 09:09 PM »
I feel sorry for any pike that has taste bad enough to eat a hotdog! Transducers I can understand...but hotdogs...ugghh ;D
if anybody from michigan will help me out with the lakes and stuff up here I'd really appreciate it since I'm new to the area.

cracked_ice

« Reply #35 on: Feb 19, 2005, 06:57 PM »
In all honesty, I think I would rather eat the suckers and feed the pike hot dogs, lol.  But l'il smokies...now thats a different story.

Maybe if you put a nice beer batter on the suckers....for the pike, not for me:)

Offline AirManCam

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • All hail to the King!!
« Reply #36 on: Feb 20, 2005, 09:29 PM »
Actually I have used hot dogs and I know a lot of people who do.  They work great.  The first time I used a hot dog, I was fishing for catfish.  Not 10 minutes after being in the water, my pole went.  When I was reeling it up, a big ole northern bit and then it broke my line.  I have used it since then and caught many northerns.  I am gonna try it again tomorrow and will give results.  Thanks
How big of a chunk of dog do you use? Chicken or beef :P I'll give it a whirl, shoot I dont catch many on the suckers were using now, so why not a new bait!
15lb mono pike fisherman...WHATS UP!

Offline 1TIGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • SAFE ICE TO ALL !
« Reply #37 on: Feb 21, 2005, 07:12 PM »
I have used hot dogs in the summer for pike and big chanel cats but never through the ice  !
It works in the summer I dont see why it wouldnt through the ice .
I was told about it by an old timer . I seen him stick a dog on and thought he might have been out of bait so I offerd  some of mine and he laughed at me and said hots work better than chum or live baits .
He cought a couple before I left so I tried it the next time out and sure as heck it worked !

Offline R.J.

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • It must be that time again!
« Reply #38 on: Feb 22, 2005, 12:58 PM »
OK guys, I thought this was all a big joke, but I went out this weekend and tried it.  I swear on my mothers grave this is all true.  We used half a hot dog on a treble hook with tip ups, and caught 12 pike in two days.  Five were between 31-35", the largest being over 16 lbs (these boys were FAT).  I have never experienced anything like it!  I will ALWAYS bring hot dogs with my tip ups from now on, and will try it on open water, too.  Give it a try!!

Offline TroutFishingBear

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #39 on: Feb 22, 2005, 01:42 PM »
R.J., where were you fishing? Surely not colorado?
if anybody from michigan will help me out with the lakes and stuff up here I'd really appreciate it since I'm new to the area.

Offline R.J.

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #40 on: Feb 23, 2005, 12:14 PM »
I was on a tiny sandhill lake in the Middle of Nowhere, Neb.

Offline jimfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Set The HOOK!!
« Reply #41 on: Feb 24, 2005, 04:12 PM »
I told my wife to pick me up a half dozen Italian Sausages for bait.

Offline R.J.

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #42 on: Feb 25, 2005, 11:02 AM »
I told my wife to pick me up a half dozen Italian Sausages for bait.

After see how great the hot dogs worked for Northerns, I can't see why Italian Sausages wouldn't be just as great!  I am convinced that it is the SMELL :wacko:!

Offline Water Wolf

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice anglers walk on water.
« Reply #43 on: Feb 28, 2005, 01:51 PM »
Hi R.J.
 How did you rig the hot dog? Did you center punch it with a treble hook or use it on  a quick strike rig or another way? I have never tried this bait but don't see why they should not work, pike are very opportunistic. I bet those foot long hot dogs would work well on monster pike. I know some scents out on the market are garlic flavor, so garlic sausage would be worth a try to.  :tipup:

Water Wolf

Offline R.J.

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #44 on: Feb 28, 2005, 04:24 PM »
Hi R.J.
 How did you rig the hot dog? Did you center punch it with a treble hook or use it on  a quick strike rig or another way? I have never tried this bait but don't see why they should not work, pike are very opportunistic. I bet those foot long hot dogs would work well on monster pike. I know some scents out on the market are garlic flavor, so garlic sausage would be worth a try to.  :tipup:

Water Wolf

We center punched 'em with a treble, only because I forgot my quick-sets.  We did lose quite a few.  If we wouldv'e hooked all flags, we would caught three dozen.  Quick sets make a WORLD of difference!

I also think next time I will bring permanent red and black magic markers to put eyes and maybe streaks on the hot dogs.  I know this all sounds crazy, but hey!  It works!!

RJ

Offline Robb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Secret Spot
« Reply #45 on: Mar 01, 2005, 08:37 AM »
Hey RJ how far down do you put the dogs? On the bottom or just off it?
Thanks, Robb :tipup:

Offline R.J.

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #46 on: Mar 01, 2005, 09:07 AM »
Hey RJ how far down do you put the dogs? On the bottom or just off it?
Thanks, Robb :tipup:

Where I ice fish for pike I am usually in shallow water--anywhere from 2-10'.  I find that the bait needs to only be a couple of feet under the ice--the pike will find it.  They will pick stuff up off the bottom, too, as they are pigs and have no problem eating off the floor!  Earlier this season we were perch fishing off the bottom in about 30-40' and caught a couple of pike.  They have no problem going to wherever the snack bar happens to be set up! :sick: 8)

Offline Robb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Secret Spot
« Reply #47 on: Mar 01, 2005, 09:23 AM »
Thanks! I'll give the hotdog a try this weekend.
Robb :tipup:

Offline TroutFishingBear

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #48 on: Mar 02, 2005, 10:03 PM »
RJ, we'll make it a point to ice crawford together next season. I have that lake pegged, and who knows, a hotdog might trick the elusive colorado northern pike ;D

Offline bigfish57

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • love them square tails!!!!
« Reply #49 on: Mar 03, 2005, 03:53 PM »
I want to see pictures or video here guys, I call B.S.  ;D
Anthony

Offline TroutFishingBear

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #50 on: Mar 03, 2005, 09:46 PM »
Hotdogs sounds strange, but to me, an aggressive pike that hits a camera transducer sounds bs too. Somebody have a video of a pike hitting a camera transducer?

Offline wormwigglr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #51 on: Mar 03, 2005, 10:46 PM »
bs for sure. they aren't stupid!

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
« Reply #52 on: Mar 04, 2005, 06:52 AM »
an aggressive pike that hits a camera transducer sounds bs too. Somebody have a video of a pike hitting a camera transducer?

they have talked about it in in-fisherman in the past, i have never had the experience of it first hand, but knowing pike, i really wouldnt doubt it.  besides, haven't you guys ever seen pike spearing decoys?? they look just like the new cameras!

yetinate88

« Reply #53 on: Mar 05, 2005, 09:29 PM »
A friend of mine was halibut fishing in Prince William Sound in the AK. Bait began to run low after a HEAVY day and all but 2 had their limit of 2 fish, but my buddy still had fight in him and wanted to fish more (and had paid about 200$ to do so). The Cap. reserved the remaining bait for the customers yet to limit, and rigged up jigs for those who wished to fish more. Dan, on a dare, wrapped a weenie on a circle hook and proceded to catch a 20# "chicken". I guess a bottom feeder cant tell the difference.

Offline R.J.

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #54 on: Mar 09, 2005, 03:21 PM »
RJ, we'll make it a point to ice crawford together next season. I have that lake pegged, and who knows, a hotdog might trick the elusive colorado northern pike ;D

I GUARANTEE I'll be there, TFB!

Offline R.J.

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #55 on: Mar 09, 2005, 03:23 PM »

I have pictures of the pike we caught, but no verifiable "proof" that they were caught on hot dogs.  For that, you will have to settle for my word, or better yet, find out for yourself.  It works, and it is NOT B.S.

Offline AirManCam

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • All hail to the King!!
« Reply #56 on: Mar 09, 2005, 08:04 PM »
I wouldn't doubt it. I have caught pike on just about anything you can imagine. I mean, when we used to go catfishing, we used hotdogs, and nailed the big c-cats. So I don't see why not pike.
15lb mono pike fisherman...WHATS UP!

Offline AD

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ice addict
« Reply #57 on: Mar 10, 2005, 10:10 PM »
I'm really looking to get a keeper through the ice this weekend, gonna spend a full day, maybe even two trying to ice a pike, we will have hot-dogs for lunch, maybe Ill drop one down the hole on a tip-up, if its a bunch of bull then oh well its just 1 tip-up, if its the truth well then hey maybe Ill actually get a decent one.
It doesn't matter if you didn't catch anything as long as you had fun.

Offline Baiter

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Get jiggy with it!
« Reply #58 on: Dec 04, 2005, 07:16 PM »
Me and some buds went out yesterday, and I remembered reading this thing about hot dogs for pike.  We had a leftover hotdog, and it was already blackened from the propane grill.  We put it on a tip-up, and no joke, in about 20 minutes we had a flag. Was a 33inch pike caught on a hotdog.
Fishing is not about life or death, it is much more important than that! And all I have to say is FISH ON baby.

Offline Reel Wet Ride

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ft. Myers, Florida!!! WHAT?
« Reply #59 on: Dec 07, 2005, 09:56 AM »
How clear is the water in the lakes you guys are fishing with these hot dogs? Why doesn't someone try bacon? I've caught pretty much every fish that swims on bacon during open water. Perch, gills, tons of bass, catfish, and even a pike. But I think we better be careful feeding these fish all this people food. Pretty soon they won't even touch a sucker minnow. Ever try feeding your dog dry food after feeding him steak for a week?
Falling through the ice means driving home naked!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.