The Ice Fishing MA is board

Author Topic: Wrap Up for Christmas Vacation  (Read 688 times)

Offline bogtrotter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Wrap Up for Christmas Vacation
« on: Jan 02, 2023, 04:20 PM »
Today was the last day of both my and my younger son's Christmas vacation, so we decided to make the most of it,

We drove to Cheshire (2nd) Lake and fished there from a little after 10 AM to about 4 PM.

It was mostly cloudy in the morning and partly sunny in the afternoon, with temps in the low 40's.

There was 5 to 6 inches of surprisingly good quality ice, and LOTS of fishermen out on 2nd Lake.

An EPO who looked like he just stepped out of a recruiting poster (chiseled jaw, etc.) came out at one point to check everyone's licenses. 

We chatted with him a bit and I learned the northern Berkshire detachment (5 officers) stretches all the way over to Orange in Franklin County.

My son and I did pretty well - - with the vast majority of our action on the jig. 

We caught one bass apiece (on tip ups), a few stunted pickerel (mine on a dead stick), a few so-so perch (one on a tip up and the rest jigging) and a lot of sunfish (some suprisingly large) (all while jigging).

My son's bass was slightly larger (at 13"),  but I partly made up for it by I catching more sunfish.  LOL.

Over the past 12 days, I've gone ice fishing 9 of them (most but not all of them with my son), fished 7 local ponds, and caught 6 different species - - so, all in all, a quite satisfactory vacation.

Offline Mogli21

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Wrap Up for Christmas Vacation
« Reply #1 on: Jan 02, 2023, 04:54 PM »
Got bait in Cheshire at 10, and thought of going onto Cheshire at the second lake but went to Windsor pond(Plainfield).  Just missed crossing paths.  Glad it was a good day out for you.

Offline Steve H.

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Jan 02, 2023, 05:07 PM »
Over the past 12 days, I've gone ice fishing 9 of them (most but not all of them with my son), fished 7 local ponds, and caught 6 different species - - so, all in all, a quite satisfactory vacation.

Solid effort! Thanks for posting your reports.

Offline Mikeski72

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 03, 2023, 08:45 AM »
Way to make the rounds! Great job putting in the time and effort! Good luck the rest of the season!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.