The Ice Fishing MA is board

Author Topic: VT Adventure  (Read 2697 times)

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
VT Adventure
« on: Jan 28, 2017, 04:41 PM »
As many know, today was the free fishing day up in VT.

Allan and I decided to try for Salmon and Smelt on a body of water neither of us had ever fished. There are also no maps of this place so it was pretty much going off of the landscape.

We hit the road at 5am,stopped for bait, and were at the lake by 6:30. As for the spot, well...Lets just say its not your typical walk in from the parking lot..Using a couple ropes we were able to get our sleds down the hill/cliff face to get to our spot.

With the wind predicted to be 15mph with gusts over 30 and snow for most of the day, we setup in an area that would block us from the wind. Having our flip overs we werent to concerned if we had to move.

The plan was to target Salmon,Lakers, and Smelt. Start out by jigging till we locate fish and then drop tilts.

Allan started things off with a nice Smelt bite right off the bat. I was looking for salmon and lakers. After a few moves and about 1/4mile from where we dropped in, i found some salmon that wanted to play. Unfortunately this meant wind and snow straight to the face.. But it was worth it.

I was able to jig up a salmon on the 23rd hole. I was marking plenty of bait as well, so i dropped a tilt and called Allan over. Within minutes I had another flag up and my second Salmon of the day. We kept moving and jigging and dropping tilts in the holes we were seeing fish while jigging.  While setting up my 3rd tilt I had a flag that resulted in my 3rd salmon of the day. Headed back to finish putting in my third tilt that i had just dropped the shiner in and about 5 ft of line. The tilt wasnt even setup, just sitting on the ice. I noticed the spool slowly turning, and ran over. Sure enough there was another salmon on the line but managed to pop off, bummer.

All the while Allan is quietly hammering the smelt setup within a few yards of me.

On the way back to where we got on we decided to jig for a few mins before leaving. Within minutes I managed to jig up my 4th Salmon of the day.

The jig stick was the weapon of choice again for us today, not only in locating fish, but in catching them as well. At the end of the day I had 4 salmon iced with a couple others dropped. Allan had about a dozen smelt in the bucket as well.

Good times as usual, this will be a tough one to beat next year.

Video here of some of the salmon
https://youtu.be/jIyZjaHKR9A

Official Member of The G.I.T.s, Gods In Training 1/2014
The fishing was good; it was the catching that was bad.

Offline THE JIGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Member of the GODS (Grumpy Old DudeS)
Re: VT Adventure
« Reply #1 on: Jan 28, 2017, 04:46 PM »
Good day :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
MA

Offline bogtrotter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 28, 2017, 05:10 PM »
Good report. Sounds like a great day out, although you could stand to smile more in your photos. ;D

Offline LowranceStu

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 28, 2017, 05:13 PM »
Great day! and yea I agree...you caught a salmon so smile ;)

Offline manitron

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Jan 28, 2017, 05:34 PM »
Good job Will and Allan. I am not sure where you accessed but my preferred access was a steep sheet of ice @ 7. Went back toward town and accessed by the shanty town.We were going to run and gun but that wind was brutal so we set up for smelting and dropped tilts as we caught the bait. I jigged up a dozen smelt over the next few hours and we sat waiting for flags. We got one flag  and whatever it was,it was small and it dropped the bait after a short run.
Being on ice is nice but the tug is the drug.

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #5 on: Jan 28, 2017, 06:48 PM »
Good job Will and Allan. I am not sure where you accessed but my preferred access was a steep sheet of ice @ 7. Went back toward town and accessed by the shanty town.We were going to run and gun but that wind was brutal so we set up for smelting and dropped tilts as we caught the bait. I jigged up a dozen smelt over the next few hours and we sat waiting for flags. We got one flag  and whatever it was,it was small and it dropped the bait after a short run.

Yah I'm not sure how we would have done if we weren't moving around. We only got two on tip ups, but that's only cause we chased the fish down jigging and setup tilts in those areas.

Offline wbfishboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 28, 2017, 07:07 PM »
awesome day guys!
Someone told me ice fishing was too good to be true. I said, what's the catch?

Offline skit781

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 28, 2017, 07:48 PM »
Nice!! I was in Vermont also looking for some lake trout and salmon. No luck, Ended up with 2 brooks and bunch of perches and some smelt.

Offline THE JIGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Member of the GODS (Grumpy Old DudeS)
« Reply #8 on: Jan 28, 2017, 07:50 PM »
Nice day and photos
MA

Offline manitron

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Jan 28, 2017, 11:05 PM »
Nice work Skit! Looks like you had a great day.
Being on ice is nice but the tug is the drug.

Offline elevatorman

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Cynical people make bad friends.
« Reply #10 on: Jan 29, 2017, 05:19 AM »
Nice job thanks for sharing.
A Country boy can Survive.

Offline F.R.E.D.

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Jan 29, 2017, 07:16 AM »
Great reports guys, I'm glad to hear you did well. I will have to get up there for some of those smelt, they look delicious! Congrats on getting out and trying a new place. :tipup:

Offline IceDog88

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Jan 29, 2017, 07:32 AM »
All nice looking fish, and looked cold, but worth it in the end. Great job.

Offline Jschumacher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Nothing beats walking on water. Life Member NAFC
« Reply #13 on: Jan 29, 2017, 11:01 AM »
Nice job getting it done. Some good eats there.
Hard water Tight lines Flags up. Doesn't get any better than that

Member of the G.O.D.S

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #14 on: Jan 29, 2017, 11:15 AM »
Nice work guys!

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
« Reply #15 on: Jan 29, 2017, 12:09 PM »
A great, fun trip, to a new area! Most of the time we were there we did not see another angler and we could see miles of water... The ice was about 8 inches and even near where a little water was flowing in, it was safe (the spud bar is my friend)... I thought it was interesting with how many smelt there were (and they were all over the place), the bait shop owner said most of the salmon are short and the ones Will got, did not look all that fat. At least compared to the ones, I have gotten on Winnie threw the ice (and sent right back down). wonder what that is all about?

I think Maine is the next free day of fishing for us.... I wonder where to fish?

Offline 200fisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Jan 29, 2017, 02:06 PM »

Great job! I'm jealous...
"Indecision may or may not be my problem"  -Jimmy Buffett

Offline bpfishhunt

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Jan 29, 2017, 03:09 PM »
once again, you guys nailed it! nicely done. sure are jigging machines... what jigs were you having luck with if you don't mind sharing?

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #18 on: Jan 29, 2017, 03:39 PM »
once again, you guys nailed it! nicely done. sure are jigging machines... what jigs were you having luck with if you don't mind sharing?

With all the smelt around I chose a jig that matched them. I did most of my damage using a Slender Spoon.

Offline rally

• Iceshanty Sponsor
  • Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Jan 29, 2017, 04:39 PM »
Nice going, Will, you and Alan I tip my hat to, I couldn't keep up with you guys. Always on the fish, no matter the type, the weather or what part of the world. Have to get you guys on the boat this summer. Put on a clinic for me! No ninga s--t though. Great going
Proudly A Member of G.O.D.S.   More Meds Please

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #20 on: Jan 29, 2017, 04:50 PM »
Nice going, Will, you and Alan I tip my hat to, I couldn't keep up with you guys. Always on the fish, no matter the type, the weather or what part of the world. Have to get you guys on the boat this summer. Put on a clinic for me! No ninga s--t though. Great going

Thx man, any time you want to get out, let me know.

Offline Thebasspro22

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Jan 29, 2017, 04:59 PM »
Great pics. Looks like next year I'll have to try the free fishing weekend in Vermont

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #22 on: Jan 29, 2017, 08:21 PM »
Great pics. Looks like next year I'll have to try the free fishing weekend in Vermont

Its usually a good time.We did well last year too.

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
« Reply #23 on: Jan 29, 2017, 10:41 PM »

What do you have for a boat and what type of fishing do you like to do?

Offline Frigid Finz

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish like it's your first cast !
« Reply #24 on: Jan 30, 2017, 04:30 AM »
Great job guys ! Fizhing via your posts and pics this weekend.

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #25 on: Jan 30, 2017, 06:05 AM »
Thanks guys
Headed to the Bartons Cove Gathering this weekend. Always a great time!!

Offline rally

• Iceshanty Sponsor
  • Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Jan 30, 2017, 09:19 AM »
What do you have for a boat and what type of fishing do you like to do?

Alan I only have a small boat, should fish three though. A 2009 21' cc Wellcraft,  with a 150 Yamaha. It's set up alittle. Fish for fish, try anything, not a big fan of rough water, legs and knees can't take it, plus I can pick my days. Try to avoid the week ends, some times Sat mornings early on the water at 5am off by latest12.

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
« Reply #27 on: Jan 30, 2017, 09:31 AM »
You can do most anything in that boat if you pick your days... But that is coming from someone that has been 44 miles off shore in a 17' Alumacraft (perfect day)... As to the 3 of us getting out, that is the time of year when I am guiding (most of my trips on the salt, I am hired to go out for the day on the client's boat to show them the where, when and how of the fish they what to catch), so "fun" trips are few.

Offline rally

• Iceshanty Sponsor
  • Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Jan 30, 2017, 10:00 AM »
You can do most anything in that boat if you pick your days... But that is coming from someone that has been 44 miles off shore in a 17' Alumacraft (perfect day)... As to the 3 of us getting out, that is the time of year when I am guiding (most of my trips on the salt, I am hired to go out for the day on the client's boat to show them the where, when and how of the fish they what to catch), so "fun" trips are few.

Oh well,  more room for Wil       That's a ways out, there's a lot that can go wrong. 

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
« Reply #29 on: Jan 30, 2017, 10:09 AM »
very nice action!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.