The Ice Fishing MA is board

Author Topic: !!! CAUTION !!! PLEASE READ!!!  (Read 1481 times)

Offline BASSQUATCH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gone Fishing 🎣
!!! CAUTION !!! PLEASE READ!!!
« on: Jan 14, 2015, 10:19 PM »
I just saw on the news that a young man fell through the ice in Hanover Mass, Forge pond. One would think with the incredible cold we've had, that most places would be safe. That could be a deadly assumption! Please know the ice you are venturing out on. It all VARIES! Chisels save lives! Take a chop as you walk!

Offline FishinPhil

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: !!! CAUTION !!! PLEASE READ!!!
« Reply #1 on: Jan 14, 2015, 10:24 PM »
I live close by. The pond is practically one big stream as you can see from your map. Some one goes through here almost every year. I agree know your surroundings for under ground streams and always bring the spud.

Offline GrizlyGarou

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 15, 2015, 06:15 AM »
Not to be heartless or anything, but I've never seen an ice skater cut a hole in the ice to check it, and I've never seen one with any rope or anything. They usually bee-line over to me when I'm spudding so they can ask me how thick the ice is. I always tell them it's not going to be the same thickness on the whole pond, and they usually just shrug and say it's holding them up so it must be safe and go skating around all willy-nilly.

Glad the guy survived, hopefully anybody that was with him will take a few extra precautions in the future.

"One hundred years from now it will not matter what my bank account was, the sort of house I lived in or the kind of car I drove, but the world may be different because I was important in the life of a child."  Anonymous

Offline rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 15, 2015, 06:21 AM »
was wondering if that place had moving water

Offline Mugz

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 15, 2015, 06:41 AM »
Fishing on my local pond during early ice/late ice, we always see kids/teens/adults down at the other end of the pond (where we know doesn't freeze as well) walking out on the ice thinking it's safe. Just because they see ice fisherman out there, they think the whole pond is safe. It's unfortunate and personally makes me feel guilty for giving them that sense of security.
"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer."
-Frank Zappa

Offline GrizlyGarou

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 15, 2015, 06:57 AM »
Fishing on my local pond during early ice/late ice, we always see kids/teens/adults down at the other end of the pond (where we know doesn't freeze as well) walking out on the ice thinking it's safe. Just because they see ice fisherman out there, they think the whole pond is safe. It's unfortunate and personally makes me feel guilty for giving them that sense of security.

There was a snowmobiler that followed the tracks from my flip over one year on 4 inches of ice. Pretty sure it went partway in, judging from the big hole with a tree sticking out of it a couple days later.

I wouldn't feel guilty, Mugz. They wouldn't cross the street 1/4 mile away from you without looking just because they saw you crossing. Whenever they ask menacing the ice, I give them a good idea of the dangerousness of ice and what to do if you do go in. A few have bought the spikes, and a couple others have started wearing life jackets.
"One hundred years from now it will not matter what my bank account was, the sort of house I lived in or the kind of car I drove, but the world may be different because I was important in the life of a child."  Anonymous

Offline CMSkunk

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 15, 2015, 10:58 AM »
Good to know, as a newbie I figured you can just drill a hole when first walking on the ice to test the ice thickness. Probably should invest in a spud bar and saftey spikes. :-\

Offline BASSQUATCH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gone Fishing 🎣
« Reply #7 on: Jan 15, 2015, 11:12 AM »
Good to know, as a newbie I figured you can just drill a hole when first walking on the ice to test the ice thickness. Probably should invest in a spud bar and saftey spikes. :-\
That could end up with you and your drill swimming. Chisel is the only tool you should never forget. Stay safe 👍

Offline bassaddict 21

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 15, 2015, 11:19 AM »
Not to be heartless or anything, but I've never seen an ice skater cut a hole in the ice to check it, and I've never seen one with any rope or anything. They usually bee-line over to me when I'm spudding so they can ask me how thick the ice is. I always tell them it's not going to be the same thickness on the whole pond, and they usually just shrug and say it's holding them up so it must be safe and go skating around all willy-nilly.

Glad the guy survived, hopefully anybody that was with him will take a few extra precautions in the future.

It blows my mind how people will just go out on the ice without any idea if it's even safe. Had a guy and his son come skating over to me from the opposite side of a 100 acre pond early in the season last year and ask me how thick the ice was. It was only 4'' where i was and i told them it could definitely vary. They just skated off like nothing and neither of them had spikes or anything in case they went through.

Offline Bollesy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 15, 2015, 01:59 PM »
Ponkapoag is famous for people that will walk half way across the pond to ask you how thick the ice is!! Unreal people have that much lack of common sense!!

Offline rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Jan 15, 2015, 08:02 PM »
no brains

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.