The Ice Fishing MA is board

Author Topic: "catch and release" pin program ?  (Read 3734 times)

Offline capt.shay

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pike and 'Eyes
Re: "catch and release" pin program ?
« Reply #30 on: Feb 10, 2014, 09:35 PM »
Careful Paul if you keep pulling Capts strings he may come out of his applicator.

It's one thing to be wrong, but do you really have to be such a child about it.  I fish with a seven year old that has more maturity than you do. 

"I will never stop targeting trophies, every skunk is one skunk closer to a giant "  RC

"We're going to sit around the shanty mama...."  Johnathan Edwards

"If you are going out there to figure it all out by yourself, well, ice has a
 learning curve second only to fire. I wish you the best of luck."    Looneyducer

Offline Danderson

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #31 on: Feb 10, 2014, 10:14 PM »

That's impossible.  Tafs ta said you can't do that, it is his business and it is in his best interest to know these things.  Therefore, you must be wrong.

Thanks Capt. I don't know what he's hitting but it must be the good stuff, cause the last time I checked (2 minutes ago) this is the official seal from October 2013 on my scale.

Offline tafts ta

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Professional Ice Guide, Tournament Angler, TV Host
« Reply #32 on: Feb 11, 2014, 03:15 AM »

Thanks Capt. I don't know what he's hitting but it must be the good stuff, cause the last time I checked (2 minutes ago) this is the official seal from October 2013 on my scale.

Thank you for the Post Danderson. That is the exact seal I am referring to. It comes from the city of North Hampton, not the IGFA.

However, I must say that I am not sure how the certification is still valid on a portable scale, Not arguing, just confused. If that is the case, I will have to look into getting one.
It has been my understanding with my guide service, My tackle shop, and even dating back to my tournament days, that a scale had to be certified to an address and could not be removed without the certification being invalidated. That made sense to me because any jostling around, dropping, or otherwise abuse could ruin the calibration. Not saying you don't take care of your scale, just saying that you can see how it could happen. I know lots of people, not customers, have come into my shop with fish that they thought were way bigger because they weighed them on a hand held in the field, but, the fish checked in less (sometimes more) on the certified scale.

Again, thanks for the post, and I will look into these.

Host of TV's Guiding Ice
Pro-Staff HT ENTERPRISES, Pro Staff POLAR FIRE, Pro Staff VEXILAR, Pro Staff OTTER OUTDOORS, Pro Staff PK LURES, Pro Staff DEEP FREEZE, Pro Staff Bunker Up Fishin
Pro Staff JAW JACKERS
New England's Only Authorized Representative for SnoBear Vehicles!

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #33 on: Feb 11, 2014, 05:11 AM »
It's one thing to be wrong, but do you really have to be such a child about it.  I fish with a seven year old that has more maturity than you do. 

I can see why you work for him.  Neither of you know how to speak to people.  Another fine representative of this "service".

Lighten up.  I understand how you may not see eye to eye with my humor but it was all in good fun, at least I thought it was.

Offline FishingNewEngland

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Fishing New England
« Reply #34 on: Feb 11, 2014, 08:02 AM »
Thank you for the Post Danderson. That is the exact seal I am referring to. It comes from the city of North Hampton, not the IGFA.

However, I must say that I am not sure how the certification is still valid on a portable scale, Not arguing, just confused. If that is the case, I will have to look into getting one.
It has been my understanding with my guide service, My tackle shop, and even dating back to my tournament days, that a scale had to be certified to an address and could not be removed without the certification being invalidated. That made sense to me because any jostling around, dropping, or otherwise abuse could ruin the calibration. Not saying you don't take care of your scale, just saying that you can see how it could happen. I know lots of people, not customers, have come into my shop with fish that they thought were way bigger because they weighed them on a hand held in the field, but, the fish checked in less (sometimes more) on the certified scale.

Again, thanks for the post, and I will look into these.

Good to see you take the high road. Unlike some, you have a vested interest in something like this. Unlike some, who question maturity and have none themselves, you step up. Nicely done Sir.

Offline JFeen82

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #35 on: Feb 11, 2014, 12:29 PM »
Paul, I think it's good what you're doing by releasing the fish that way, even though it is technically illegal. I highly doubt a warden would make a big deal about anyone doing it this way and more important laws are broken every day that no one follows, not even our President

Offline Goldpinhunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #36 on: Feb 12, 2014, 08:37 PM »
http://www.mass.gov/eea/agencies/dfg/dfw/hunting-fishing-wildlife-watching/fishing/fish-weigh-stations.html

If you live in a town with a population of less than 5000 you can get your scale certified apparently.

Offline Goldpinhunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #37 on: Feb 12, 2014, 08:40 PM »

That's impossible.  Tafs ta said you can't do that, it is his business and it is in his best interest to know these things.  Therefore, you must be wrong.  I see he hasn't responded so he is probably allowing you to think you are right rather than argue with you, because it's easier.  So your wrong, and  Bean is wrong and Mike is wrong and a half dozen other people I know with certified hand scales are wrong.  Taftas right because he is a guide and it is his business to know these things.

i would not call the kettle black my friend.  treat others how you would like to be treated. 

Offline capt.shay

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pike and 'Eyes
« Reply #38 on: Feb 13, 2014, 08:31 AM »
i would not call the kettle black my friend.  treat others how you would like to be treated.

I don't run a people business and respond snidely when someone tries to offer a helpful suggestion and I don't act like I infallibly know everything about the sport of fishing, particularly when I'm dead wrong.

I don't don't jump in to a middle of a conversation that I was not previously a part of and call another man a feminine hygiene product on a public forum and then defend myself saying it is "Humor"

When proven unequivocally wrong, I admit it and apologize, not make excuses why I should be right.

This thread went way wrong and I have tried not to respond to it further in order to let it die and go away but,  I cannot sit idly by while some one tries to tell me that some how I am in the wrong here because that is simply not true.  If I was a supporter of this person, I would let this thread die as it only shows this "service" in a very poor light.

"I will never stop targeting trophies, every skunk is one skunk closer to a giant "  RC

"We're going to sit around the shanty mama...."  Johnathan Edwards

"If you are going out there to figure it all out by yourself, well, ice has a
 learning curve second only to fire. I wish you the best of luck."    Looneyducer

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.