The Ice Fishing MA is board

Author Topic: "catch and release" pin program ?  (Read 3733 times)

Offline BIGBOB69

• Team IceShanty Regular
"catch and release" pin program ?
« on: Dec 22, 2013, 12:27 PM »
is there a way to get a pin for yer nice catch without having to kill it ? im confused how they can right catch and release in one statement and then mention the pin (kill) program and say you get a nice fish you must keep and kill for a button ? worse than that<the weights of qualifying fish make most breeder fish that we NEED to keep alive. i have always hated that program becuz of the killing of all of those quality fish. its 15 lbs. fer carp and that puts the fish at 15 yrs old !!! why kill such a magnificent fish just for a button ? it doesnt send the right message to the kids. or adults. just look at the qualifying weights and think of all the fish that have killed for this rediculous program. thanx fer listening.   good fishin ! be safe !!!!
may the good lord help me to see the day when i catch the one that got away

Offline ICEHOLE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • INSTAGRAM: MATTACHUSETTS
Re: "catch and release" pin program ?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 22, 2013, 12:35 PM »
Never got a state pin before and have caught plenty of 15+ carp thos year but have no interest in killing them ill keep a picture they can keep their pin! C&R is my choice

Offline lenz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • 'Ice Only' Fisherman
« Reply #2 on: Dec 22, 2013, 12:48 PM »
some people keep them alive in a live well when they bring them in. but transporting a live fish is illegal, i think.

i've caught many pin fish, weighed them, took a pic (when i had a camera) and let them go. i can care less about a stupid pin.

burp
Member of G.O.D.S

One pill makes you larger
And one pill makes you small
And the ones that mother gives you
Don't do anything at all

Offline MassPikeAngler

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Snag'em and drag'em
« Reply #3 on: Dec 22, 2013, 12:58 PM »
some people keep them alive in a live well when they bring them in. but transporting a live fish is illegal, i think.

i've caught many pin fish, weighed them, took a pic (when i had a camera) and let them go. i can care less about a stupid pin.

burp
   I think its only illegal if you plan on relocating the fish to another body of water or if crossing state lines.  I agree, they should do ways with the award program. The weight and a clear pic should be acceptable with witnessed. None the less it does promote unsustainable fishing

Offline bojango

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 22, 2013, 03:39 PM »
It is illegal to transport live fish for any reason. When I was a kid I got a few pins. I was able to keep the fish alive for the weigh in and release them, and nobody questioned it. Now I am happy with a picture and quick release. If you are still after the pins, you can get your own scale certified and do all of the paper work on your own I think.

Offline RickC

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Dec 22, 2013, 03:39 PM »
is there a way to get a pin for yer nice catch without having to kill it ? im confused how they can right catch and release in one statement and then mention the pin (kill) program and say you get a nice fish you must keep and kill for a button ? worse than that<the weights of qualifying fish make most breeder fish that we NEED to keep alive. i have always hated that program becuz of the killing of all of those quality fish. its 15 lbs. fer carp and that puts the fish at 15 yrs old !!! why kill such a magnificent fish just for a button ? it doesnt send the right message to the kids. or adults. just look at the qualifying weights and think of all the fish that have killed for this rediculous program. thanx fer listening.   good fishin ! be safe !!!!
It actually is very easy to do.
1.) Call your Town/City Weights and Measures Dept and set up an appointment to have your digital scale certified
2.) Go to http://www.mass.gov/eea/docs/dfg/dfw/recreation/licensing-fish/sportfish-affidavit.pdf and print some copies of this form
3.) Catch fish
4.) Weigh fish with certified scale
5.) Fill out forms above, have witness/witnesses sign forms
6.) Take pictures of your catch for backup, length/weight) if needed
Send in form to Mass Wildlife

Quote from: MassPikeAngler
I think its only illegal if you plan on relocating the fish to another body of water or if crossing state lines.  I agree, they should do ways with the award program. The weight and a clear pic should be acceptable with witnessed. None the less it does promote unsustainable fishing
You are wrong, IT IS ILLEGAL TO TRANSPORT ANY GAME FISH ALIVE. Although if you should run into an understanding EPO he "may" let it slide

Offline bighookz

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Survivalist
« Reply #6 on: Dec 23, 2013, 05:26 AM »
Thanks for th Good info RickC !       :)
       I have many many pins, mostly from years ago. Because of not wanting to kill the monsters I catch, Ive been releasing them all in the recent past years.  I have released far more huge pinfish then i have pins.  I would love to chase a gold pin, but would love it more to see it swim away. 
       I checked on the website and all looks good with the documenting as long as we have the right pics.   The only thing I dont understand is how to get a certified scale. Do you know if there are scales available for us fishermen the would be considered certified?

It is truely awesome to be able to document these fish and sustain the environment at the same time.  Afterall that is what Masswildlife stands for.
"Everyone should believe in something, I believe I'll go fishing."  -Thoreau

Offline Goldpinhunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 23, 2013, 09:43 AM »
last year's gold pin largemouth was a C&R.  i emailed the guy to let him know that what he did was 'technically' illegal and that he may not want to publicize it that much.  i don't think he appreciated my email.  basically it's illegal but i've never heard of anyone actually getting in trouble for C&R'ing a pin fish. 

Offline capt.shay

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pike and 'Eyes
« Reply #8 on: Dec 23, 2013, 10:30 AM »
Our local fish and game club purchased and had cerified a scale just so folks would have a place to weigh them in. This club is located right on the river so that makes it nice.  Also, if some one brings in a live fish to C&R, well, no one there is going to say any thing.

There are a couple of hand held scales that the state will certify.  A google search should turn them up.

"I will never stop targeting trophies, every skunk is one skunk closer to a giant "  RC

"We're going to sit around the shanty mama...."  Johnathan Edwards

"If you are going out there to figure it all out by yourself, well, ice has a
 learning curve second only to fire. I wish you the best of luck."    Looneyducer

Offline masspike

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Dec 23, 2013, 12:31 PM »
Nh has the program
a bad day of fishing....is better than a good day @ work

Offline minnow1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Dec 23, 2013, 04:55 PM »
Talked at length with two officials from MassWildlife last year after we caught a trophy fish.  Took pics and measurements and threw it back.  Both guys said the state is soon going to have a program in place whereby you can get all the info and send it in and not have to take the fish to a place that has a scale.  I believe he said they are trying to do it sometime in 2014 so be on the lookout for what they do. 

Offline V Menzone

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Dec 23, 2013, 07:09 PM »
In Ct you lay the fish next to a tape measure and send the pic to the state for the pin.  they don't go by weight

Offline FishingNewEngland

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Fishing New England
« Reply #12 on: Feb 10, 2014, 11:37 AM »
last years largemouth was a nice one.  Im all about perserving the LMB populations and hate to kill this particular species. Last year I caught a pretty good one so I decided to harvest it to try for a gold pin. Unfortunately it was less then  6 ounces shy the 2012 gold pin,   out of a tiny hole in Templeton , MA.  After the close call and despite being a beauty, I wished I had thrown it back and seriously lost a little sleep over it, although the mount is epic. I promised myself I wouldnt keep another no matter how big.  I hope this State Program goes through.....

Nice 5 lb. bass.  ::)

Offline Tuna Meltdown

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Feb 10, 2014, 11:54 AM »
Guess I should have weighed this one in.

Offline FishingNewEngland

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Fishing New England
« Reply #14 on: Feb 10, 2014, 11:55 AM »
That one was a true slob Dan!

Offline Tuna Meltdown

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Feb 10, 2014, 12:10 PM »
Thanks.  I would also like to see MA start a C&R "pin" fish program.  I'm not sure that you can get a personal scale certified and accepted by the state for the program.  In fact I just emailed the state last week and asked that very question because I want to participate in the program but I don't want to have to kill any fish for the weigh in process.  The answer I was directed to was this: Allowing anglers to weigh their catch on any certified scale at any location.  Several weigh stations have supported MassWildlife's Sportfish Awards Program for many years. Anglers may weigh their fish at any of these locations or at any other certified scale locations. Anglers who believe they have broken a state record must present their fish in its entirety (whole) to qualified fisheries personnel at MassWildlife Field Headquarters in West Boylston or at any of the five MassWildlife District offices . In order to qualify for a pin, fish that meet the minimum weight requirement must be weighed on a certified scale.
 A scale can be certified in one of two ways:

If the scale owner resides in a town with a total population over 5,000, individual(s) are assigned by the town to certify the scale. Contact your town office to determine whom these individual(s) are.

For towns with a total population under 5,000, the Massachusetts Division of Standards certifies scales. The Division of Standards can be reached at (617) 727-3480.

That sounds like I need to keep the fish and bring it to a certified scale at any weigh station location.  Since transporting live fish is illegal, I also assumed the fish would have to be dead.  Why can the IGFA certify a boga grip for IGFA record purposes but the state of MA can't.

Offline Tuna Meltdown

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Feb 10, 2014, 12:54 PM »
Yes a Boga Grip is a hand held spring scale that if certified by the IGFA can be used to document IGFA records.
http://www.bogagrip.com/certification.html

Offline tafts ta

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Professional Ice Guide, Tournament Angler, TV Host
« Reply #17 on: Feb 10, 2014, 01:46 PM »
When I head out on trips I keep a large towel like a bath towel and I use black bag-em cull bags. If I catch a big fish to weigh in but it will not get mounted, I wrap the fish in a wet towel and place it in the bag. The black bag keeps them calm and helps them stay fresh for release.
I have run into an epo several times while releasing the fish afterwards and have never once been questioned, ticketed, or in any way bothered about releasing the fish after weigh in.
Most states have a C&R program, MA will soon. But until then, this is what I do for every pin fish that does not eventually get mounted.

I personally only have one pin to my credit. It was a gold pin pickerel, that I kept to eat anyway.

After looking at my records, last year Charter The Berkshires sent in paperwork for 73 pins, most in the panfish and pickerel categories. Other than the Gold Pin Pike which was mounted by my customer, 25 fish that were bass, pickerel, pike were live released after weigh in, the remaining fish were bluegill which were filetted and eaten.
Host of TV's Guiding Ice
Pro-Staff HT ENTERPRISES, Pro Staff POLAR FIRE, Pro Staff VEXILAR, Pro Staff OTTER OUTDOORS, Pro Staff PK LURES, Pro Staff DEEP FREEZE, Pro Staff Bunker Up Fishin
Pro Staff JAW JACKERS
New England's Only Authorized Representative for SnoBear Vehicles!

Offline BoSox34

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Feb 10, 2014, 01:56 PM »
If you wrap a fish in the wet towel do you also fill the bag with water or does the wet towel itself keep them alive??

Offline capt.shay

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pike and 'Eyes
« Reply #19 on: Feb 10, 2014, 02:28 PM »
When I head out on trips I keep a large towel like a bath towel and I use black bag-em cull bags. If I catch a big fish to weigh in but it will not get mounted, I wrap the fish in a wet towel and place it in the bag. The black bag keeps them calm and helps them stay fresh for release.
I have run into an epo several times while releasing the fish afterwards and have never once been questioned, ticketed, or in any way bothered about releasing the fish after weigh in.
Most states have a C&R program, MA will soon. But until then, this is what I do for every pin fish that does not eventually get mounted.

I personally only have one pin to my credit. It was a gold pin pickerel, that I kept to eat anyway.

After looking at my records, last year Charter The Berkshires sent in paperwork for 73 pins, most in the panfish and pickerel categories. Other than the Gold Pin Pike which was mounted by my customer, 25 fish that were bass, pickerel, pike were live released after weigh in, the remaining fish were bluegill which were filetted and eaten.

You may not have been questioned, but what you are doing is certainly illegal.   Just because you know your local game warden doesn't make it legal and other people reading this should understand that so they don't get themselves in to a pickle.   I also have to wonder what an hour or two out of the water (even wrapped in a bag) is doing for a species such as trout or even bass.  It certainly can't be good for them particularly in sub-freezing temps.

It kind of interesting that you should respond to this question because I  PMed you just last week informing you that you can get a hand scale certified and do your weigh in right on the ice.  That is 73 fish that would not have had to be illegally trucked around out of water.  If getting your clients pins is that important (and I do think it is a cool thing to do) then you should make the small investment in a certifiable scale and the nominal fee for to get it certified.  Not only would it be better for the fishses, but it would also prevent you from breaking fish and game laws and possibly putting a fish in a stressful situation.  It would also save you a lot of work hauling fish around.

"I will never stop targeting trophies, every skunk is one skunk closer to a giant "  RC

learning curve second only to fire. I wish you the best of luck."    Looneyducer

Offline tafts ta

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Feb 10, 2014, 03:47 PM »
You may not have been questioned, but what you are doing is certainly illegal.   Just because you know your local game warden doesn't make it legal and other people reading this should understand that so they don't get themselves in to a pickle.   I also have to wonder what an hour or two out of the water (even wrapped in a bag) is doing for a species such as trout or even bass.  It certainly can't be good for them particularly in sub-freezing temps.

It kind of interesting that you should respond to this question because I  PMed you just last week informing you that you can get a hand scale certified and do your weigh in right on the ice.  That is 73 fish that would not have had to be illegally trucked around out of water.  If getting your clients pins is that important (and I do think it is a cool thing to do) then you should make the small investment in a certifiable scale and the nominal fee for to get it certified.  Not only would it be better for the fishses, but it would also prevent you from breaking fish and game laws and possibly putting a fish in a stressful situation.  It would also save you a lot of work hauling fish around.

Capt.... Thank you for your genuine concern for my business. noted.
I did not respond, because you were wrong and I did not feel like getting into an argument and it was just easier to let you be right.

I invite you to call the IGFA. Boca Grip scales may be Certified by the IGFA to weigh in fish WITH THE IGFA. No state or local department of weights and measures recognizes some organization from florida as a governing source.
A fish caught in massachusetts to be weighed in for a Massachusetts state pin, must be weighed on a scale that has been certified by the Massachusetts department of weights and measures, or any town office in lieu of the state agency. Actually somebody else posted the exact wording just a few posts ago.

Not saying that you shouldn't be able to do it, but unfortunately you cannot. Any scale that has been certified by the state must be labeled by the agency or agent that inspected the scale. I hole is punched in the display placard to indicate the month and year of certification. Once the scale is certified, it must remain at the physical location where it was certified. Alteration of the label or location invalidates the certification.
SO by mass law, any scale that is portable by nature, could not officially be recognized for the pin program.

Also if you read my original post, I did not weigh in a single trout.

this is my business, it is in my best interest to know these things. Y'all are welcome to your opinion.
Host of TV's Guiding Ice
Pro-Staff HT ENTERPRISES, Pro Staff POLAR FIRE, Pro Staff VEXILAR, Pro Staff OTTER OUTDOORS, Pro Staff PK LURES, Pro Staff DEEP FREEZE, Pro Staff Bunker Up Fishin
Pro Staff JAW JACKERS

Offline tafts ta

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Feb 10, 2014, 03:50 PM »
If you wrap a fish in the wet towel do you also fill the bag with water or does the wet towel itself keep them alive??
The wet towel will keep them alive for hours except on the coldest of cold days. I would only add water if absolutely necessary
Host of TV's Guiding Ice
Pro Staff JAW JACKERS

Offline capt.shay

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pike and 'Eyes
« Reply #22 on: Feb 10, 2014, 03:57 PM »
Capt.... Thank you for your genuine concern for my business. noted.
I did not respond, because you were wrong and I did not feel like getting into an argument and it was just easier to let you be right.

I invite you to call the IGFA. Boca Grip scales may be Certified by the IGFA to weigh in fish WITH THE IGFA. No state or local department of weights and measures recognizes some organization from florida as a governing source.
A fish caught in massachusetts to be weighed in for a Massachusetts state pin, must be weighed on a scale that has been certified by the Massachusetts department of weights and measures, or any town office in lieu of the state agency. Actually somebody else posted the exact wording just a few posts ago.

Not saying that you shouldn't be able to do it, but unfortunately you cannot. Any scale that has been certified by the state must be labeled by the agency or agent that inspected the scale. I hole is punched in the display placard to indicate the month and year of certification. Once the scale is certified, it must remain at the physical location where it was certified. Alteration of the label or location invalidates the certification.
SO by mass law, any scale that is portable by nature, could not officially be recognized for the pin program.

Also if you read my original post, I did not weigh in a single trout.

this is my business, it is in my best interest to know these things. Y'all are welcome to your opinion.

So your business is breaking fish and game laws and being snooty about it. 

Got it.  Have a nice day. :)

Offline stitch

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #23 on: Feb 10, 2014, 04:31 PM »
C&R CATCH & FILLETT,EITHER OR ,IS ALWAYS GOING TO STIR UP A CRAP STORM.we  have a right to do both.ive done both.but one thing I will say I don't the paul was being snooty.if you know paul he speaks matter of factly.ive never met anyone more ethical or passionate about fishing.

Offline BoSox34

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Feb 10, 2014, 05:33 PM »
Thanks for the help... also I don't think it's a big deal if someone who runs a bait store allows people to weigh live fish.  They have no power to give that person a citation and they are not in charge of getting that customer in trouble.  I'm sure plenty of baitshops allow it.  I don't blame these  shops for allowing their customers to bring back a fish to live another day when it will otherwise end up in a dumpster.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #25 on: Feb 10, 2014, 05:49 PM »
Careful Paul if you keep pulling Capts strings he may come out of his applicator.

Offline Danderson

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #26 on: Feb 10, 2014, 08:41 PM »
Here's my take on it. I am a multi species "pin chaser". I've never really done any competitive sports, so I compete against myself to catch pins. I think they set a fairly realistic standard for what a trophy caliber fish is (but I don't agree with all the weights). I have only killed 1 fish that wouldn't have made it anyway (a walleye). I wrote down a list of some other fish and could have nearly double the pins I do now if I had killed the fish,but chose to release them instead.

I won the youth gold largemouth in 2008, a fish that I released and was caught by my friend 4 months later, something I am very proud of.

I am very dedicated to weighing pin fish so I bought and had certified a high quality scale last year, a Reuben Heaton. I still need a witness to sign the affidavit, but that normally isn't that difficult. Anyone that is in the Hampden- West Springifeld region that is interested in weighing pins, can PM me for my phone and I will gladly weigh them while I'm at work or home so you can later release the fish. I love the program and will continue to support and enjoy it

Offline BoSox34

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Feb 10, 2014, 08:50 PM »
Are there certain digital scales that can be certified or can any digital scale be certified if you bring them to the sealer of weights and measurement in your town?

Offline Danderson

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #28 on: Feb 10, 2014, 08:56 PM »
There are no specific ones but I suggest you get a good quality one and not a $20 walmart special

Are there certain digital scales that can be certified or can any digital scale be certified if you bring them to the sealer of weights and measurement in your town?

Offline capt.shay

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pike and 'Eyes
« Reply #29 on: Feb 10, 2014, 09:30 PM »

I am very dedicated to weighing pin fish so I bought and had certified a high quality scale last year, a Reuben Heaton. I

That's impossible.  Tafs ta said you can't do that, it is his business and it is in his best interest to know these things.  Therefore, you must be wrong.  I see he hasn't responded so he is probably allowing you to think you are right rather than argue with you, because it's easier.  So your wrong, and  Bean is wrong and Mike is wrong and a half dozen other people I know with certified hand scales are wrong.  Taftas right because he is a guide and it is his business to know these things.

That silliness aside, it is real nice of you to offer to help other people weigh their fish in live so they can get a pin.  Your a good man Dan.  That collection of pins is something to be proud of and don't listen to any of the nay sayers  here, most of them are just jealous because they can't catch the kind of quality fish you have at such a young(er) age.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.