New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Recoil Starters  (Read 560 times)

Offline EatenByLimestone

• Team IceShanty Regular
Recoil Starters
« on: Mar 15, 2017, 02:16 PM »
So, this wonderful storm made me start the snowblower.  Somehow the pull cord got wrapped around the axle and snapped.  Miraculously the recoil mechanism didn't break.  Trying to get the old cord back in has proven problematic to say the least.  That thin, stiff, tip up line sitting across the room is suddenly looking interesting as a pull cord.  Think it would live at only 27lbs?  I figure it might be relevant with fishing in case an auger cord broke on the ice.

Offline Ole Polanski

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Recoil Starters
« Reply #1 on: Mar 15, 2017, 02:49 PM »
Hey E.B.L.....Please do yourself a favor and get a NEW piece of pull cord!!!  Any lawnmower fixit shop will have it.   Bring the old with you because they come in different diameters.  Search on you tube for "rewind starter" and you'll see how it's done easily!!  Good luck.....PATIENCE is the key here....O.P.   :tipup:
"Where there's watah....There's Feesh!"

Offline fullThrottle

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Mar 15, 2017, 03:48 PM »
Most snow blowers taken a number 5 size pull cord, about 6 feet .  Remove the old peace of rope. Pre load the spring my twisting it the way it would if you were pulling the rope out of it until it can't any more.  Back it off to line up the sting holes. Heat up one end of the rope with a lighter so it's not a mess. Feed it into the both holes. Tie it off on the inner recoil wheel . Put the handle on the other end of the rope and let it all spool back up and reinstall the recoil ! Or watch a YouTube video

Offline EatenByLimestone

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Mar 15, 2017, 05:39 PM »
I got it all back together.   I ended up using about 8" of tip up line to help thread it.

Offline fullThrottle

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Mar 15, 2017, 07:40 PM »
Nice , the trick is to melt the end of the rope down to a point to get it in the holes easy. I just noticed your from niskayuna also. I own full throttle repair shop out of niskayuna, I would have hooked you up with a peace of primo recoil rope

Offline EatenByLimestone

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Mar 16, 2017, 02:35 AM »
Where in Nisky?  I can't remember seeing a sign for your shop.

Offline fullThrottle

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Mar 16, 2017, 08:36 AM »
I'm located near rt7 and ball town. We don't have a walk in store for customers, I have a shop set up at my house but we mostly do onsite work. We have a truck and trailer set up like a shop and we do repairs at people's houses.
You can check us out at www.fullthrottlerepair shop.com. I'm always helping people out who love local . I'm also a Briggs and STRATTON dealer

Offline EatenByLimestone

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Mar 16, 2017, 11:50 AM »
You're right down the road from me.   I'm down Balltown by WRGB.  I'll keep you in mind if I have small engine issues.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.