Author Topic: ice auger cases  (Read 7788 times)

Offline onthebank

• IceShanty Rookie
  • hi
ice auger cases
« on: Mar 01, 2008, 09:06 AM »
hey I was searching on ebay and seen some polyethylene ice auger cases.. they look nice..has anyone tried these cases?
they say that they are Canadian made..so just wondering how durable they might be..

Offline ravinerat

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: ice auger cases
« Reply #1 on: Mar 01, 2008, 07:17 PM »
arctic cat sells one but it's about $100. I used a 10" sewer pipe which worked ok and cost nothing. This is the guy I got the idea from.

RR

Be safe, Float!

Offline onthebank

• IceShanty Rookie
  • hi
« Reply #2 on: Mar 06, 2008, 02:03 PM »
arctic cat sells one but it's about $100. I used a 10" sewer pipe which worked ok and cost nothing. This is the guy I got the idea from.

RR

(Image removed from quote.)
I drive through a lot of powder snow..by the time I get to where I fish the motor would be plugged with snow and wouldnt run.. if I carried my auger like that..
plus I like the case that keeps the motor upright so no gas would spill in my car..
I think Im going to go with the ice auger moter case..

Offline ravinerat

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Mar 06, 2008, 03:37 PM »
What's the ice auger motor case?  I just put a large duffel bag over the power head. Works well. They also have covers for the auger heads. So your going to transport the auger up right"  I have seen a holder that holds it up right and stays in the holder to drill the holes.

RR
Be safe, Float!

Offline onthebank

• IceShanty Rookie
  • hi
« Reply #4 on: Mar 07, 2008, 07:50 PM »
well I have to haul my auger in the car..so I have to take it apart any way..
so the ice auger motor case looks right to me..

Offline ravinerat

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Mar 14, 2008, 07:08 AM »
again .... What's an ice auger motor case?  Do you have a pic. When I transport my auger in my vehicle I just make sure the gas tank is up and vent closed.

RR
Be safe, Float!

Offline ravinerat

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Mar 14, 2008, 05:08 PM »
I see what he means now. They do a good job of keeping the snow out of the head.

RR
Be safe, Float!

Offline onthebank

• IceShanty Rookie
  • hi
« Reply #8 on: Mar 15, 2008, 10:59 AM »
again .... What's an ice auger motor case?  Do you have a pic. When I transport my auger in my vehicle I just make sure the gas tank is up and vent closed.

RR
hi
its on ebay

http://cgi.ebay.com/Gas-Power-Ice-fishing-Auger-Motor-Case-sled-box-storage_W0QQitemZ150097637872QQihZ005QQcategoryZ36152QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQ_trksidZp1638.m118.l1247QQcmdZViewItem

Offline bucketmouth

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Have an ice day!
« Reply #9 on: Mar 15, 2008, 11:06 AM »
Neat idea I guess, but I can buy a lot of ice stuff for $113 plus shipping.  And even my rudimentary carpentry skills can build a wooden box to house an auger head for less than $20.

Offline onthebank

• IceShanty Rookie
  • hi
« Reply #10 on: Mar 15, 2008, 11:38 AM »
Neat idea I guess, but I can buy a lot of ice stuff for $113 plus shipping.  And even my rudimentary carpentry skills can build a wooden box to house an auger head for less than $20.

I had one built from wood.. the gas leaked out on my car seat.. this plastic one is great..

Offline ravinerat

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Mar 15, 2008, 04:55 PM »

well it does look neat. You could just go to Walmart and buy a rubbermaid container. Then just take so 3M insulation and build up the bottom to keep it up right in the container.

I thought you were talking about something for a snowmobile or Atv.

RR

Be safe, Float!

Offline onthebank

• IceShanty Rookie
  • hi
« Reply #12 on: Mar 16, 2008, 12:43 PM »

well it does look neat. You could just go to Walmart and buy a rubbermaid container. Then just take so 3M insulation and build up the bottom to keep it up right in the container.

I thought you were talking about something for a snowmobile or Atv.

RR

this is made from heavy duty plastic.. not that cheap china made crap..

the box fits in my rear rack and can really take a beating..with out breaking into a million pieces.

I love it and I would pay 100 + bucks to keep my auger safe and dry..

nothing like getting to the lake to find your auger all froze up and not being able to drill a hole.

Offline ravinerat

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Mar 16, 2008, 12:54 PM »
What ever works for you. I'll let you know when my auger freezes up.

RR
Be safe, Float!

Offline bucketmouth

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Have an ice day!
« Reply #14 on: Mar 16, 2008, 09:33 PM »
this is made from heavy duty plastic.. not that cheap china made crap..

the box fits in my rear rack and can really take a beating..with out breaking into a million pieces.

I love it and I would pay 100 + bucks to keep my auger safe and dry..

nothing like getting to the lake to find your auger all froze up and not being able to drill a hole.

So based on this response you already own one... or are indeed the one selling it on eBay...  Either way, hope it works out for you. 

Offline tip-uptwo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Mar 17, 2008, 05:31 AM »
Ice is not that bad. How about getting to your fishing spot only to start chewing threw a can som bozo left on the ice some previous outing ::) :P >:(
Andrew

Offline onthebank

• IceShanty Rookie
  • hi
« Reply #16 on: Mar 18, 2008, 12:44 AM »
So based on this response you already own one... or are indeed the one selling it on eBay...  Either way, hope it works out for you. 
got one now.. just came back from my fishing trip..
its 16 miles one way.. through powder snow and slush on the lakes that we had to cross..
best thing i ever bought.. :-)

oh ya and we had some great walleye action..but nothing over 8 lbs on this trip

Offline ravinerat

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Mar 20, 2008, 06:21 AM »
Get us some action shots of your holder in action. I just doen't want to be removing the power head each time I move. If conditions are real bad I just place a duffel bag over the head to keep the snow out. I've actually used my hand auger all season since the ice hasn't been too bad. For me it's mostly because I haven't built an auger carrier/holder. Now I have a new sled I'll work on it.

RR
Be safe, Float!

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #18 on: Mar 20, 2008, 06:36 AM »
ive looked at some of the hard plastics ones made by otter, and did not like the way the augers fit in them. I think I would perfer the full body and head soft case you can buy from cableas. It has carrying straps and makes it easy to get it on and off the ice

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.