Author Topic: Newfound Circus Season 2018  (Read 71812 times)

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
Newfound Circus Season 2018
« on: Jan 01, 2018, 06:17 PM »
Hello Everyone! Happy New Years! Welcome to the Newfound Circus Thread for Season 2018.

Season 2018 is now underway and good ol’ jack frost is on our side this year. Newfound lake has some pretty decent ice from the foot of the lake up to Cummings Beach. Houses are going out and the Circus is starting to come together. One of my favorite times of the season, watching houses with old / new friends joining in and getting their gear ready for hopefully a very long season of good ice fishing.

For those that don’t know, Newfound Lake is a very clean clear cold water lake. There is great lake trout fishing, cusk fishing and really nice rainbow trout fishing. I also believe the next state record for yellow perch will come out of Newfound. Some huge yellows in the lake. I’ve heard really good small mouth bass as well.
For us it all starts out at the south end of the lake so we can work out any bugs and get things working again in our bobhouses then eventually we migrate north. From there we all split up and hit “our spots” all around the lake. Although we might not be near each other, we are never alone.  We communicate via FRS walkie talkies on Channel 5.5 with lots of chatter on the radio (Please note, not kid friendly) that anyone can jump in and holler out, We’ll go visiting when the fishing is slow and help each other out in times of need. Every weekend there seems to be something going on which keeps us all coming back and looking forward to more. You just never know but one thing for sure, there is plenty of laughs and great camaraderie among those that fish Newfound Lake.

Anyone and everyone is welcome to post comments, provide updates, videos, pictures, questions or whatever from their adventures on Newfound. Its fun to share and keeps the thread interesting.
FYI, To be a member of the Newfond Circus, you simply need to fish Newfound, have a handle, a FRS radio is a good idea and drop any issues or hangups you may have at shore before stepping onto the ice. Our season is short and we want to make the most of it in a positive fashion. Be kind to each other and lend a hand whenever possible and pay it forward. Set the example for others to follow so they can pay it forward too.
As we all know, mother nature can be a real….well you know. Working together we can overcome pretty much any adversaries she may dish out. Untied we stand, divided we get our arses kicked….or something like that….wasnt much good at quotes.

So without further ado, Let the madness begin to what we consider one of the best times of the year to enjoy the great outdoors and each others awesome company.
I hope everyone has a safe and productive Season 2018.

Cheers!

01/01/2018 update from today:

Laker Taker ended the day with 4 lakers and 1 cusk, Tippin with 1 and i lost 2 (one on the spring line and another jigging). CH saw lakers on the camera all day and Laker Taker even saw some smelt (he lost 5 on a Hali jig). Lakers were hitting Cut Bait, Smelt and Red Fin Shiners. They were happy to see us again or just hungry. We are fishing in 33 to 37 fow. Right now at Cummings beach we have about 13" of ice. Looking at the forecast, we'll be making more! The temp was very cold today. Reached -31F with wind chill and saw wind speeds up to 30 mph. Typical of Newfound i.e.: windy.
Visibility on the camera was good having not much snow cover on the ice. Sun light was able to get through.

Troutfreak got his house out this morning fishing along with Maggot. There was also a small portable on the lake for most of the day, must of been a bit tough fishing out in it and as CH and i were leaving, we saw another couple heading out and setting up another portable.

Noticed several people stopping by the parking lot taking pictures of the crazy ice fishermen / women. Even saw a couple come out to take selfies of themselves on the ice with the houses in the background. Pretty cold for selfies. They didnt stay long.

Setting up the house took a bit of time this morning. Been almost a year so out of practice but it came together eventually. I'll get some more practice tomorrow morning as I'm heading back out.

Will post up pictures later.

Offline jimmyrig

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Newfound Circus Season 2018
« Reply #1 on: Jan 01, 2018, 06:35 PM »
Good to see the new thread started as usual Jiggin. Hope you folks all have a great safe and successful season!

wish we were closer, We would be out there joining you guys...

Jason
that is thinking with your dipstick......jimmy

Offline redneckfisherman5

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 01, 2018, 06:42 PM »
I'll be out there Wednesday with the nice weather ! Got a new flip over shelter to try out for running and gunning looking for lake trout!
Trout -the real pink meat

Offline Coffin Dodger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 01, 2018, 07:18 PM »
Good luck to the circus crew.
You guys set a great example for all anglers.

Please let Denny and I know if there are any Stephanie sightings.
Heard rumors that there will be cookies on the dark side when applicable.

Offline Glo.Bug

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 01, 2018, 08:23 PM »
First time fishing at Newfound Lake today. Had a bit of a late start...accidentally locked ourselves out of the apartment...but finally got to the lake late afternoon. Set up the quickfish and got the new buddy heater going. Had a few bites on some shiners and saw a couple fish on the flasher. Packed up and headed out once it started to get dark out. Almost left frozen boyfriend behind on ice when we were leaving, but I didn't want to pull back both sleds..  Beautiful place and can't wait to fish there again next weekend!

Offline HuntnFish603

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If I can hunt it, or fish it....I'M THERE!
« Reply #5 on: Jan 01, 2018, 08:43 PM »
To the Circus Crew: Have a safe and successful season....
Some of us don't get up that way too often besides the Get Together, but I always appreciate this thread and the posts. We all get to live and enjoy your season out on Newfound through your great posts, but at the same time create our own memories on our home turf. Glad the circus is back in town. Look forward to riding along with ya....
- In every walk with nature, every hunt, every fishing trip....one receives far more than he seeks.

Offline benny8

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 02, 2018, 02:58 AM »
Good Luck to the Circus this year. Just finished reading thru last years thread. Looks like a great group. Really like to see other fishermen and women sticking together and helping one another out. Hoping to join the circus this year a couple times. Never fished Newfound, but would like to try catching some big yellows and my Bro likes to fish for Lakers and Bows. With the new Quickfish 5, he's hoping to get the family out. Tight lines friends.

Offline dennisg34

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Love to fish!
« Reply #7 on: Jan 02, 2018, 05:28 AM »
Can't wait to get back on here this year and hopefully be able to fish my spot for the first time in 4 years! I took a drive here Sunday after leaving Stinkson and saw a good 2/3 of the lake at least was covered in ice. My spot is half caught and half open, so I'm hoping some wind can die down enough to catch and build some ice. Need to get a walkie this year so I can finally tune into 5.5 as well while I jig. Good luck all and tight lines  :tipup: :tipup: :tipup:

Offline meatandmetal

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Jan 02, 2018, 06:13 AM »
Good luck to the circus crew.
You guys set a great example for all anglers.

Please let Denny and I know if there are any Stephanie sightings.
Heard rumors that there will be cookies on the dark side when applicable.

Offline Brendog9

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ga head
« Reply #9 on: Jan 02, 2018, 08:28 AM »
I got out with my buddy for a few freezing hours on the 1st. We set up the portable shelter down in Hebron Bay. I didn't think I'd be able to get it set up, but figured everyone in the house was watching so I didn't have a choice.

My buddy christened the new shelter with a very nice 20" laker jigging. I managed to jig a nice yellow perch as well. We were marking a lot of fish but couldn't get anything to commit. It felt so nice being back out and I'm looking forward to heading up again for MLK weekend.

I saw a few of the familiar bobs out on the ice driving by Cummings on our way home. Jiggin, I pointed out your house to my wife and explained to her what the Circus was. Live look at the wife's reaction:  ::)
Marking anything?

Offline dennisg34

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Love to fish!
« Reply #10 on: Jan 02, 2018, 11:33 AM »
F&G maps say there's whitefish in here. Has anyone ever jigged one up?

Offline zwiggles

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Jan 02, 2018, 11:47 AM »
The state maps list several lakes with lake whitefish, but I have only ever heard of one being caught in squam, and a diver with F&G took a picture of one in winni a few years ago.  Supposedly someone caught one on winni last year, and mistook it for a salmon, but I’m skeptical of that report.

I’m not sure if they disappeared from the lakes, or if people just don’t target them anymore. They live so deep I have been told it is very hard to do any kind of survey on them.

The round whitefish record is out of newfound from 2005, but there a different species. I would love to catch one of them, but it seems like VT, or Maine is going to be your best option.

BrookieSlayer99

« Reply #12 on: Jan 02, 2018, 01:14 PM »
Lake Whitefish are pretty much decimated in NH except for Big Squam, although they do not come "readily" from there. Newfound has Round Whitefish which are now  a threatened species and must be released, and even then those are in few numbers. NHTF caught one a few years ago in NF. There is a new program trying to stock round whitefish in Newfound lake to bring their numbers back.

Offline zwiggles

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Jan 02, 2018, 03:08 PM »

Here is an old thread I remembered reading about whitefish in NH: https://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=243603.msg2472218#msg2472218

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #14 on: Jan 02, 2018, 07:29 PM »
01/02/2018

CH and I fished today. Saw a bunch of lakers swim by but no takers. Did see a couple of huge clouds of smelt come through. Our youngest grandson came out and joined us after school, he's 5 yrs old and big enough to start learning about ice fishing and more importantly big enough to not fall completely through a 10" hole. He seemed to like it but it was only his first trip out for a few hours. We had diner together on the ice in the bob house.
Back to Reality starting tomorrow....enjoyed the time off.

Some sights from yesterday and today.

Got the houses moved off shore

Morning sun, Opening day

Jan 1 2018 Temps and Wind

Jan 2 2018 Temps and Wind, a bit warmer....

Clouds of Smelt

Clouds of Smelt

Party at Troutfreak's

Logan our youngest grandson starting out with a jig stick

Trying to show me how its done....

Offline mowbizz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Jan 02, 2018, 08:26 PM »
Awesome stuff Jiggin!
Shobizz and I are shooting for Friday to get our new house out there!
Lots of lakers and no takers sounds familiar!

Offline Cherwnvega

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 03, 2018, 07:01 AM »
Ice is looking good....hope to get the house out on Saturday in the - temps lol
“Give a man a fish; you have fed him for today.  Teach a man to fish, and he will sit in the boat and drink beer all day"

Offline Cub

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Jan 03, 2018, 07:50 AM »
Can't wait to read and see all the adventures!!  :tipup:
Jig em up!

Offline mowbizz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Jan 03, 2018, 11:54 AM »
I'll be out there Wednesday with the nice weather ! Got a new flip over shelter to try out for running and gunning looking for lake trout!

Hey bud!
Did you ever get your new aluminum house (that you won last year) set up?

Offline OldCaveman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Jan 03, 2018, 04:57 PM »
  Jiggin good job getting the young man out there.
John

Offline mowbizz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Jan 03, 2018, 06:27 PM »
.   I still have it 6x8 going to northern fab with it tomorrow for a new door and possibly trade it in for a 7x10 or something along those lines

Great! We sold the orange 5x8 and are setting up a red 6x10 now...much roomier!
Stop by and say hello if you’re on Newfound after this week!

Offline redneckfisherman5

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Jan 03, 2018, 06:43 PM »
Great! We sold the orange 5x8 and are setting up a red 6x10 now...much roomier!
Stop by and say hello if you’re on Newfound after this week!
that is my goal is a 6x10 or 7x10 , and who knows I may have my shack on newfound all year saw tons of fish today on the camera and the flasher ! Got the blood pumping for sure
Trout -the real pink meat

Offline mowbizz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Jan 03, 2018, 07:50 PM »
that is my goal is a 6x10 or 7x10 , and who knows I may have my shack on newfound all year saw tons of fish today on the camera and the flasher ! Got the blood pumping for sure

Can’t wait to get out there and see them myself!

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #23 on: Jan 03, 2018, 07:52 PM »
01/03/2018

Well enough of Cummings Beach. Practice and getting everything tuned up is over. We (Laker Taker, Tippin and I) bounced our houses out to the north end of Mayhew onto pure black ice. Checked the ice first, around 8" of the good stuff. Decided to bounce before the storm coming in tomorrow.
Hoping the high winds will blow it all down south keeping the ice exposed to become thicker.
Did have to cross over a rough patch (usual spot every year) but took it slow and steady. Made sure everything was button down in the house cause it was bumpy!

Nice evening out...Cold (but warmer than the last several days 22F) with no wind.

Now its time to get serious....  ;D

Offline mowbizz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Jan 03, 2018, 08:13 PM »
Cool!
Will you be coming out from Wellington after the storm? I was wondering how thick the ice was coming out of the boat ramp...I know it was locked up there but I didn’t venture out onto the ice.

Offline FishSlayer20

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Jan 04, 2018, 06:35 AM »
Good Luck Boys!
I will miss my wife this winter, I'll see her in the spring!

Offline meatandmetal

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Jan 04, 2018, 07:40 AM »
Jiggin glad you had an early start this year I can't believe you and CH are grandparents. CH looks too young to be a grandparent.  ;D

Offline YT125

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Jan 04, 2018, 07:57 AM »
Looking forward to our first year on Newfound, looking forward to new friends, good times and lots of big fish!

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #28 on: Jan 04, 2018, 11:26 AM »
Cool!
Will you be coming out from Wellington after the storm? I was wondering how thick the ice was coming out of the boat ramp...I know it was locked up there but I didn’t venture out onto the ice.

No I haven’t. Not even sure if it has been plowed out.

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #29 on: Jan 04, 2018, 11:30 AM »
Jiggin glad you had an early start this year I can't believe you and CH are grandparents. CH looks too young to be a grandparent.  ;D

And I do?!?  ;)  lol.

She got a chuckle from reading your post. Said thank you. 
We actually have 3 grandkids. 13, 11 and 5 yrs. I knocked her up at an early age so we could enjoy ice fishing while we are still young later in life. Did the parenting thing. All done w that. :)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.