Author Topic: Help?! New lake with big perch!  (Read 2440 times)

Offline chasepalosaari

• Team IceShanty Regular
Help?! New lake with big perch!
« on: Dec 12, 2012, 05:54 PM »
So I got this private lake I have access to fish. It's 64 acres, clear and ~ 30 feet deep. Visible 12-15 feet down. I have caught two jumbos there in 2 trips. And I know there's more jumbos in there. I fished at 20 ft deep last time cause that's all I could get to early ice. I tried blood worm plastics, waxes on Swedish pimples and more. However I haven't tried minnows yet which is probably the key to catching them. What would you do? Rigging the bait, tip ups ect... Thanks guys!  :tipup:

Offline Jigmup

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Help?! New lake with big perch!
« Reply #1 on: Dec 12, 2012, 06:52 PM »
wigglers
Never tell a fish where its supposed to be

Offline Swift

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Dec 12, 2012, 07:28 PM »
wigglers
Never a bad option if they're easily available locally. Check the stomach contents of the next one you stumble in to, them imitate whatever it happens to be. Small waters are great, you've already have them cornered, now feed them what they want

Offline Fontona19

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Dec 12, 2012, 07:44 PM »
Minnows will catch them if they are in there.  ;)

Offline chasepalosaari

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 16, 2012, 09:42 AM »
So I fished this new lake I posted about with 2 other guys. We pulled out 2 13 inchers and 2 11 inchers. Fat! Deepest water was 23 feet with 12 foot of visibility. I know there's more in there. We used small Swedish pimples with a minnow hooked thru the back.

Offline BryanG

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 26, 2012, 03:11 PM »
if its clear enough just site fish them. smallest rapala jigs tipped with a plastic salmon egg and jig at the bottom and keep slowly rishing in the water colum the big happy perch will smash it using this technique

Offline nonamer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Dec 26, 2012, 03:12 PM »
love those large fish.

Offline big bobber

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • cant fish during the day...learn to fish at night
« Reply #7 on: Dec 27, 2012, 03:40 PM »
i use a double jig set up..a rat fink on top...sinkr in middle...a plain red hook on bottom...a minnow tail on the top jig...a minnow head on bottom...a minnow also works....this is just one of my techniques...experimen t every trip as the fish act differently in different water.
i just know they will bite if i stay another hour.

Offline monoped

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Dec 30, 2012, 02:04 PM »
Minnows sound great. If legal and action gets busy a perch eye or cut bait could help. If dorsal area hooking not effective try between dorsal and tail. Keep experimenting on one rod,upside down hooking ect.till they react.
Thats deep to me, when perchin i like to keep bait down to keep them busy so they don,t nomad away so soon. Time dead stick picks one up i,m reeling jig rod up and no bait down!
Hole in ice attracts loose and dropped objects.
Value adds speed.

Offline fishon35

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Dec 30, 2012, 02:14 PM »
In 15-30 ft. of water, I like to put a bell sinker on the bottom of the line and tie 3 jigs spaced 8" apart and about 8" between the first jig and sinker.  I do that because if they are biting, I want to get the bait back down as quick as possible.  Each jig is either a football jig or colored simple jigs.  I use different colors to see what color is preferred.  Real small Rapalla shad raps work great to on the bottom instead of a sinker.  Had good luck in the perch color and silver/blue.

Offline monoped

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Dec 30, 2012, 05:02 PM »
Fishon35,great post. Decades ago when after first deeper water perch with 2 lb test on two wood peg holder,a tiny teardrop,float smaller than a small grape ect. Some one like your self showed me his rig.
Thanks for sharing.
Hole in ice attracts loose and dropped objects.
Value adds speed.

Offline fishon35

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Dec 30, 2012, 06:56 PM »
Thanks monoped.  I forgot to add the most important part. . . Bait!  On each jig, I'll throw different bait.  One will have spikes, one will have minnows, and the last one will have an eye.  Whatever seems to produce larger perch, typically the minnow, will be used exclusively on all three.  Can also play around with your spacing of jigs to produce an effect that looks like a school of bait fish- almost like an Alabama bass rig effect.

Offline slab88

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Dec 31, 2012, 09:06 AM »
Do you have access to grubs

Offline perch md

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 01, 2013, 06:19 PM »
Fished a similiar lake with same problem Is there a lot of pike or pickeral in the lake?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.