Author Topic: Greasing reels  (Read 1394 times)

Offline SirCranksalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Greasing reels
« on: Nov 10, 2018, 10:12 AM »

I have never done my own because it sounded too complicated using the AA method shown on the first link.

[ Invalid YouTube link ]

The method shown on this second link looks easier but I don't know how effective or thorough it would be.

How do you grease yours?

Also, when I went to Cabela's they had no grease but the guy suggested using white lithium. Comments? thx
Keep yer stick on the ice!

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Greasing reels
« Reply #1 on: Nov 10, 2018, 10:30 AM »
Have you done the freezer test to the reel first to see if it really needs to be re greased? Stick it in the freezer for 30-60mins and see how it feels.
I had to completely strip my new reel down, washed with hot soapy water, and scrubbed with a tooth brush (designated for household cleaning). I used Abu Garcia grease and oil based on esox’s recommendation and it has passed the freezer test. As for breaking down and putting the reel back together, you tube videos for your model or brand helps a lot. Take pics as your taking each piece off to make sure it goes back right. Granted I messed up my first reel (okuma stratus V from dicks), put it together wrong and lost parts  :P but payed close attention on the exchange I got and got it all done right.

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #2 on: Nov 10, 2018, 11:10 AM »
As for breaking down and putting the reel back together, you tube videos for your model or brand helps a lot. Take pics as your taking each piece off to make sure it goes back right. Granted I messed up my first reel (okuma stratus V from dicks), put it together wrong and lost parts  :P but payed close attention on the exchange I got and got it all done right.

That was always my favorite. Folks roll into the tackle shop with a reel, a baggie of parts and a sheepish look. I always got 'em back together and working even though I may not have been familiar that that specific reel brand or model.

My second favorite was the owner (Pat) and me finally convincing an OCD customer that we really could clean and service his reels without messing them up. I tuned up Pat and when Kevin came in to pick up his reels they were all spic and span just like new... with a baggie of a few parts from the "bombed out barrel" we kept for spare parts. "Hi Kevin, reels cleaned up very nicely but I had a few parts left over. Everything seems to work OK but if you run into a problem bring 'em back in and I'll see if I can find where they go..." I know, I'm evil  >:D You can imagine the reaction. Pat thought it was hilarious. He was friends with both Kevin and me independently, Kevin and I never crossed paths except at the shop.
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline matzilla

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Nov 11, 2018, 08:48 AM »
white lithium works well on parts that slide - a synthetic reel grease is a better option but I've used both with good results. Parts that spin should be oiled with synthetic reel oil or precision machine oil (sewing machine oil works too)

Catchin' Fish

Offline Buckshots

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Nov 11, 2018, 09:36 AM »
I just give them a spray of some JB80.

Offline lunkerslayer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Nov 11, 2018, 10:58 AM »
Quantum hot sauce oil and grease just a little dab will do
There is nothing that compares IMHO

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #6 on: Nov 11, 2018, 01:03 PM »
I take out all grease out of a reel im using for icefishing.replace with a couple drops of hot sauce or liberty synthetic oil.theres not much wear and tear on a ice reel.as far as casting or retrieving lures and such so no wear on parts with just oil instead of grease.

Offline mazak730

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Nov 28, 2018, 01:58 AM »
I take out all grease out of a reel im using for icefishing.replace with a couple drops of hot sauce or liberty synthetic oil.theres not much wear and tear on a ice reel.as far as casting or retrieving lures and such so no wear on parts with just oil instead of grease.

X2

Offline SirCranksalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Nov 28, 2018, 07:48 AM »
Thx guys. I am having some trouble finding hot sauce right now---maybe wait a bit.

I did the freezer test on a Sienna and it worked fine. Mind you, it gets a lot colder out there on the lake than it does in my freezer.
Keep yer stick on the ice!

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #9 on: Nov 28, 2018, 08:08 AM »
This gets hashed around a ton and there's as many different philosophies and products as there are ice holes at a jamboree. Hot sauce - over-rated and waaaay over priced. No disrespect to anyone who uses or swears by it, just my experience with it. Here's my thoughts from another thread: https://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=335159.msg3552594#msg3552594 I have found best price for the ABU grease at FiashUSA.
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline maddogg

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Nov 28, 2018, 09:51 AM »
Quantum hot sauce oil and grease just a little dab will do
There is nothing that compares IMHO

Where can you find  hot sauce oil or grease for sale? Looks like it's discontinued.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.