Author Topic: Until it gets here  (Read 1404 times)

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
Until it gets here
« on: Nov 03, 2018, 04:19 AM »
Waiting on my "Smitty Sled" kit for xmas, I decided to enhance the pullability of my fx50 windbreak (even with the gear...not too heavy). So, after careful research of ideas and opinions (Google and IS members), I've decided to try the following:

1) Lightly sand any scratches/gouges off bottom of sled...there aren't many; it's fairly new.
2) Apply 2 coats of car wax ( Meguiars cleaner wax) I know, some have said not to use wax with cleaner...but I'm a rebel  ;D
3) Apply 1 coat ArmorAll protectant...wipe off excess

And if it doesn't work...take it all off and wait for Smitty Sled or...someone tell Clark Griswold he's met his match.  ;)
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
Re: Until it gets here
« Reply #1 on: Nov 03, 2018, 04:38 AM »
HEY! Iceassin...

Aren't you supposed to be sleeping?  ::)  :roflmao:
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #2 on: Nov 03, 2018, 04:50 AM »
HEY! Iceassin...

Aren't you supposed to be sleeping?  ::)  :roflmao:

What is this sleeping you speak of?  ??? :roflmao:

Besides, my daughter is supposed to be here at 9:00 to pick up furniture and I don't want to be late. :whistle:

Offline Spider1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Nov 03, 2018, 05:21 AM »
the only problem I have with coating the bottom like that is that the first time you drag it on dirt, pavement or anything abrasive, it'll scratch off quick enough to make it not worth the effort. me and a couple buddies went out last year to a lake that had about half an inch of snow on it. We left the smitty's at the trucks. On the drag back in there was about 1 1/2" of wet snow and the drag was a different story. The front of their tubs were very straight and vertical, they plowed the snow and were tough to drag. Mine had a radiused front and tended to lift up on the snow and was easier to pull. With a smitty, we would all have just cruised along. I don't even wax my smitty skis anymore because I drag it across some parking lots, gravel roads and paths and down some boat ramps pretty much every time out. The wax doesn't last very long. Sometimes I'll spray them down with armor-all. It helps keep the bottoms of the skis from freezing to the ice and snow.

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #4 on: Nov 03, 2018, 05:36 AM »
Yep. Most anything will scrape off sooner (most of the time) or later. Still, I like to hit the sled bottom and auger flights with some good ol' Johnson's Paste Wax. It's a lot cheaper than fancy car waxes and much (much) more durable. For that matter ArmorAll is surprisingly durable as well. I use it to lube the shaft on my trolling motor and I only have to freshen it up every couple week and there's plenty of up and down on that.

Psssst: I've been awake since 2:00  :P

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #5 on: Nov 03, 2018, 06:15 AM »
Well, I already have the car wax so no money lost ( if I hadn't I would have bought Johnson's) and DG has ArmorAll wipes for like $4...and I have the sandpaper. Excuse me, Dr. Frankenstein needs to get to the lab  >:D

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #6 on: Nov 04, 2018, 06:09 AM »
Well, I'm out of the lab and the clinical trial is complete...and I think it's going to work...for now.

Sand bottom...wax on / wax off...wax on /wax off...ArmorAll Protectant on / AAP off.

So as I was getting ready to take it back to the shed, I leaned it up against the wall to open the door. When I turned to grab it, down the wall it went, burned through the house and smashed right through the slider. I haven't seen it since. But when I do...GAME ON CLARK!!! :thumbsup:

Anyway, it feels slick enough. Probably hit it with another coat of AA before hitting the ice. I know it won't last forever...but it's a start.

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #7 on: Nov 04, 2018, 07:03 AM »
Well, I'm out of the lab and the clinical trial is complete...and I think it's going to work...for now.

Sand bottom...wax on / wax off...wax on /wax off...ArmorAll Protectant on / AAP off.

So as I was getting ready to take it back to the shed, I leaned it up against the wall to open the door. When I turned to grab it, down the wall it went, burned through the house and smashed right through the slider. I haven't seen it since. But when I do...GAME ON CLARK!!! :thumbsup:

Anyway, it feels slick enough. Probably hit it with another coat of AA before hitting the ice. I know it won't last forever...but it's a start.

IT'S ALIVE!!!

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #8 on: Nov 04, 2018, 07:14 AM »

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.