Author Topic: Helix 7 ?  (Read 1059 times)

Offline hoytpower

• IceShanty Rookie
Helix 7 ?
« on: Nov 01, 2018, 08:45 PM »
Looking at getting a helix 7. Pros cons? Would like to get the all season pack, but would aslo like the down or side imaging vs just the multi color chirp sonar, but i dont think its an option to have the down imaging and get the ice ducer. Ice ducers listed on the site say not compatable with DI unit, would it work with a side imaging u it?. Any one know if its possible?

Offline jakefetch

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Helix 7 ?
« Reply #1 on: Nov 01, 2018, 08:51 PM »
It will work.  They have a couple of different ice ducers.  The ones you likely saw are only compatible with non-chirp G1 units.  The XI9 1521 ducers will work with the G2 chirp units.  You will not be able to use DI or SI in Ice Mode however.  Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.  But I just bought the SI unit, portable pack with battery and the 1521 transducer for ice season.

Offline matzilla

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Nov 02, 2018, 07:38 AM »
XI9 1521 will work with a di unit but only in the 200khz chirp range. you wont have the 455khz narrow beam chirp with that transducer. Di units have 200/455khz 2d sonar compared to 200/83khz of the SI or standard sonar Helix models.

Catchin' Fish

Offline jakefetch

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Nov 02, 2018, 01:25 PM »
So the 1521 will have both beams with a G2 SI unit? 

Offline holehopper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Me and Dave Genz
« Reply #4 on: Nov 02, 2018, 05:02 PM »
I have a 7 SI.  Used it on the boat and now have it on a Genz box with the 1521 ice ducer.  Pros....side by side flasher and traditional graph.  Use it to get to a spot via the gps and then use it to fish the spot with the flasher and/or graph.  Really like the structure/depth shading capabilities.  Allows you to easily target specific depths and weed edges.  That is probably my favorite aspect of the Bird units.  Cons....battery life...it takes some juice to power that screen.  You'll get 6 hours or so from it depending on brightness, etc.  Overall good units.  I use mine occasionally on the ice but my Vex 28 is my primary. 
Never Stop Never Stopping

Offline Curley

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #5 on: Nov 06, 2018, 06:04 AM »
Bought the helix 7 g2 si for the salt, then grabbed the kit with the transducer. As stated before Down and side imaging don't work on ice, but the 2 d is in chirp mode so separation is excellent. The maps are key to me to get on my marks. No guessing.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.