Author Topic: anyone fish saugeye through the ice? looking for tips  (Read 9960 times)

Offline falbinki

• Team IceShanty Regular
i used to live in ny but now have moved to ohio i have a lake "atwood lake" just minutes from my house. it is a great saugeye fishery in the open water but there seems to be none that targets these fish through the ice. everyone looks for crappies through the ice. i have caught a ton of them on open water there but have not had a chance to fish the ice for them yet? i do alot of ice fishing but not much for walleyes but i have done some. so i'm just wondering  is the pattern the same for saugeye as walleye through the ice? will these fish be on breaklines, deep structure, and so on? and do they mostly only bite during twilight hours like the walleye? any tips would be greatly appreciated. i'd love to get into them in the winter like i do in the summer i just have no idea where to start since no one fishes for them through the ice.

Offline falbinki

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: anyone fish saugeye through the ice? looking for tips
« Reply #1 on: Oct 22, 2006, 05:00 AM »
no saugeye fisherman? this is what i mean no one seems to target these fish around here through the ice. looks like i just might have to try figure them out myself i guess.

Offline Bean

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Oct 22, 2006, 07:06 AM »
Just give this thread a little more time. If you asked this question in December, I'm sure you'd get a few replies.
Ken                                          

Offline John_Boy

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Regular
  • Give me ice or give me death !!!
« Reply #3 on: Oct 22, 2006, 07:51 AM »
Hey Falbinki
I've targeted saugeye for a few years . They pretty much have the same habits of a walleye , Although Ive not had much success in catching them because they lower my lake during the winter months . I have went to other lakes and caught a few . Try fishing shallow,  i've seen em caught in less then three feet of water . Atwood ? isn't that up im akron, cleveland area ? I  live in central Ohio  . Good luck
                                                                John

Offline blue mule

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • LOOK CLOSER...
« Reply #4 on: Oct 22, 2006, 05:57 PM »
fish for them a lot, but i've never caught one through the ice. below dams, i've caught them in winter when it's cold but i've never pulled one through a hole. timing seems to be important. they might bite for an hour a day,usually 3 a.m.or some wierd hour. they catch a lot of them in buckeye lake at night. it's big but shallow so it freezes fast. never tried it but maybe this year......... hope this helps.

Offline falbinki

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Oct 22, 2006, 06:05 PM »
no john actually atwood is in central ohio. it's about 30 minutes south of canton.it's real  close for me to go to. but they also let this lake down in the winter so the ice is hit or miss. last year they fished about 3 days out there right at christmas time and that was it. i fished it quite a bit the year before. i do real good on crappies there, but i'd love to catch some saugeye through the ice there. there's a ton of them in there i kill them in the spring and summer.

Offline falbinki

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Oct 22, 2006, 06:06 PM »
anything helps at this point mule   thanks

Offline blue mule

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • LOOK CLOSER...
« Reply #7 on: Oct 23, 2006, 06:25 PM »
keep in touch. you get ice before i do i'll head up that way.

Offline falbinki

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Oct 23, 2006, 10:55 PM »
yeah mule keep in touch maybe we could do some fishing together this winter.

Offline blue mule

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • LOOK CLOSER...
« Reply #9 on: Oct 25, 2006, 07:13 PM »
lookin forward to it

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.