Author Topic: watching ice grow  (Read 695 times)

Offline nodak

• IceShanty Rookie
watching ice grow
« on: Nov 19, 2011, 04:28 PM »
I am sheet-rocking and taping the basement of the lake house today.  I have to walk upstairs about every half hour for beer or other stuff.  Every time I walk upstairs there is another 25-100 feet of ice on the lake.  I would guess the ice is already about a half mile off the shore. There is no wind and the thermometer reads six degrees F.  The forecast for tonight is saying the temp. will drop to -8 F.  I expect to be fishing the Friday after Thanksgiving.  Very happy and excited!
Big pike thru a hole are fun!

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
Re: watching ice grow
« Reply #1 on: Nov 19, 2011, 04:40 PM »
Good deal. Nothing better than watching Ice grow.
<===Lefty===

Offline jekross42

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Nov 19, 2011, 05:56 PM »
wish we could get temps like that in Central New York, we barely get temps like that in late january. instead we get the snow off of lake ontario had about 4 foot 2nd week of december in the city of syracuse which is pretty rare for us, we get some big ones but nothing like that.

Offline nodak

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Nov 19, 2011, 06:20 PM »
It is currently neg. 1 F with no wind.  The last time I saw the lake today the ice had grown about a quarter mile since noon. (it is dark by 5pm) It is cold and there is no wind.  I think Lake Audubon might be covered in ice by the time I wake up tomorrow.  Perfect conditions for ice.  It is very cold, no wind, and no snow.  The forecast has no snow for the next ten days.  Maybe we will get good ice this year!  The past couple years we have had a big snow storm right after first ice and the conditions have been horrid until about February.  Here is hoping it stays cold with no moisture.

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #4 on: Nov 19, 2011, 06:57 PM »
It would be nice to actually be able to get on the ice without needing a snowmobile. Too much snow for the last few years. I new it has been cold up there lately because the sky was full of snow geese last night.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline saugerslayer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Nov 19, 2011, 07:01 PM »
Thats good news to me, hoping to get out on Thanksgiving morning. Heading up to the Lake Darling area tommorow to check ice conditions.  Should be some fishable ice in a few days hopefully.

Offline da man cave shack

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Drillin for a thrillin.
« Reply #6 on: Nov 19, 2011, 07:22 PM »
That is mother natures form of torture, knowing that you cant walk on it yet.

Offline nodak

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Nov 19, 2011, 07:30 PM »
After a number of hours of working on the basement and a trip to Totten trail for supper, I got the guts (beer) to walk out on the ice with my waders on.  I did not go past about three feet deep but it was solid ice I was on.  I have no doubt that Audubon has fishable ice by tomorrow (neg 5 right now).  I do not have my gear at the cabin so I will unfortunately watch the Vikings instead of ice fishing tomorrow........horrib le trade off.

Offline Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #8 on: Nov 19, 2011, 07:43 PM »
  I do not have my gear at the cabin so I will unfortunately watch the Vikings instead of ice fishing tomorrow........horrib le trade off.

You could watch the NASCAR race to find out who is going to be the 2011 champion.   ;)2
Me, I'll be recording it since I'll be out icefishing fer lakers!!!!    ;D

Offline bigbucky1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Nov 19, 2011, 08:06 PM »
drifter quit boasting bout it I got a month prob before I can fish though I did see ice about a half inch thick in a swamp today while deer huntin
<br />

Offline benellim1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Nov 19, 2011, 09:41 PM »
Started to snow with sleet today in Hastings MN suppose to warm up though for thanksgiving---trying to get duck hunting in, but we are close to getting caught in that limbo between duck hunting and freeze-up
Most major accidents begin with these three words: "Honey, watch this..."

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.