Author Topic: Panoptix LiveScope!!  (Read 3461 times)

Offline cardinalsfan

• IceShanty Rookie
Panoptix LiveScope!!
« on: Jun 11, 2018, 01:59 PM »
This thing looks amazing!  I wonder if it will eventually be good enough to pick up a small jig and be use-able on the ice?

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/591379

Offline 52isntbigenough

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Red Drum aren't Trout
Re: Panoptix LiveScope!!
« Reply #1 on: Jun 12, 2018, 10:39 AM »
I guess I'm glad I didn't buy a Panopitx last season. This looks flipping amazing.

Offline 52isntbigenough

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Red Drum aren't Trout
« Reply #2 on: Jun 12, 2018, 10:47 AM »
I was just on Garmin's website. Looks like this transducer alone is 1500.00. Which is 500.00 more than a standard Panoptix transducer. Also, they may have to find a way to engineer a portable unit for ice. It has a fairly large black box to it as well.

Offline cardinalsfan

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jun 16, 2018, 04:57 PM »
From the video it looks like it uses a trolling motor mount just like the PS22 transducer so using it for ice fishing would just be a matter of figuring out somewhere to put that black box......and of course upgrading to the Echomap Plus unit.  (I checked with Garmin, it's not compatible with the Echomap Chirp units unfortunately).

I'm curious to see whether or not it will pick up a small tungsten jig, this video looks like it's probably big saltwater fish and those small baitfish on the screen might be the size of a huge perch......

Offline hays47

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jun 17, 2018, 09:33 AM »
Actual box measurement 9.6 inches X 5.9 inches X 2.6 inches. This size should not be an impediment to anyone using on ice. What I don't get not many got excited when the old panoptix was released. After using both on ice and boat I am glad I did.

Presently have my Lund rigged with the PS 30 on transom and the PS 21 on Terrova with I-link. Hooked up via a GCV 10 box. The 1040 GPSMAPis a great fish finding setup.

My ice rig is a 92 Echomap with a PS 22. The PS 22 replaced the PS 21 I had been using the last few years. After testing on several  docks this spring. I can't wait for the ice this year.

Since the cost to upgrade to the new Live Panoptix would require replacement of both the echomap and gpsmap plus at least the PS21 and PS 30 on the boat setup. I calmed the upgrade fever by thinking a little bit. Why replace anything when I am 100% satisfied with present setup ?

Sure the resolution is great in comparison. But my main aim is to find fish not stare at pretty pix. The only advantage might be being able to identify species of fish. Right now it appears possible with the salt water. The videos were taken with larger salt water fish. I don't know for sure if resolution great enough to positively identify smaller fresh water fish.

So I will stay married to the old tech.
Echomap 94  Chirp with panoptix ps-22.
G.E.F.M

Offline HWeber

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jun 17, 2018, 01:09 PM »
I think the cost is keeping people from jumping on the original panoptics. Too spendy for most and the rest are too busy buying new electric crap to drill holes  ;) ;D

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.