Author Topic: Berkley NanoFil line strength test  (Read 5001 times)

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
Berkley NanoFil line strength test
« on: Jan 06, 2018, 08:15 PM »
Again just a reminder, I am not testing the actual line tensile strength.  I am testing for real world practical use with the knot I intend to use for fishing.

(copy paste)

I finally gave in and decided that Berkley NanoFil will be worth testing.  Well at least in the line strength testing for 6# package list at .13mm diameter.  To my first surprise was a very disappointing knot failure line break.  The knot slipped and the fibers burned itself into tension failure.  That was a result of a mere 5# 9 oz.  I concluded that I needed some more assuring knot buffer.  I tied my next knot over the remaining amount of knotted scraps. That worked and my next knot break held up to 8# 15 oz.  Then the other knot slipped.  I had to repeat the same knot buffer.  With both knots altered, I actually achieve a 10# knot break.

With the awesome strength result from 6# NanoFil, I decided that 4# NanoFil at packaged diameter listed .10 mm should be a good purchased to.  The strength test for real world use had a bit of insight as I was expecting knot slip as part of the factor.  So I took much more care in tying up this line.  To no avail my knot still slipped with such a thin line.

The first knot slip broke at a mere 3# 2 oz.  The second knot slip broke at 3# 14 oz.  The third attempt, my knots held up to 5# and it began to slipped.  The line pressure dropped back down to 3# some and with a little more tension knot broke at 3# 6 oz.  This makes for an average of 3# 8 oz.

At such a thin diameter, I expected the disparity in results.  Whats a great line in one diameter may be very disappointing in another diameter.  Well, moving onto different knot experimentation now and Spro #8 power swivel.

To continue with knot testing with the popular Palomar knot.
NanoFil 6# .13mm palomar knot fail 4# 14 oz.
NanoFil 4# .10mm palomar knot fail 2# 3 oz.

Onto the NanoFil knot.
NanoFil 6# .13mm Nano knot fail 7# 12 oz.
NanoFil 4# .10mm Nano knot fail 5# 9 oz.

I had up the line wraps on my knot from my old typical 4 wraps to 6 wraps now.  I got much better results, even though I used the same line that broke off from the Palomar knot and NanoFil knot.  The line was already showing stress rings from tension stress throughout the line already.  Running the line through my finger and thumb, I could feel the tension stress rings nicks.

NanoFil 6# .13mm knot break 9# 14 oz.
NanoFil 4# .10mm knot break 7# 5 oz.

I will also add that the NanoFil 4# easily is snipped.  In fact I really didn't have to, just ran the line across the edge of my scissor and it broke off cleanly.  The NanoFil 6# actually took a little effort.  The strength of the line itself is very strong.  The shortcoming is it breaks very easily from an edge.  That's a hint of low resistance in real world use.  I would much rather use the old discontinued Stren Microfused line at 2# test with better resistance to breakage from an edge.

A side note, it's weird that the line spooled on 4# is clockwise with label on front.  While the line spooled on 6# is counter-clockwise with label on front.  That's just confusing.

For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline tacklebox07

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Berkley NanoFil line strength test
« Reply #1 on: Jan 11, 2018, 12:32 PM »
slipperybob,  I have had the same problem with Nanofil, knots not working very well with either 4# or 6#. I have tried various knots including the knots you tried, finally gave on this line. I got some Sufix Nanobraid, totally different, so far so good using palomar and uni knots. Have you done any testing on this line.  thanks  dave

Offline logicallycompromised

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 11, 2018, 08:22 PM »
i use this stuff with both a double albright knot which is recommended on the spool to 6x trout hunter flourocarbon tippet.  i have no doubt the line is not losing much of its tensile strength.  i also tie the following knot to a 1mm tippet ring and there is little degradation here as well.  the knot appears to have several names, 16-20/pritzen/eugene bend knot, there are a couple example on youtube of people tying them with hemostats.  this is how i tie them.  i stummbled onto this knot about 5 years ago when i was looking for a stronger knot for connecting a small diameter line to a large diameter eye; e.g. 7x tippet to a sz10 hook.  this knot requires little dexterity and has an audible click you can often hear and feel as the knot slips over its self, there is no guessing.  if in rare instances it does not do that, start over.  what makes a knot break is it creates a stress concentration which reduces the cross sectional area of the line.  now we have the same force but being applied over a smaller area, increasing stress.  the polymer knot is either going to be ~90% or it will approach 50%.  it is tough to keep an eye on if the line crossed.  i am happy to never use it again.  i also use 16-20 for drop shot with a couple baits inline to keep them horizontal.  often with polymer it is a coin toss if you will get the hook point up like you want or not.  the 16-20 always maintains the hook riding up and horizontal ounce you spend time and understand its small nuances.

i have been fishing it on a spinning reel and do not like the spinning i am seeing so i ordered an inline reel to see how well it mitigates one of the few problems i have with the line.  its smoother, smaller surface, sheds water and does not freeze my smaller guides were as braid would do it with ease.

awesome line and happy i purchased some for cheap on amazon a couple weeks back.
do what they do, get what they get.
refinement reflects understanding...the more you know, they less you need.
science is love, science is life.
i enjoy fishing and happy to help others find similar or greater levels of joy and success; just need to reach out to me.
peace and long life!

https://www.instagram.com/logicallycompromised/

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #3 on: Jan 11, 2018, 08:31 PM »
slipperybob,  I have had the same problem with Nanofil, knots not working very well with either 4# or 6#. I have tried various knots including the knots you tried, finally gave on this line. I got some Sufix Nanobraid, totally different, so far so good using palomar and uni knots. Have you done any testing on this line.  thanks  dave

Sorry, I have not done any testing on Sufix Nanobraid.

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #4 on: Jan 11, 2018, 08:42 PM »
I'm one that happens to like Nanofil. Got a bulk spool of 6# and several fillers of 14#. As far as the 6# goes I have no complaints, 20+" whitefish and 25" walleye were no issue. I only use Palomar or Uni knots with any superline.

Regarding the "snippability" of the 4# I'd transfer that to any pound test of any superline regardless of manufacturer or pound test. Superline cuts very easily but has many other advantages, nature of the beast.

For pannies, bass, walleye no problem. For pike, pickerel or muskies you need steel or at least a high diameter fluorocarbon leader.

I like the diameter vs # test that superlines have to offer and if you stay within the parameters of use you'll be just fine.
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #5 on: Jan 12, 2018, 03:04 AM »
I'm one that happens to like Nanofil. Got a bulk spool of 6# and several fillers of 14#. As far as the 6# goes I have no complaints, 20+" whitefish and 25" walleye were no issue. I only use Palomar or Uni knots with any superline.

Regarding the "snippability" of the 4# I'd transfer that to any pound test of any superline regardless of manufacturer or pound test. Superline cuts very easily but has many other advantages, nature of the beast.

For pannies, bass, walleye no problem. For pike, pickerel or muskies you need steel or at least a high diameter fluorocarbon leader.

I like the diameter vs # test that superlines have to offer and if you stay within the parameters of use you'll be just fine.

Oh definitely agree on the advantage of line diameter strength of superlines as well as other benefits.  At around .10mm diameter 4# NanoFil is about equal to 1# to 2# in nylon lines.

Offline logicallycompromised

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 12, 2018, 09:52 AM »
a mistake i have made in the past is using some sort of ca glue to help hold the knot.  what has resulted is a similar disasters one would see from soldering electrical connections in an environment subjected to heavy vibrations/localized stresses, failure at the junction of the more rigid body and supple material.  the micro tippet ring has worked okay this far with preserving the tensile strength without slipping but even those tiny tippet rings show up on my sonar so it can create a little more noise some may not like.  you can dial this out by reducing the sonar gains or use the smaller, more streamline double albright and do not dress it with ca glue at least.  i left my tag ends just a blond one longer then i normally do when using an fg knot for most of my braid to flourocarbon connections.  i tried and fg knot and it was not holding well for me like it does for braid.  maybe other have had better success? but i do like the double albright for this application.
do what they do, get what they get.
refinement reflects understanding...the more you know, they less you need.
science is love, science is life.
i enjoy fishing and happy to help others find similar or greater levels of joy and success; just need to reach out to me.
peace and long life!

https://www.instagram.com/logicallycompromised/

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #7 on: Jan 12, 2018, 06:17 PM »
I see leader connections that are tied, crimped AND glued. all I can think is **censored**?

Learn how to tie a decent, correct knot for the material or apply a proper crimp and leave the glue for the preschoolers.

JMO. For superlines Palomar or Uni have been flawless regardless of the # test.

Offline Bucket Rump

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Jan 13, 2018, 07:46 AM »
Nanofil Knot, basically an enhanced Palomar knot.  Can't say I've seen any notable difference using this over the Palomar.  Uni knot with a skitch longer tag end has worked for me as well.  Great line to use for dropping down with minimal resistance on my President's and Freefall's - pricey stuff, though.  I load up with mono "backing" on the reels first, then run #6 Nanofil to a BB swivel to which I attach a floro leader.  Link to YouTube video on how to tie the Nanofil Knot:

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #9 on: Jan 13, 2018, 08:49 AM »
One of the things I see with that knot is the extra wrap will provide some additional cushion right at the connection. Lighter test lines will benefit from that most.

Offline buz23

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Feb 24, 2018, 09:04 PM »
I like nanofil for its strength but it is no good as an "outside" line.  When you try to clear the ice off the line it frays like crazy, and that kills the strength.

If I fished in a heated shelter this would be my line.  Outside, not so much.

Offline lunkerslayer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Mar 05, 2018, 01:36 PM »
I have been using 18# monotex line either with or without a floro leader. I am a big fan of the blood knot or uni knot with such a small diameter line 3 or 4 wraps is plenty to produce a strong knot, but the most important step to the knot is human saliva it's better then water.
I get frayed parts when out ice fishing usually it's where I run my fingers down to clean off the ice after awhile the line begins to fray, so I pull out my trusty knife  remove that part of the damaged  line,  blood or uni knot, saliva and trim the tags.
I trim my tags the sameway I trim my tags on guide wraps.
Saliva is a must never leave home without it
For the knot to tie on hooks, jigs, or fly it's the improved clinch knot with one extra step. I wrap the line around the hook twice before I use the improved clinch knot I have never lost a bait to this knot. I have had swivels break before the knot broke.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.