Ice Fishing Iowa board sponsored by

Author Topic: Drop shot set up for panfish  (Read 1818 times)

Offline Unclegillhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice So Nice
Drop shot set up for panfish
« on: Dec 13, 2018, 03:04 PM »
So got a freefall reel and it don’t drop the jigs fast at all! So going to go to a drop shot setup for more weight. Just wondering if any of y’all are using this technique?
Keep it safe! JDL

Offline matzilla

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Drop shot set up for panfish
« Reply #1 on: Dec 13, 2018, 03:40 PM »
i drop shot panfish in open water but not on the ice...what jigs are you trying to use that wont pull the free fall down? what type and lb test line?

Catchin' Fish

Offline Tuma

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 13, 2018, 03:59 PM »
The line you are using might be too heavy for the little jig.  I have a free fall with heaver line on it for light walleye and when I swapped that reel by mistake with the one on my pan fish rod it didn’t go down.  I saw what I did and flipped the reel around, the problem went away.  For pan fish you should be using 2 lb or 3 lb line.
TINY RODWORKS  custom rods and tackle

Offline yakker13

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Dec 13, 2018, 06:12 PM »
I just started using my Eagle Claw inline reel this year (after having it for 2 years) and it works fine, though it drops much slower (4mm Fiska) than a spinning reel. Still goes down plenty quick enough. 3lb test Suffix Ice line on it.

Offline Jrahn0822

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Dec 14, 2018, 07:29 AM »
I have a BlackBetty FreeFall and notice that it is slower if you have a heavy line and a light jig.  I will either put a drop shot on it, a little bigger jig (if thats an option), or I just turn up the drop speed (pretty sure your normal FreeFall doesn't have that).  Sometimes all you have to do is give it a little help and it will fall as well.

Offline Unclegillhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice So Nice
« Reply #5 on: Dec 14, 2018, 11:26 AM »
2lb suffix 1/32 oz jig. Drops fine on my bb-6061. Which is why I am going to set it up as a drop shot rod.
Keep it safe! JDL

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #6 on: Dec 14, 2018, 09:25 PM »
NO! you wont be able to see the mouthing and up bites. Drop shot is one of my favorite ways to fish open water bluegill in the summer, but I would not do it ice fishing unless maybe using a minnow or something that the fish would eat and really hold onto.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Dec 15, 2018, 05:19 AM »
Why not just pull the string off by hand?
Every plastics manufacturer claims plastics outfish livebait. So now I use livebait just for the increased challenge.

Offline Unclegillhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice So Nice
« Reply #8 on: Dec 15, 2018, 09:25 AM »
Why not just pull the string off by hand?
No reason except the whole idea behind the freefall was pull the trigger and let it FREEFALL! Main reason for the thread I saw a video a guy using some kind of perch lure on the bottom and then a jig up the line. Idea being jig on the bottom to draw them in if they don’t want it they may come up and take the upper bait. Understand may not be able to see an up bight. In the situation I am looking at I am looking at a more aggressive bight. If it don’t fly I will just go up in jig weight. Like from a 1/32 to a 1/16 or the next size up just want to use the reel like it was meant to be used.
Keep it safe! JDL

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Dec 15, 2018, 11:44 AM »
I thought the point of inline reels was to not have line twist like with spinning reels?
Every plastics manufacturer claims plastics outfish livebait. So now I use livebait just for the increased challenge.

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #10 on: Dec 15, 2018, 11:48 AM »
No reason except the whole idea behind the freefall was pull the trigger and let it FREEFALL! Main reason for the thread I saw a video a guy using some kind of perch lure on the bottom and then a jig up the line. Idea being jig on the bottom to draw them in if they don’t want it they may come up and take the upper bait. Understand may not be able to see an up bight. In the situation I am looking at I am looking at a more aggressive bight. If it don’t fly I will just go up in jig weight. Like from a 1/32 to a 1/16 or the next size up just want to use the reel like it was meant to be used.
Keep it safe! JDL

If you have good line, it should free fall with way less than a 1/32 jig head... Let alone 1/8 (next size up from 1/16). Are you using a quality ice line in 2-4lb? Sufix ice or trilene micro ice are the best imo.

You may have a bad reel
EYECONICFISHING

Offline Unclegillhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice So Nice
« Reply #11 on: Dec 19, 2018, 12:11 PM »
If you have good line, it should free fall with way less than a 1/32 jig head... Let alone 1/8 (next size up from 1/16). Are you using a quality ice line in 2-4lb? Sufix ice or trilene micro ice are the best imo.

You may have a bad reel
2# Sufix. And if I got a bad reel it will be the second time the first was a ghost. Use the micro ice on my bb-6061. Pretty disappointed!
Keep it safe! JDL

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.