The ice fishing Michigan board sponsored by:

Sponsor this board

Author Topic: fishing hubs  (Read 2397 times)

Offline pigmania

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
fishing hubs
« on: Nov 30, 2018, 04:57 PM »
I am thinking about getting a pop up hub for fishing this winter. was wanting input from owners of them what they thought the easiest put up and take down 4 man hub was.

Offline Pauly

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: fishing hubs
« Reply #1 on: Nov 30, 2018, 07:15 PM »
I like my Eskimo, but my buddies Clam goes up easier in the wind.
Otter, Clam, and Eskimo are all pretty good, just spend the extra few bucks and get an insulated one. My first one was not insulated and would ice up from the condensation. The difference between my new one and old was amazing, the kids definitely like the added warmth.
"Insert witty comment here"

Offline smeltbuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Dec 01, 2018, 10:44 PM »
I have a Clam "Jason Mitchell 5000, Thermal" & I love it !  Kind of heavy @ around 55 lbs., but lots of room. On a sunny day, you don't even need a heater. Lots of room & built very well. Whatever brand you decide to get , make sure you go w/ a Thermal model. Well worth the extra $$$. In the long run, you will save $$ on heating it, no condensation , & it does not ice up on the inside, when you knock it down. The extra weight is worth the benefits of a non thermal .
"Yes officer, my chocolate lab did shoot me,with my brothers 12 gauge"!  11-8-87,true story!          "Sorry were late mom,Chris & me just got done with a cow hunt,we each got a big black Angus with our muzzleloaders"!  (the Christmas eve cow hunt w/ my son; 2004 !

Offline BLUJBURD

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish...Fish...Fish
« Reply #3 on: Dec 02, 2018, 07:40 AM »
I own a 949i I've never put four men in it three is the magic number. I suppose it could be done back to back each man has a corner, but it would be snug.  Thermal is the name of the game, not necessary just like beer doesn't "have" to be cold to drink it, but it sure is better if it is.
I have a BS in Narrative Fishing History.

Offline Dinosaur1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 03, 2018, 10:13 AM »
If you're going to set up and stay in one place most of the day or not move too much they're nice. If you're going to run and gun not so much. In the wind they can be sketchy too. If you're taking kids to bobber watch they're great. More than one Vex in there tho and you're going to get some clutter on your screen. I have most every type of shelter and use them all at times. The only thing I can tell you for certain is don't buy a Clam Kenai.

Offline Fishingixxer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 03, 2018, 07:17 PM »
Anyone have any experience with the Shappell Wide house, specifically the 6500 insulated? I'm stuck between that and the Shappell DX4000. I've never owned a gun style before. I loved my DX3000. I'm just stuck, input please.

Offline strike1st

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Dec 04, 2018, 10:11 PM »
I own the non insulated 6500. Great shack....best doorsl design out there.

Wish they had the insulated when i bought mine. The anchors are meh. Get eskimo anchors.
"All men have fears, but the brave put down their fears and go forward, sometimes to death, but always to victory" motto of the King's Guard in ancient Greece.

Offline Fishingixxer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 05, 2018, 09:49 AM »
I own the non insulated 6500. Great shack....best doorsl design out there.

Wish they had the insulated when i bought mine. The anchors are meh. Get eskimo anchors.

Thank you for the insight. I'm going to order one soon. I will look into the eskimo anchors too. Good tip

Offline Jig_Pounder

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Dec 05, 2018, 01:17 PM »
I have a frabill 4 man. Nice hub for the price. Goes up easy enough. I would spend the extra money and get an insulated one. I wish I knew that before my purchase but still pleased with what I have for what I do with it.

Offline 3300

• Iceshanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #9 on: Dec 05, 2018, 02:41 PM »
i think they are all about the same putting up and taking down. they use the same design for the hubs.
i have the shappell wide house 6500 non insulated and wish it were insulated. it makes a lot of water inside while heating it and that makes a lot of frost after shutting off the heater. shappell did not offer it in insulated when i bought it so i bought a gander mountain 8x8 insulated hub. i like the doors much more on the shappell because they are a full C shaped design where as the others use a V shape and are easier to get caught up on. also the shappell has two doors. the C shape doors spans across the seam that all other doors stop at. take a look at the design when your shopping them.

i would recommend the shappell wh6500I. if you want bigger, look into the eskimo insulated 5 sided or dual hub.
personally, i much prefer a flip over design shelter and the hubs hardly get used.

Offline netminder34

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Dec 06, 2018, 08:29 AM »
Depending on how many people you are thinking you will normally have fishing with you I would mention this.  I picked up an Eskimo EVO2 last winter and do not use any of my other shanties anymore.  I have already sold my one man and have someone interested in my 3 man flip over clam so that will also be gone soon.  They are the best of both worlds in my opinion.  Flip over for ease and pop-out for the room.  I did fish 3 out of it once last winter, I wouldn't do it all the time but it wasn't crowded for 2 grown men and a teenager.  They are insulated over the tub the pop-out is not but very warm in sub zero temps with a buddy heater on low.  Made a few modifications for my fishing style, it is easy to pull and load in the truck by myself.  If I am by myself I will take the battery auger to save on some weight, if I have someone with its easy enough to have them pull a sled with all their extras and the gas auger if needed.  The specs say they are 90 lbs I think but they do not really handle like it, even with all my extra gear and pulling it through 6in of snow.  I do use a harness when I am pulling it to help distribute the load a little better than pulling a rope.

Offline WaterfowlNut!

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Dec 12, 2018, 10:25 AM »
If you dont move around much they are nice. I had a frabil bro series insulated pop up and it was nice just have and awkward to carry I didnt use it much before buying a flip over and I dont think I'd ever go back. The only advantage to a pop up is they are a little cheaper.
Tight lines everyone!

Offline ThreeDogsDown

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Dec 14, 2018, 11:15 AM »
I have to hope the flip overs are more durable/reliable than the hubs.  I am on my 2nd Eskimo 3i hub.  The poles will push thru the bottom sleeve and leave you with a $300 POS.  The hub style will make you good at sewing closed the holes in the sleeves. 

I will also offer up that if you have any back issues at all, a flipover offers a Chair with a back on it.  A hub does not, so you will be bucket sitting in a hub.  That will keep your days short. 

I will go with a flip over next. 

Offline 4x4Dad

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Dec 14, 2018, 11:44 AM »
I've got a Eskimo Quickfish 5i . Very easy set up and very warm with a buddy heater . About an 8 ft. circle and 7.5 of headroom . My daughter and I cut 3 holes , 2 director lawn chairs , 4 ft. folding camp table  , cooler and fishing box container . We could easily fit 2 more people .

Offline WestSideAl8x8

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Pants up, don't loot!
« Reply #14 on: Dec 21, 2018, 11:00 PM »
Anyone have any experience with the Shappell Wide house, specifically the 6500 insulated? I'm stuck between that and the Shappell DX4000. I've never owned a gun style before. I loved my DX3000. I'm just stuck, input please.

I have the DX4000 and love it. It is the perfect shanty for 2 guys. I have an Argo so if we want to move we leave all the gear in it and raise up one end and tie it off and can scoot across the lake no problem. I just bought a Bay Runner ll as I wanted something that would be easy to set up on solo trips. I have to say I really like the Bay Runner. I don't care much for the hub style shanties, I like to have an insulating layer between me and the ice.

Offline Doeslayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Dec 22, 2018, 05:33 AM »
I have the shappell dx3000 just a slightly smaller version of the 4000... I love it... Ive done 3 people in it but its crowded... The thing i like about it is if you get another shanty like it you can line em up long ways and bam... Bigger shanty lol
Catch and release, into the grease!
"gotta be somebody needs some killin" ~ Major Payne

Offline Fishingixxer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Dec 26, 2018, 09:07 PM »
All very good points. I had a shappell S3000 for years. I loved it! Mice finally did it in, and I replaced it with a frabill speed shack cub. The cub is bigger in side but it's cumbersome to set up and take down., it's a monster to pull in snow. It plows it. I had to fix all the floor hinges. I'm not impressed. I like the space the hub style offers but I like the the ease of the cabin style. I'm just stuck. LOL all things considered, this is not a real bad problem to have.

Offline netminder34

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Dec 27, 2018, 08:08 AM »
I like the space the hub style offers but I like the the ease of the cabin style. I'm just stuck. LOL all things considered, this is not a real bad problem to have.

Check out the Eskimo EVO 2, as mentioned before they are the best of both worlds.  I bought mine last season and don't use anything else now, I had 3 different shanties when I purchased the EVO 2.  They are designed well with weight on the back end when pulling to help lift the front to prevent plowing.  I am in my mid 50's and lift it in and out of my truck by myself, pull it easily with a harness when cant use the quad or sled.  Plenty of room to stand, turn around and move, with big doors on both sides for easy in and out.  Comfortable swivel seats, easy setup, and with a drill and adapter anchors go in and out easily for mobility, truthfully the anchors go in pretty easy without the drill just easier with.  I have fished 3 out of it but for two people there is lots of extra room and I usually fish 2 holes per person plus one or two for electronics.  I have repositioned the heater to the tub which still provides plenty of warmth and freed up a little room plus a few other mods like removing the small standard table and installed a clam console.  by your post it sounds like this is what you might be looking for.

Tried to add Pics but guess I couldn't figure that out.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.