The Ice Fishing MA is board

Author Topic: !!Quabbin Night Pass!!!  (Read 2348 times)

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
!!Quabbin Night Pass!!!
« on: Apr 02, 2018, 01:45 PM »
Found out recently that the 2018 Quabbin Night Pass has been suspended.

I called the Quabbin Visitor Center to find out more details. There is a meeting tonight to discuss the changes they plan to make. One of them is the removal of the night pass.. The reason for that is due to wanting to restrict the access at night. Which makes no sense.. You would think they would want more fisherman in there at night, at the very least you got people out there keeping an eye on things.. If someone wanted to do something nefarious, they arent going to apply for a night pass (i told the guy on the phone this as well).

They are planning for a huge crowd at the meeting tonight.
(413) 323-7221

If you fish the Q at all or ever plan to, i implore you to call the visitor center and express your concerns.
Official Member of The G.I.T.s, Gods In Training 1/2014
The fishing was good; it was the catching that was bad.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: !!Quabbin Night Pass!!!
« Reply #1 on: Apr 02, 2018, 01:55 PM »
Ah that's what I was worried about....

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #2 on: Apr 02, 2018, 01:59 PM »
Ah that's what I was worried about....

Boats will be next im sure.........

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #3 on: Apr 02, 2018, 04:28 PM »
Boats will be next im sure.........

Usually how it works. 

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #5 on: Apr 03, 2018, 07:33 AM »
That was a good read.  Nice that the senator is on the right side of the fence.  I'll be contacting her to say thanks.

Offline KillerFish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Apr 03, 2018, 04:35 PM »
My father was in the crowd. He says having the state senator there seemed to make a big difference in the attitude of the powers that be. And that, quite frankly, the crowd of outdoorsmen (and women) was intimidating. It could have gone much worse - so, we’ll see.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #7 on: Apr 03, 2018, 06:49 PM »
Tell your father I said thanks too.  I like to get involved with these types of things but couldn't find make it.  The senator seems to have the right idea.

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #8 on: Apr 04, 2018, 11:04 AM »
Found this on another Site.. Awesome info:

There's a Quabbin Fishing group on Facebook. Someone who was at the meeting said it went fairly well. Here are some bullet points he mentioned about the meeting.

The meeting went well and much respect to Commissioner Leo Roy for having open dialogue. His opening statement was that they are NOT going to restrict fishing or hunting access to the Quabbin.

As he stated, he wanted to hear from the folks who know better than anyone; those that are on the water daily. I was very happy to hear him say, that WE are the eyes and the best policing the Quabbin can have by being on the water and land.

He let us speak and was open to the idea that if we feel no changes needed to be made, then let it stay as it is. As one board member said "if it's not broke, then don't fix it." Applause followed that statement.

The Commissioner was very open that he was new to his position and wanted to learn and get some understanding/clarity of the verbiage that was in the current regulations in regard to the term "reservation" and "non reservation" land. He wanted to hear from the board members to gain that understanding.

Many thanks to the state legislators who attended and had the best interest of the anglers and hunters at the forefront. One even saying "The only way they'll close Quabbin is over my dead body."

Night fishing access was brought up. Currently that info which was removed from the DCR website, which gave the info/instructions on how to get that access, is going to be put back up for those that want to exercise that right to fish at night. They also wanted to gather some information from the state police to get an idea of how many folks in a season utilize that privilege.

The one day fishing license was also brought up and during the discussion, many board members and those in attendance, stated that they were highly in favor of keeping that, as many had relatives and friends who visit yearly and they take them out on the Quabbin for a day of fishing. Commissioner Roy, after hearing from folks, seemed to have gained an understanding as to why that should stay.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #9 on: Apr 04, 2018, 11:55 AM »
Excellent post thank you for sharing.

Offline Tmuskie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Jun 10, 2018, 05:20 PM »
Night access is still allowed. I already received my packet.
There's a hole in the Ice,  Dear Liza, Dear Liza.
There's a hole in the ice, Dear Liza, a hole.

Well fish it, Dear Henry, Dear Henry, Dear Henry
Well fish it Dear Henry. Dear Henry, Fish it.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.