The ice fishing VT boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: I see the fat lady....  (Read 1619 times)

Offline Hideebeez

• Team IceShanty Regular
I see the fat lady....
« on: Feb 19, 2018, 07:19 PM »
Was hoping Thursday was the start of more cold weather to firm up this ice but next week looks to be 40s and up.... lows are barely below freezing.  Just when it was getting good too.... thoughts?

Offline mdougla1

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: I see the fat lady....
« Reply #1 on: Feb 19, 2018, 09:16 PM »
First day I got out this year was 12-15-17. My freezer is stacked. 

It’s been the best ice winter we’ve had in several years

Bring on the green grass. 
I'm not saying they're biting on Brant.  But they probably are

Offline Hideebeez

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 20, 2018, 04:07 AM »

Bring on the green grass.

I think most would say the season was tough fishing wise. Now if your just meat hunting sure there's always fish. But the guys looking for consistency said its been tough especially on champlain .  i fished well this winter too but will say the weather being a yoyo. Makes the fishing inconsistant

Offline Champlain Islander

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Feb 20, 2018, 05:32 AM »
I thought the perch bite was off but since I switched over to flat fish it is about normal. Normally I don't make the flat fish switch until March but did it earlier because the perch bite wasn't that good. My favorite fishing is certainly big seeds and crappie through the ice.
Taught ice fishing for pan fish by one of the best...Art Rye may he RIP

Offline BomoBrown

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 20, 2018, 06:21 AM »
So how fast do you think it will go from safe to not.  I am feeling good about this coming weekend, but I have friends asking if they should drive up in March and that does not feel so good.

As for how the season went:  it was good brown trout fishing and before trout season (that is just my luck), excellent perch my freezer is full, and okay pike & smelt.

Offline Fish Farmer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Feb 20, 2018, 06:39 AM »
So how fast do you think it will go from safe to not.  I am feeling good about this coming weekend, but I have friends asking if they should drive up in March and that does not feel so good.

As for how the season went:  it was good brown trout fishing and before trout season (that is just my luck), excellent perch my freezer is full, and okay pike & smelt.

I bet this weekend would be ok depending on where you go, but I would bring a spud. I was on Fern Lake the other day with 12+ inches of ice, but did see some old holes that had opened up and refroze that had me concerned and I've fished Fern into late March before.

If we don't get sunny days that will keep the ice around a little longer, but we are moving into sugaring season. What you see is what you got, we won't be making any more ice, just stiffening up the day's melt at best.

Offline EyERipLip

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Above the Ice, under the influence
« Reply #6 on: Feb 20, 2018, 07:36 AM »
I think we’re lucky most places have a good ammount of ice. However the warm and rain mixed can do a lot in a short period of time. I don’t think it will end the season right off but should def have people reconsidering what they drive on the lake and watching out for old washed out holes and shore lines. Everyone be safe and good luck. Will report anything out of the ordinary I see but I’ll b forcing myself to work at least till the weekend. Got of luck.

Offline smelllikefish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Feb 20, 2018, 07:54 AM »

X2 but I wouldn't say best "ice" winter but best and most consistent bite for sure. I still want more.

Offline peteinvermont

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Feb 20, 2018, 08:09 AM »
There was around 20" where I fished on St. Catherine this weekend - so that won't be going anywhere - but I bet this weekend results in a lot of people with water in their boots going from shore to the thick ice.

Offline schmidtxc

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Feb 20, 2018, 10:37 AM »
Given how notoriously awful the long range forecast here is, it's not hard to imagine we wind up with colder temps again real soon.

Offline lingcod

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Feb 20, 2018, 10:41 AM »
A similar situation ocurred last season - a prolonged late winter thaw. But it got colder and the ice locked back up. Let’s hope for a repeat!

Offline Laketrout86

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Feb 20, 2018, 11:18 AM »
Guys saying it was a bad year so far, need to change and adapt, obviously you said methods aren't working you need to change something in order to be successful

Offline putback

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Feb 20, 2018, 12:28 PM »
LT86 got it right. Trout, Eyes even perch a bit off compared to the last few years. Early January started working them like I would 3 or 4 weeks later in the season, paying off. Odd, their spawn sacs seem right but their activity seems ahead. Have'nt figured out why but results are what they are.

Offline bootstrap

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Feb 20, 2018, 02:24 PM »
this run off should kick them into spawn mode and really start to stack up and come back shallow.

Offline sonny88

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Feb 20, 2018, 04:41 PM »
I drove through the champlain islands today and there were trucks out on the ice. I'm not saying i'd drive out there but there is still plenty of ice and a few days of warm weather won't change that enough to make it unsafe to walk on.

Offline WVBoy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "I am haunted by water." - Norman Maclean -
« Reply #15 on: Feb 21, 2018, 12:19 AM »
Was out today on Miss bay. Still over 18in of ice with about 2in of water on top and water going down the holes. Saw alot of old holes opening up and trucks driving around looking like they were lost in the fog. The bite was def slow but managed 1 pike on the tip-up and a LM on a bibbit. Hoping the ice holds fast for the next few days though! Cold temps in the next week..
"Men and fish are alike. They both get into trouble when they open their mouths." - Jimmy D Moore

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.