Author Topic: A few questions for the cascade lake area.  (Read 4517 times)

Offline Crazy4moosehunting

• IceShanty Rookie
A few questions for the cascade lake area.
« on: Oct 20, 2017, 11:21 AM »
Hey guys, looking at booking a trip to cascade feb 14-19. Going back in some of the old posts, looks like that's either the time for sleds or quads. Have both, will be calling couple days before for conditions. We're looking at booking a cabin. Which side of the lake would you recommend ? Would like to sled or quad from cabin to lake if that's possible. Is there anything else you'd suggust or recommend ? Trying to do my homework early as it's a 17 hr drive for us and would like as few surprises as possible

Thanks ???

Offline idaho-grizz

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: A few questions for the cascade lake area.
« Reply #1 on: Oct 20, 2017, 04:12 PM »
I don't ice fish much but do fish it a lot from my boat. It's a long run from Cascade to the top of the reservoir in a boat, so I.would say bring your sled. This is the first year i am really going to get into the ice fishinng so cant help you a lot there but i do know the main areas that they fish  in winter. Their are some really good fishermen on here that I hope speak up. Also check with Idaho fish and game, they run a kids thing up there each year so they should have a name of someone that can help you out Good luck Rick 

Offline GrimReaper

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Oct 27, 2017, 12:46 PM »
Sled is better bet, sometimes there is deep slush and/or snow making getting around on wheeled vehicles impossible or at least difficult.  However if you post here just before your trip or call Tackle Tom in Cascade  you can get latest conditions if you really prefer the ATV.

It might be difficult finding cabin that is close enough to just snowmobile or ATV to the ice, but with some work you may find one.  I don't think east or west side matters for lodging and distance to fishing areas.

The weather during your planned trip is usually pretty decent as far as the whole season goes, but heavy fog and of course snow storms are always possible so I recommend bringing at least hand held GPS or GPS app on your phone in case you get stuck out on ice in white out conditions, its big lake and easy to get lost in low visibility.

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Nov 06, 2017, 09:09 PM »
Hey guys. Thanks for the help. Looking at booking a cabin very close to the lake. Can you tell me if a person drove the sled or quad from the cabin to the lake if that's or frowned  upon ? Up in Alberta it's not a problem as long as your not being a jackass. Would be  more convenient to just travel from the cabin instead of loading up to drive a block or two then unload again

Offline idaho-grizz

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Nov 06, 2017, 09:59 PM »
Give Tackle Tom's a call. Local tackle shop, he will be able to answer your question, also other great info Look up number on Facebook

Offline 405g

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Nov 07, 2017, 09:47 PM »
You can drive your sleds down to the lake from cabins. People do it all the time. No problem as long as you are accessing public ground.There is a little bit of private land around the lake. The boat ramps are good for access too.

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Nov 18, 2017, 09:21 PM »
  ;D Thanks for the help guys. Cabin is booked, now the countdown begins!!! 

Offline Hamstn

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Nov 20, 2017, 01:53 PM »
Hey guys. Thanks for the help. Looking at booking a cabin very close to the lake. Can you tell me if a person drove the sled or quad from the cabin to the lake if that's or frowned  upon ? Up in Alberta it's not a problem as long as your not being a jackass. Would be  more convenient to just travel from the cabin instead of loading up to drive a block or two then unload again

Under Idaho law you can drive UTV on public roads with certain restrictions. The road through Cascade is a state or numbered  highway so as long as you stay in area posted below 45mph your ok. Once speed limit is 55 you are not legal. Must have current plate and sticker...and insurance but never checked. by quad you probable mean ATV and sorry this does not help.

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Nov 21, 2017, 10:01 PM »
Hey, thats a cool law. I have a utv but not planning on hauling it that far. I heard that snowmobiles and atvs need a permit. Is this right? Dont mind getting one if i need one. Just havent heard a positive yes or no. So i guess, to the guys that use a sled or atv for transportation ice fishing, do you require a permit?

Offline happyheber

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • Tie on a Maniac the fish'll go crazy!!!
« Reply #9 on: Nov 21, 2017, 10:11 PM »
Hey, thats a cool law. I have a utv but not planning on hauling it that far. I heard that snowmobiles and atvs need a permit. Is this right? Dont mind getting one if i need one. Just havent heard a positive yes or no. So i guess, to the guys that use a sled or atv for transportation ice fishing, do you require a permit?
yes for sleds no for atv  ;D

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Nov 22, 2017, 07:57 PM »
Thanks for clearing it up for me 👍🏻

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Wishin I was Fishin><{}:>
« Reply #11 on: Dec 08, 2017, 11:23 AM »
Can anyone tell me when it usually caps? approximately? Temps have been pretty low for the last little while
     Wyoming & Idaho    

Offline curt69

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Dec 13, 2017, 12:47 AM »
There is safe ice now in a couple of spots . Check out Tackle Toms web page for more information.
Catch'em and Eat'em

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #13 on: Dec 13, 2017, 07:38 AM »
Thanks curt
     Wyoming & Idaho    

Offline Northern Fisherman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Dec 13, 2017, 11:57 AM »
yes for sleds no for atv  ;D

can you purchase the permits for the snowmobiles from somewhere in Cascade?

Offline ID_IceRookie

• IceShanty Rookie

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #17 on: Dec 13, 2017, 02:07 PM »
can you purchase the permits for the snowmobiles from somewhere in Cascade?

Called tackle toms and you can get them from the county building in town but their hours are not the best for weekend fisherman. He also said that one of the rental shops in town may have them too but did not know which one
     Wyoming & Idaho    

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Dec 13, 2017, 06:21 PM »
https://idpr.idaho.gov/Renewal/

To me it looks like you only need a snowmobile permit if going on groomed trails. Is this correct.

Offline curt69

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Dec 13, 2017, 09:33 PM »
No , you need one if you are using it anywhere in the state .
Catch'em and Eat'em

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Dec 14, 2017, 07:39 AM »
Thanks

Offline OldSchoolHooker

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Dec 15, 2017, 05:49 AM »
I have a place directly on the lake, with access (< 200 yards) to the ice, just south of sugarloaf in an area called vista point.  I'm considering renting it but haven't put it on  AirBnb yet.  PM me if you're interested.

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #22 on: Dec 15, 2017, 06:25 AM »
Wish your would have posted that earlier in the year my group would have definately like to be closer to sugar loaf but settled for poison creek. I rented a house off of vrbo. So that's also another option for you renting wise. I'll definately hit you up next trip.  Thanks for the offer
     Wyoming & Idaho    

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Dec 15, 2017, 08:00 AM »
Wish your would have posted that earlier in the year my group would have definately like to be closer to sugar loaf but settled for poison creek. I rented a house off of vrbo. So that's also another option for you renting wise. I'll definately hit you up next trip.  Thanks for the offer

same here

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.