Author Topic: My first fish house build. 6x8 house on skids.  (Read 30784 times)

Offline jpohlic

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: My first fish house build. 6x8 house on skids.
« Reply #30 on: Nov 23, 2017, 09:54 AM »
Is there a consensus as to how best to build a lightweight bunk that doesn't weigh a lot, but also is going to support, let's say 200#'s? I'd like to make one above the table, but Id like it to maybe hang against the ceiling when not in use, or possibly fold up.

I'm open to suggestions- Thanks!

I was thinking of something like this for my shack. Throw a thermarest or foamie on top and it should be pretty comfortable without weighing a lot.

The more I fish, the less I know about fishing...
Send me a PM if you'd like info about how I built my ice shack

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #31 on: Nov 23, 2017, 09:57 AM »
Why don't you get catch cover holes for the shack?

Offline Spud_bar

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Poppin' Swedish Pimples since '96
« Reply #32 on: Nov 23, 2017, 10:40 AM »
I decided the catch covers weren't included in the initial budget. I made some lids that only sit 1/2" proud of the floor. I can always add the covers later if I decide.
All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy.

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #33 on: Nov 23, 2017, 11:25 AM »
Looking nice and comfy!  :thumbsup:
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #34 on: Nov 23, 2017, 03:13 PM »
I decided the catch covers weren't included in the initial budget. I made some lids that only sit 1/2" proud of the floor. I can always add the covers later if I decide.

I got ya...do the initial stuff then slowly upgrade a bit here and there. Looks like a great start. For the bed, I think there is a website that sells ice house tuff. They would have the flip down/flip up rack for a bed made of steel. I would think it would work great for you.

Offline aquarium234

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #35 on: Nov 23, 2017, 04:16 PM »
Dont forget about fold up cots thats what i use 30 bucks from wallmart add a pad. Light and can be folded up when not in use
Its all fun and games until someone loses a walleye.......

Offline Spud_bar

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #36 on: Nov 26, 2017, 03:35 PM »
Another update. After the long weekend, I was able to make some good progress.  I Fastened down the corner seats/storage boxes. I've added electrical for:
1- ceiling lights. Switch by the door, and dimmer switch on the side of the seat box. I've got some temporary led strip lights to test currently, but I 'll be adding some more finished lights after I get the ceiling up and the led strip fixtures/covers.
2- Hole lights. I'll have a dimmer for these as well, in addition to a switch for a light by each hole.
3- Fans. I'm adding 2 120mm computer case style fans to help recirculate air
4- AC inverter with 2 outlets. I wanted an option to plug in small electronics or stuff that doesn't draw much juice so I just put in a 400W inverter. I also opted for an outlet with a couple built in USB ports right above table height, so cell phones can be plugged in and left on the table. Another outlet is higher to accommodate the area which will likely be above the top bunk (to be added later). I can use these outlets to run my CO detector. (though it has a battery backup as well, so I wouldn't necessarily need them, but I like the redundancy.
5-. All positive DC stuff is run through a fuse block, and negative is on a grounding strip. I'm not electrician, but it's a simple setup that seems to make sense to me so far.

After running the wires for all the electrical stuff I've started putting up some 1/4" lauan panel I got for 10 bucks a sheet from menards. I also used the excuse to purchase a cordless crown stapler that worked beautifully on the panel. After all the panel is up I'll probably put up a little trim to clean up  seams and corners, but so far I'm happy with the results.

One trick I figured out and used to cut the holes for windows and outlet boxes worked really well. I used some 1" roofing nails (the ones with the large heads) and hot glued the heads to the outside corners of the windows and utility boxes with the points out. Then I held the panel (pre cut to fit the wall), and pushed it in place. After pulling the panel back down, the nails left small holes in the panel board giving me dots to connect to figure out where the openings needed to be.

The paneling makes things look much more finished and clean. I'm loving how it's coming together so far.

The Fuse and grounding blocks:

Ceiling and hole light dimmers

Battery and Inverter. (Cable management will be addressed later)

Spray foam filled excessive gaps in the foam.

Paneling:

Offline OldSailor

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Take a kid fishing! Pay it forward!!
« Reply #37 on: Nov 26, 2017, 03:43 PM »
Coming along nicely! You should put protective plates over where your wires go through the studs so you don't put a screw or nail through any wires!  Just a thought; been there, done that!! ;)
My two favorite college football teams are Ohio State and whoever's playing Michigan!!!

Don't reel against the drag!!!

Ex Minnesnowta lad! You can take the lad out of Minnesnowta, but you can't take Minnesnowta out of the lad!!

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #38 on: Nov 26, 2017, 04:33 PM »
Looking good keep pics coming

Offline tbern

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #39 on: Nov 26, 2017, 04:37 PM »
Does look good , enjoying the progression.

Offline old truck guy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #40 on: Nov 26, 2017, 08:16 PM »
Very impressed with your build. enjoying watching the progress.  @)

Offline Spud_bar

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #41 on: Dec 04, 2017, 03:17 PM »
After one last scramble before real winter weather hits, I used the 50 degree days last weekend to get paneling cut and mounted, along with lights, and a couple fans.

Both Fans run off one switch, but each mounting bracket I made has it's own switch to allow each to be shut off independantly. The mounting bracket uses a friction cabinet hinge mounted with 1 screw. This allows them to pan and tilt. I'm very happy with the relatively simple, but clean fan mounting brackets.

Next post will likely include trim and possilby heater installation.

Thanks again for the kind words and advice!

Offline Spud_bar

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #42 on: Jan 11, 2018, 10:07 AM »
Well it's been a bit since my last updates, but I'm going to call my prior work, at least to this point a success. Last weekend I and a nephew spent the night on the lake in relative comfort and had a bucket with a bunch of walleyes as a result.

I ended up getting a direct vent heater, so I could rest at ease, not worrying about CO issues. It works well, aside from the fact, that my thermostat was hooked up wrong last weekend (user error), but I just left the heater on all night with the windows cracked as needed. Temps were -10 to -15 with winds ripping around 20-25mph. It was a COLD night, but we were comfortable.

I added a bunk above the table that is strong enough to support me. (not a small human @ 250#'s).

My trailer has a 3 ton winch on the front, which worked great to pull the house back on the trailer when we were done. To unload the house, I simply lowered the ramp on the trailer, Drilled a hole inthe ice behind it, then used an 18" long 4x4 post I rigged up prior, with an eye bolt through the middle with a chain. Shoved the 4x4 down the hole, and used it like a toggle style wall anchor, and chained my house to it. Then slowly pull my truck ahead and the trailer pulled out from under the house. It really worked slick. I'm currently working on adding some more amenities inside, but it's very usable as is.

My rattle reels worked great... mostly. Turns out my nephew is a hard sleeper. I had to man the lines over night.

Icing on the cake- we actually caught a few fish

Offline SlimeTrout

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #43 on: Jan 11, 2018, 10:28 AM »
Nice set up, and nice eyes. I am jealous!

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
« Reply #44 on: Jan 11, 2018, 10:46 AM »
Thank you for posting photos of shanty's maiden trip. congratulations to you and youe nephew on the walleyes.
Steve

Offline Ice Surveyor

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fishing is Life.
« Reply #45 on: Jan 11, 2018, 11:24 AM »
Good work on your shanty.  I think you could build a slot on the wall side of your bunk, about 6 inches deep, to get the bunk up and out of the way completely.  This would be near the ceiling.  Lift the bunk up, insert it into the slot, and then use hooks like you are currently to hold up the other side.   If this makes any sense? 

Offline Spud_bar

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #46 on: Jan 11, 2018, 02:00 PM »
I think I know what you mean- I was considering this as an idea. I will update with photos if I go that route. I did add a couple french cleats along each side wall to hang a table and a paper towel holder. I'll try to get some more photos when I get a chance.

Thanks all for the complements and suggestions!

Offline metalbender

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #47 on: Jan 11, 2018, 06:09 PM »
Great looking build. Have you weighed it yet? I'm currently building a light weight shanty, my Subaru isn't rated to pull much.

Offline Spud_bar

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #48 on: Jan 11, 2018, 06:10 PM »
No, not yet.

Offline beerduck

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • beer and fish nut
« Reply #49 on: Jan 11, 2018, 06:28 PM »
love it  and is that what I call goulosh in that bowl

Offline Spud_bar

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #50 on: Jan 11, 2018, 06:29 PM »
No, that's what happens when the kids nephew picks lunch... Chilli Mac... Interesting.

Offline P Meyette

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #51 on: Jan 11, 2018, 06:43 PM »
nice looking keep up the good work

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.