Author Topic: over thinking tip ups rigs?  (Read 4756 times)

Offline Martian

• Team IceShanty Addict
over thinking tip ups rigs?
« on: Jan 29, 2014, 01:51 PM »
 we went out with a party of 5 to just tip up fish, and had a good deal of flags, with a wide array of rigs. I was using 20 lb floro with beads a spinner, and circle hooks. some guys had quick strikes, steel leader, or single treble hook set ups. The guy , who out fished us all had me look at his set up. He had his tip up line , tied to a barrel snap, with a treble hook on the snap. No leader!! It still makes no sense to me, and I will go on with my floro leaders, but it begs you to think if fisherman don't give their species just a little too much credit. or it give us something to argue about. good luck guys

Offline thomasthepikehunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: over thinking tip ups rigs?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 29, 2014, 02:35 PM »
Some days, anything can work. Others, nothing will work. In terms of pike fishing, I don't think too many over think it. Most just tie a store bought steel leader and clip a big hook on the end and call it good. The real secret is that it has to work for you. I really cant tell you why. Some people can put a tiny single hook in a 12" bait and still hook fish fine. For reasons I don't know, I can't. I've had nothing but better and better luck as I go with quick strikes. As far as fluorocarbon, it seems to be overrated. Fish are not nearly as line shy as most will have you believe, mainly walleye fisherman. I've caught just as many walleye with a steel leader as I have pike. A fish has the brain the size of a peanut. Pike are not stupid, savage killers that hit anything, and walleye are not super skittish fish that wont touch anything that doesn't look right. Fish species are really not that different from each other.
-Tom

Offline Martian

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Jan 29, 2014, 04:35 PM »
 yeah, I agree, I went to floro last year, and this year lost a nice pike at the hole, cause he rolled in it, and I think gill, or fin cut the leader. Anyhow, guess what I thought of first. my thought was I lost the fish because of the floro, not the other way around. I still love to read posts and hopefully stack the percentage points a little more in my favor. Good luck to you this season, and be safe out there

Offline JoeBastow

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 29, 2014, 04:46 PM »
I have been over thinking my set ups lately as well.  Usually I just slap a steel leader and a circle hook on but i feel i don't get as many hook ups as I should, I think my next trip out will be with quick strikes.

Offline Johnny3Walleye

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 30, 2014, 06:09 AM »
anyone have a picture of quick strikes?  Not sure what that is.
Thanks
J3W

Offline Invader440

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 30, 2014, 09:57 AM »

Offline panfisher1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 30, 2014, 10:31 AM »
I make my own quick strike type setup. I use 40# mono "cheap stuff from store". Make about a 1-2 foot leader, make all leaders the same length. I tie a loop in one end and a hook on the other. Clip 2 leaders on a swivel and away you go. I have doubled or tripled my hook up average doing this.

Offline pfscott

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Jan 30, 2014, 11:53 AM »
A guy I used to fish with had his tip ups set up with a #6 treble hook tied directly to the black line. Never used a leader, and caught walleye and northern both on the same rig.

Offline Nightbird

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 30, 2014, 05:29 PM »
Nothing the matter with simple, but I think that many of us enjoy the hunt for the perfect and never-failing rig as much as we do actually fishing. Me, anyway. Fishing stores, like many other businesses, operate by selling hope, packaged as gear. In my realistic mind, I know that I could likely do just as well with a piece of line attached to a stick, and a hook and bait.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Jan 30, 2014, 07:14 PM »
Nothing like a gigantic fish that broke off haunting your dreams. You can go years, but the first big fish is the one that breaks off.
-Tom

Offline kabswrangler

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 31, 2014, 03:14 PM »
A guy I used to fish with had his tip ups set up with a #6 treble hook tied directly to the black line. Never used a leader, and caught walleye and northern both on the same rig.
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                      That's what I had always used and always did really good! This year I started using a barrel swivel tied to my black line. Then ten pound mono with a #6 hook about a foot down, then a jig another foot or foot and a half down from that. The weight of the jig helps everything go down "in order". Tip both with minnows! Other than my flags not always tripping :%$#!:, I usually do pretty good with this set up. I only switched to this method to make it easier to use multiple hooks. Other than that reason, I would personally just stick with the black line. I've caught tons of fish like that :tipup:!!!

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
« Reply #11 on: Jan 31, 2014, 03:26 PM »
The one thing that i've found adds strikes on tipups (the few times I use them each year) is the addition of a small colored bead sliding on the line just above the hook.   I've watched this on the aquaview, and as the minnow kicks, it pops the bead up the line an inch, and it then slides back down...adding a little action...

Offline UFCreel

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Jan 31, 2014, 03:42 PM »
I use 30lb tip up line with a 1/4oz barrel weight. Attached to a barrel swivel with bead above the swivel. On that I attach 30lb power pro green line. Then goes a small blade and three beads. Then a small treble hook. Catch plenty of bass, walleye and big and small pike. I have never had a break off.
Flags up! Bobbers down!

Offline Martian

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Feb 02, 2014, 09:07 AM »
what i usually use is 20# floro a circle hook, (from the hook up), then a bobber stop, ( string only), a spinner with a clevis and 3 beads on top. the bobber stop is to keep the spinner from siting right on the baits back, and maybe hindering movement. I enjoy hearing of all your rigs. Our friend , who does very well is all about less. He uses floro, with a circle hook for the natural look

Offline steelheader32

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Feb 03, 2014, 09:12 AM »
Is a sinker or weight needed on a rig? I always take my 2 frabil thermals with me and set them out while pan fishing. I have a steel leader on one and flouro on the other with small weights above the leader

Offline olds-Pa

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #15 on: Feb 03, 2014, 02:01 PM »
I'm not saying what I do is for everyone. Like said previously, you have to go with what works for you. I just found over the years, the lighter you can go makes a big difference. As far as wire goes, i'd rather go with mono and get more bites. Play the fish carefully, and you won't get bit off much. Here is the way I set up...17# mono...#4 or 5 saltwater swivel for weight...(that's enough to keep a 4 to 5" shiner down) ...and a # 2 or 4 Eagle Claw snelled hook right out of the pack attached to the swivel. It is a light set up and the fish rarely drop it because of feeling the weight That's what works for me. 

Offline Carl.j.o

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Feb 06, 2014, 08:04 PM »
im always optimistic when it comes to fishing with tip ups and i prepared for the fish of a lifetime. i use tie-able stainless leader material to eliminate the bite off completely. and plus i dont want to completely baby a big fish in on mono or carbon.
fortunately for me it has paid off a few years ago . not saying i would not have caught that fish with mono or carbon but just one less thing i have to worry about.
also just about every video i see of people tip up fishing for big pike specifically on some of the best pike waters in the country are running big gaudy hooks and thick steel leaders or stainless leader material.
i get the line visibility deal and natural look deal and the more flags deal but it can be cut much easier than anything steel . not saying anyone one is getting bit off as lots say they rarely do but put a razor blade to 30# fluorocarbon and then to anything steel .

FLAG!!!

Offline Johnsonarcher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Feb 13, 2014, 01:14 PM »
I like the look of these loop rigs.  I thought about making some simple ones without all the beads and spinners.  I like the idea that the loop can keep everything more level.

http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=281371.msg2915691#msg2915691

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Feb 13, 2014, 02:28 PM »
I've seen those loop rigs, bigtooth tackle came up with them, called the zero rig I think. It said the idea was to allow baits of different sizes, but I can't see how its any different from a regular quick strike. One thing I don't like is if the line gets cut, both trebles are coming off. With a regular quick strike, I have had my fluorocarbon bitten off, and the other treble still held on.
-Tom

Offline Johnsonarcher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Feb 13, 2014, 02:33 PM »
I've seen those loop rigs, bigtooth tackle came up with them, called the zero rig I think. It said the idea was to allow baits of different sizes, but I can't see how its any different from a regular quick strike. One thing I don't like is if the line gets cut, both trebles are coming off. With a regular quick strike, I have had my fluorocarbon bitten off, and the other treble still held on.

Thats true, I didn't really think of that.

Offline bassandbucks1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Feb 17, 2014, 08:39 PM »
Many, many years ago I was fishing a place for pike , but there was also a chance of getting a nice brown trout there. I had one of my tip-up out with a 8# six foot mono leader and a #6 snell hook for trout. The rest were Dacron to the hook. I ended up getting a 11 and 16# pike that day on the trout rig. From then on I always used a mono (latter a flouro) leader from my Dacron to my hook as that's what I had confidence in. But  I know people who catch a bunch of pike with straight Dacron right to the hook. Like mentioned below confidence is a  big part of it, and fishing is one of those things we often make way more complicated then we need too. But, I find making things complicated way more fun.

Offline Martian

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Mar 02, 2014, 09:25 AM »
yep^ It may be just me. I have made some rigs with beads, and spinner.  I have read, that as a baitfish moves, the beads pop up and down, so if the spinner is above the beads, do they stop this action? or can they even see the bead, as the spinner covers them on at least one side. so , I started to tie with a circle hook then a bobber stop,  spinner, beads, in that order, with the bobber stop used to push the spinner a little bit above the bait, thinking maybe the spinner wears the bait down if it is resting on him, but if it is too high, maybe you will get hits above the bait, plus you already have flash from the bait, so I think I like the spinner about an in-2 above the dorsal. Like I said , I may be over thinking them. on deadbait rigs, leader , hook, no bling

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Mar 03, 2014, 02:36 PM »
When you're concerned your spinner will get hit, you're over thinking it. ;D
-Tom

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.