New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: ICEFISHING, FRIENDS AND MORE!  (Read 246132 times)

Offline reeleyz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: ICEFISHING, FRIENDS AND MORE!
« Reply #1560 on: Mar 04, 2018, 07:23 AM »
Neat pics choo choo. They are fun to watch.

Offline New Old Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #1561 on: Mar 04, 2018, 09:46 AM »
Yo Fred,

looks like you got your self a wrestler bud. My son is the Varsity coach. He is keenly interested in Bryce's development. You got to feed him some raw liver. Toughen him up for them third period wins. Future state champ eh?  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Boggey
Start each day with the exuberance of a 10 year old . Do not allow those around you to diminish that exuberance.

Offline New Old Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #1562 on: Mar 04, 2018, 09:50 AM »
Yo Choo Choo,

Great pictures. They are so much fun to watch. We used to have a camp up in St. Regis. That was one of our favorite pastimes sitting on the bank of the river and watching the cavorting of the river otters across the way. The other was going to the dump and watching the bears. Oh yeh! we did go fishing too.
Start each day with the exuberance of a 10 year old . Do not allow those around you to diminish that exuberance.

Offline eyehi

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #1563 on: Mar 04, 2018, 10:22 AM »
Nice pictures choo choo .... Saw the same thing on the ice here yesterday in st Lawrence county ...
Budweiser pro staff

Offline Tank

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1564 on: Mar 04, 2018, 10:54 AM »
Choo Choo we are coming  down your way this week end. If you can give me a ice report any where in that area so we know wheather to bring our gear.

Offline choo choo

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #1565 on: Mar 04, 2018, 04:46 PM »
cool pictures seems fisher are everywhere now ,finally got a open season for them in Oswego county to trap them ...beautiful animal
Yes trapper, starting to hear about more and more of them being seen down this way too...definitely a beautiful animal...super dark fur , and tail.

really fun to watch reeleyz...I was mesmerized .
I thought it was an otter at first Boggey, until it got a little closer and realized it was a fisher. Must have been a blast up there at your camp watching the otters

I know they are much more common up north , but I am guessing it was a real treat for you too eyehi..

Tank.. I will check a few spots later this week for you and send you a pm.
My boots on some ice... A line down a hole...Some fish on the screen... And a flag in the air !......Winter is Good !!

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #1566 on: Mar 05, 2018, 01:55 PM »

Mason Eddie , the clam shed area is posted , do to litter last fall , there was an interested party in the property but as of now it’s still town property , but you can still park at the ball field and walk up the river , or on the other side of the river you can park over at the haldane building and cross over if you want to fish the west side , when I see the mayor I’ll see how things are going and up date any changes

Offline hardwater61

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Rock Doc on MFF
« Reply #1567 on: Mar 06, 2018, 04:24 PM »
Steve,
I was coming down off my hill last year and saw a fisher come down out of a hemlock and run across the side hill. It was about 11:00 in the morning so he/she may have been after a squirrel? They will go after turkeys in the roost though. They can be nasty...I wouldn’t want to corner one!
Wayne W.

Offline scout57

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • life's to short,lets go ice fishin'
« Reply #1568 on: Mar 06, 2018, 04:30 PM »
fishers are definitely expanding their range the last couple years...imho.......hav e seen multiple cats in a couple different areas in the last 2 years......pretty cool to watch

Offline Rugburn

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Carpeted boat + rough water = RUGBURN
« Reply #1569 on: Mar 06, 2018, 04:37 PM »
Yes I bet they can get nasty. While bowhunting from a tree stand last fall, I noticed the squirrels started talking to each other, barking and fussing. Then the squirrels went quiet, minute later here comes a fisher.

Had one get in a bucket of fish carcasses I had outside. He didn't notice me standing there watching him. He was going to town munching those remains down. I said to him, "HEY What Are You Doing"? He looks up with teeth showing, blood all over his face, then took off. Wish I got a pic of that!

Offline hardwater61

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Rock Doc on MFF
« Reply #1570 on: Mar 06, 2018, 04:47 PM »
A guy got one in one his Coon traps here about 6 years ago which had to be released. 3 guys trying to get it out of the trap and when they did, he didn’t run off right away...he turned and squared off at them snarling and hissing.
Wayne W.

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #1571 on: Mar 06, 2018, 05:05 PM »

I got one in My neighborhood

Offline choo choo

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #1572 on: Mar 06, 2018, 05:43 PM »
Steve,
I was coming down off my hill last year and saw a fisher come down out of a hemlock and run across the side hill. It was about 11:00 in the morning so he/she may have been after a squirrel? They will go after turkeys in the roost though. They can be nasty...I wouldn’t want to corner one!

A guy got one in one his Coon traps here about 6 years ago which had to be released. 3 guys trying to get it out of the trap and when they did, he didn’t run off right away...he turned and squared off at them snarling and hissing.

Yes I bet they can get nasty. While bowhunting from a tree stand last fall, I noticed the squirrels started talking to each other, barking and fussing. Then the squirrels went quiet, minute later here comes a fisher.

Had one get in a bucket of fish carcasses I had outside. He didn't notice me standing there watching him. He was going to town munching those remains down. I said to him, "HEY What Are You Doing"? He looks up with teeth showing, blood all over his face, then took off. Wish I got a pic of that!

I guess they can be nasty!
I was reading on the NY State DEC website, they said the fisher has NO natural enemies here in NY State,.... only man !

Nothing gonna mess with a fisher!

Thought it was cool reading that they are one of the only animals that hunt, kill, and eat porcupines.

fishers are definitely expanding their range the last couple years...imho.......hav e seen multiple cats in a couple different areas in the last 2 years......pretty cool to watch
DEC said that they are definitely expanding their range as you mentioned scout.

Watch out for your pets Fred , they are known to kill house cats in some areas!
My boots on some ice... A line down a hole...Some fish on the screen... And a flag in the air !......Winter is Good !!

Offline beershanty

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • There'll be no quitters til we bag some critters!!
« Reply #1573 on: Mar 06, 2018, 06:23 PM »
there is a cool video on youtube of a fisher chasing a squirrel up, down and all around this tree then he catches it! theyre a very fascinating animal thats for sure! search: fisher cat vs squirrel on youtube
Just roll me up and smoke me when I die

Offline wish4fish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1574 on: Mar 09, 2018, 03:31 AM »
I pulled a big male Fisher out of the road that had been just hit.. it was in great shape.. no holes or rips.... It weighed 35 lbs and was about 6ft long including the tail.... I didn’t know they could get that big

Offline scout57

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • life's to short,lets go ice fishin'
« Reply #1575 on: Mar 09, 2018, 05:46 AM »
actually saw 1 yesterday cross lakeshore rd. in cicero at 6:30 am......right near my house......gonna have to keep an eye on the dog for awhile.....thing had to be at least 4' long....jet black

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #1576 on: Mar 09, 2018, 06:28 AM »
I pulled a big male Fisher out of the road that had been just hit.. it was in great shape.. no holes or rips.... It weighed 35 lbs and was about 6ft long including the tail.... I didn’t know they could get that big

that's not a fisher ,could be a other fisher  are only 2 1/2 feet and I never trapped one over 10 pounds ....

Offline Oldtimer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #1577 on: Mar 09, 2018, 06:35 AM »
I. caught some big males on Tug Hill a long while back . Some were big, long ? Yes , but never near 35 lbs.  never an ounce of fat on them. 

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #1578 on: Mar 09, 2018, 06:38 AM »
biggest one I ever got was in volney before they had a season here... got in a fox set ....was a experience letting him go he was mad!!!!

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #1579 on: Mar 09, 2018, 06:42 AM »
Wish4fish
Call the dec and they will dispatch someone to pick it up and take it to the biologist,for study , I did it last year they came right over and got it

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #1580 on: Mar 09, 2018, 06:54 AM »
I think and   again I say I THINK  ,,,,it is illegal to pick up a dead animal out of the road during it's closed season ..... I'm sure  wish4 did not mean harm ,you should call the dec to have it identified .....if it's close to 30 pounds I'm betting you got a river otter and the dec would be  very interested because of the river otter stocking program

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #1581 on: Mar 09, 2018, 06:57 AM »

You can move it to the side of the road , but don’t take an animal out of season and put it in your truck you could get a tick and I asked that very question and that was the answer I received from officer Dorrett

Offline hunts2long

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1582 on: Mar 09, 2018, 07:01 AM »
Sure it wasn't a fisher at 35lbs.  DEC says males get to 13lbs and females to 7lbs. Over the years, have seen many while I was deer hunting. One of my sets was the "Fisher Watch"....h2l
Northville, NY

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #1583 on: Mar 09, 2018, 07:06 AM »
hunts exactly what I'm saying  I trapped all my life  in the north and fisher just aren't that big  but.............river otter   can be and with the river otter program  they are being seen all over ...... I'd be interested in what he found

Offline northernnyice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1584 on: Mar 09, 2018, 07:08 AM »
6 foot fisher? 35 pounds? Nice......

Offline choo choo

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #1585 on: Mar 09, 2018, 08:19 AM »
Here are pictures I took of a  road killed  fisher I saw last March near Hancock.. First one I had ever touched or seen so close up. It was a male between 10 and 15 lbs, I think 44" total and beautiful . My boot and cooler can help judge the size.

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #1586 on: Mar 09, 2018, 08:28 AM »
one more thing ...fisher love to eat porcupines ,often  quills are in their fur ....human nature makes you want to stroke the fur to see if it is soft ....be very very careful ,I speak from personal experience .....

Offline choo choo

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #1587 on: Mar 09, 2018, 11:37 AM »
Yes , They are the ONLY mammal in all of North America that hunts, kills and eats porcupines.

Fur prices on Fisher, like many animals, have been way down ... 20 years ago a prime northern Fisher would bring between $300 and $400 dollars per pelt. ...now they only bring $20 to $40 dollars per pelt.

Offline wish4fish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1588 on: Mar 09, 2018, 11:58 AM »
It was a few yrs ago.... I gave it to my cousin who traps he said he’d never seen one as big....I’ll try and find the picture. Holding it by the back feet straight in front of me it’s nose was touching the ground.

Offline perch chacer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1589 on: Mar 09, 2018, 12:04 PM »
Same thing happened to the coon fur prices.  Use to get 20+ $ per lg pelt and I use to take 100 to 200 pelts to auction.   But now it isn't worth killing them, just chase them through the woods and leave them in the trees.  Dogs still have fun.  We can thank the Russian fur industry for the decline along with others.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.