Author Topic: Tip down rigs  (Read 1996 times)

Offline iceice

• Team IceShanty Regular
Tip down rigs
« on: Dec 31, 2012, 07:59 PM »
I have been fishing with T/D's for a few years and used different rigs on them.I find i catch my bigger perch on the large fat head minnows on a #10 tremble.What rigs are you favorite?

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
Re: Tip down rigs
« Reply #1 on: Dec 31, 2012, 11:20 PM »
I've got a few years with T/D's and can't legally use live bait. I often use a #10 or #12 treble with a perch eye, or scaled perch belly with the shiny inner belly lining with the end split off center, so one is longer than the other.
Before rigging the hook, I slide a 3/16" to 1/4" Emerald Green Swarovski Crystal Bead, up the line before direct tying the chosen hook on. I use that bead on any perch rig. Those beads have more facets and shine than any other I've found. Another good dead stick lure is a horizontal Marabou jig in chartreuse, with 1/4" of night crawler or a maggot, pointing up at a 45d. angle, away from the hook. Mainly it's that bead and all those light rays on clear water less than 6'.  One last trick, never drill just one hole for a T/D. 18" away' drill a second hole. I take a 7' rod and approach, carefully, the empty hole and very often pick up several more from the school. When it goes quiet, I bring in the fish on the T/D and reset.
So, now, do you wanta share yours?   

Offline iceice

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 01, 2013, 08:24 AM »
Swarovski cyristal beads what a concept.Love it!!!!I have used colored glass beads before but but the shine you must get from these guys have me intrigued.I also have used beads with small blades that i take off of my road runner lures.All the blades work but my favorite is the  silver hammered willow leaf behind a sm. red glass bead to a #10 tremble hook.This rig is on 4lb test and skin hook a 3in fat head behind the dorsal. Attach a 1/4 oz split shot 10 in.up the line to get it down.Love using TDs!

Offline iceice

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 01, 2013, 09:23 AM »
Do any of you guys find that one tipdown spread work better than another?Straight line,circle,u-shape,box in one and how far apart?3/4s of the time i use a straight line set seven steps apart on the down wind side of my shanty.         

Offline fiesty

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Jan 01, 2013, 07:08 PM »
when I set up mine, which I don't do all that much anymore, but when I do I like to basically be able to reach every line without moving much...when I am on Champlain fishing craps or perch I run them as close as I can....all 15 within reach of the bait pail...I use wire hooks, Peckways or whatever you have, enough split shot so that the bait drops fast back down the hole...areas where I cannot use all 15, sometimes I will set one straight line so that I can walk back and forth bouncing the baits...I love it when you got the fish cranked...great times...
It's all about Karma.....

Offline iceice

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 01, 2013, 07:32 PM »
when I set up mine, which I don't do all that much anymore, but when I do I like to basically be able to reach every line without moving much...when I am on Champlain fishing craps or perch I run them as close as I can....all 15 within reach of the bait pail...I use wire hooks, Peckways or whatever you have, enough split shot so that the bait drops fast back down the hole...areas where I cannot use all 15, sometimes I will set one straight line so that I can walk back and forth bouncing the baits...I love it when you got the fish cranked...great times...
Can't imagine using 15!Got to be a blast.There has been times that I could not get all 5 baits in the water at the same time for at least an hour the action was so good.Better workout than the gym.       let-um-run     Welchy

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.