Author Topic: Cold weather oil in your ATV?  (Read 18198 times)

Offline boy wonder

• IceShanty Rookie
Cold weather oil in your ATV?
« on: Dec 18, 2008, 10:50 PM »
Do any of you put cold weather oil rated for cold temps in your 4 stroke ATV's for the winter? I got a new 700 Grizzly EFI that is just going to be used for ice fishing and I'm sure it has the stock/factory oil in it for warmer temps.  I see in the manual there are 2 other Yamaha oils for colder temps. Should I switch out the oil? Or doesn't it matter too much?
Thoughts?
Thanks

Offline Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
Re: Cold weather oil in your ATV?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 18, 2008, 11:00 PM »
I would run the same oil that they call for in their snowmobiles 0/30 wt.
You will get less wear by using the thinner less viscous oil in the colder temps.
I would talk to your dealer first, they should know.   8)

Offline fin-n-feather

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The Shanty rocks!!!
« Reply #2 on: Dec 18, 2008, 11:13 PM »
I run Amsoil Synthetic 0W-40 year round.  An excellent oil!!  f-n-f

Offline flounderhead59

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Dec 18, 2008, 11:22 PM »
What about for a 2-stroke w/oil injection?

Offline Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #4 on: Dec 18, 2008, 11:24 PM »

Opti2 injectable synthetic

Offline diamond jig 86

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Dec 18, 2008, 11:33 PM »
I run amsoil intercepter in all my sleds i have an 2005 rev Mxzx 600ho with 8300 maine miles and a 2007 mxz xrs 800 with 4800 that still run like they were just taken out of the crate... the amsoil has a nice smell too!

Offline diamond jig 86

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Dec 18, 2008, 11:40 PM »
Do any of you put cold weather oil rated for cold temps in your 4 stroke ATV's for the winter? I got a new 700 Grizzly EFI that is just going to be used for ice fishing and I'm sure it has the stock/factory oil in it for warmer temps.  I see in the manual there are 2 other Yamaha oils for colder temps. Should I switch out the oil? Or doesn't it matter too much?
Thoughts?
Thanks

I would just run a good name brand semi-synthetic 10-40 like spectro 4stroke....runs about $10.00 a quart but its worth the money you pay.....try to stay away from atv brand oils like yamalube honda gn4 and so on...because the oil with the name brand of say yamalube isn't always the same oil, oil change to oil change because the atv manufactures put the oil making up for bid every month the cheapest at the time gets the contract for the month

Offline diamond jig 86

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Dec 18, 2008, 11:46 PM »
try not to use the cheap gas in atvs and snowmobiles like 87 and 89 octane... USE 93 or the HIGHEST at the pump... my buddy has a 08 griz 700 fi and the ethanol content in low octane gas like 87 caused his motor to grenade at 500 miles. The dealer said it has been his 4th one for the year from low octane gas containing ethanol.. Its worth the extra .20 a gallon when you have 9 G's invested

Offline boomdoggie

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Dec 19, 2008, 04:55 AM »
I switched my vintage sled over to 94 Sunoco and Belray synthetic and i can notice the difference . Anything my baby wants she gets

Offline flounderhead59

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Dec 19, 2008, 06:13 AM »
All gas in Illinois has ethanol in it.  Even the premium 93 octane.

Offline boy wonder

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Dec 19, 2008, 08:49 AM »
thanks for all the replies and info guys. Appreciated. I think I will put in the Amsoil 0w40 as it sounds like it is just what I should have in it for cold weather.
There are CITGO gas stations near me that have ethanol free 93 octane. With the gas tank only being about 4.5 gallons I think I can splurge on the premium for the new machine.
Does anyone reccommend running any fuel additive in winter like HEET?

Offline spearchucker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Dec 21, 2008, 05:08 PM »
thanks for all the replies and info guys. Appreciated. I think I will put in the Amsoil 0w40 as it sounds like it is just what I should have in it for cold weather.
There are CITGO gas stations near me that have ethanol free 93 octane. With the gas tank only being about 4.5 gallons I think I can splurge on the premium for the new machine.

I would stick with Yamaha oil if it's still under warranty you can avoid any questions down the road that way. I run 5W30 Yamalube in my '07 Grizzly 700 when it gets really cold,as recommended by the dealer. It turns over much easier. Just make sure you put the summer weight oil in it when the temps climb back up there.

Offline boy wonder

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Dec 22, 2008, 02:34 PM »
thanks for all the suggestions...I switched mine out to Amsoil 0w 40 today...also, this will not void out my warranty. The Yamaha dealer I took it to confirmed my 2.5 yr warranty will not be effected at all by running Amsoil in it.
fyi for those making the switch...

Offline stumper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Never settle for less
« Reply #13 on: Dec 23, 2008, 07:50 PM »
try not to use the cheap gas in atvs and snowmobiles like 87 and 89 octane... USE 93 or the HIGHEST at the pump... my buddy has a 08 griz 700 fi and the ethanol content in low octane gas like 87 caused his motor to grenade at 500 miles. The dealer said it has been his 4th one for the year from low octane gas containing ethanol.. Its worth the extra .20 a gallon when you have 9 G's invested

Dealer is GOOFY, My o7 brute has almost 4000 trouble free 10 % ethanol miles on it. Runs like a top.

Offline boy wonder

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Dec 23, 2008, 07:52 PM »
I've heard of quite a few problems this year with things like augers and 4 wheelers and most guys are attributing it to the poor quality of gas they are using, ie. w/ ethanol.
I am going to run my auger with premium, no ethanol Citgo gas and I might fill up the wheeler with the same gas.
I don't think that dealer is all that goofy.. ; )

Offline stumper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Never settle for less
« Reply #15 on: Dec 23, 2008, 07:57 PM »
I've heard of quite a few problems this year with things like augers and 4 wheelers and most guys are attributing it to the poor quality of gas they are using, ie. w/ ethanol.
I am going to run my auger with premium, no ethanol Citgo gas and I might fill up the wheeler with the same gas.
I don't think that dealer is all that goofy.. ; )

I should add I use the same fuel in my eskimo and its got close to 500 trip to the lake on it. untold thousands of holes and have only changed the plug once.

Offline element

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • What do you do with the ice once you catch it?
« Reply #16 on: Jan 05, 2009, 04:07 PM »
Thoughts?
Thanks
I have an 06 grizz and change to oil twice a year, onec in the spring to summer oil and once int the fall to winter oil. The winter weight oil helps alot when you go to start it up on cold days. If you keep the summer oil in it in the winter you run into starting problems because the oil is too thick and the motor doesn't turn over as fast as it should. When I change the oil in my Grizz I use the yamalube winter oil, Or the factory HONDA :( oil if I canot find Yamalube. They have the same oil ratings. Remember that when you change the oil not to use and oil that has a really high lubrication value. The oil from your engine also baths the internal components of your clutch (so I was told) and if you use something with too high a lube value it can cause your clutch to not properly engage and could lead to your clutch slipping. If you are not sure about something you can always call the STEALERSHIP where you bought the machine and they can tell you what you need to know.

Hope this helps :)

Offline diamond jig 86

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Jan 05, 2009, 09:11 PM »

using an additive like heet is just as bad as ethanol for the small engines... however when im skeptical on the quality of the gas or if you have frost on the inside of your gas cap ill fill my tank right to the bottom of the neck then put an octane boost with an additive like dry-gas or heet in it and fill the tank to the brim.

Offline Sluggo

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • On the ice it's twice as nice!
« Reply #18 on: Jan 07, 2009, 10:01 PM »

I always use 87 octane fuel in the wheeler.  It's so detuned I'll never notice a difference. As for the ethanol..... nothing I can do about it.  One thing I do in winter is add about a quarter of a container of gas line antifreeze to my wheeler when I fill it up.  I have done this since 2001 with no issues.  Be very carefull if you do this as well, any more than a quarter of a bottle could have severe consequences.

Lombardy, Ontario, Canada

Offline moving on

• IceShanty Rookie
noise in motor
« Reply #19 on: Dec 14, 2017, 11:01 AM »
I have a 2012 Polaris 800 sportsman EFI it has about 200 hrs. on it never been on any trails it has been used for plowing. There is a noise on the right side of the motor sounds like a bad lifter in a car when it is going bad I know it doesn't have lifters. Does any body have any idea as to what it could?

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
Re: noise in motor
« Reply #20 on: Dec 14, 2017, 12:22 PM »
I have a 2012 Polaris 800 sportsman EFI it has about 200 hrs. on it never been on any trails it has been used for plowing. There is a noise on the right side of the motor sounds like a bad lifter in a car when it is going bad I know it doesn't have lifters. Does any body have any idea as to what it could?
loose or tight valves..they need adjusting once in awhile.get a manual/correct valve gauge and set them to factory specs.

Offline Ranger619

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Dec 14, 2017, 06:39 PM »
All gas in Illinois has ethanol in it.  Even the premium 93 octane.

You can find no ethanol gas in Illinois for sure. Any Hy Vee gas station has it also you can do a Google search to help find other places. Also I always use either Startron or Sea Foam in my King Quad never have a problem.
Fish as much as you can we're not here forever!

Otter Cottage Pro X Over
Marcum LX9 LX7 LX3
Thorne Bros,G Austin & TUCR Rods
Striker Lite Flite Milwaukee Fuel M18

Suzuki 750 King Quad W/Otter Monster Box

Offline Team Rapo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Dec 22, 2017, 11:49 AM »
just my .02 anything that isn't my truck gets premium. Been there done that with the old merc 9.9 outboard, couldnt belive it the crap i would clean out of the carb twice a year.. reg gas aint worth the headache.

Offline redneckdan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Feb 03, 2018, 10:38 PM »
Just run 0w40 all year round. The summer oil and winter oil theory is a hold over from the single vis days.

Delvac 1, Rotella T6, Mobil 1 are all good options in a 0w40. I change mine every 3 months. ATVs with a common sump will shear oil quicker than a car engine will.

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #24 on: Feb 04, 2018, 12:53 AM »
Just run 0w40 all year round. The summer oil and winter oil theory is a hold over from the single vis days.

Delvac 1, Rotella T6, Mobil 1 are all good options in a 0w40. I change mine every 3 months. ATVs with a common sump will shear oil quicker than a car engine will.

Dan, Amsoil has not sheared since it began to be produced in 1972.  None of it, not any grade, not any type, not engine lubricant, not gear lube, not transmission lube.
  The odd thing to understand is, folks try to out-think the "Why use the best, it's just a piece of equipment" and put a lessor product in their machine?

Without shear, Amsoil never wears out ~ It becomes a challenge to filter it clean. So now, they produce better filters, some of which are good for over 12,000 miles, or more, depending on the engine, others are fine to 25,000 miles.  Some of the gear lubes pour at -60*.

The best to ya Dan and stay safe.     ;)2

Offline redneckdan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Feb 04, 2018, 10:48 AM »
All oil shears, some just shear less. Amsoil test data is targeted towards diesel engines and not ATVs with common sumps. It's a different application. The gear mesh is hard on the long chain molecules that make multi vis what it is.

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #26 on: Feb 04, 2018, 01:07 PM »
A short trip west to Superior, WI will result a better education in facts. But only if you have any desire in knowing Amsoil.     ;)2

Offline egriffin70

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ed
« Reply #27 on: Feb 06, 2018, 07:46 AM »
I run Amsoil 0w-40 Snowmobile/ATV oil all year in my King Quad 700.  Best oil on the market for cold weather and Hot. 

I also use K&N filters. 

Offline redneckdan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Feb 06, 2018, 10:44 PM »
Been there. Done that. I live about an hour North of there.

I also hold a current ICML CAT III MLA & CAT II MLT.

I do run the Saber Pro in my chain saws. At 40:1.

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #29 on: Feb 06, 2018, 11:01 PM »
 er, um,  40:1 is at least double strength, what is your reason, Dan?

International Council for Machinery Lubrication, Category III, Basic Machinery Lubrication & Oil Analysis & CATEGORY II  Machinery Lubrication Tech.
                                                                        The CAT III MLA is a 32 hour course? Or is it a 3 day course?
   That does demonstrate some awareness and training.   Do you have some OJT or practial experience ?

You are probably familiar with the test "ASTM D5481" and "ASTM D97" and " ASTM D5800 ".    No or yes?   There are several dozen othes.

Show us your stuff Dan.     :bow: ;)2

The idea here is to help your ice fishing engines last your lifetime, folks.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.