Author Topic: Blackstrap 2020-2021  (Read 67746 times)

Offline Churchill River

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Blackstrap 2020-2021
« Reply #30 on: Nov 14, 2020, 08:48 PM »
file:///var/folders/h0/4d9zfzx54j55h7x24gkbtd1w0000gn/T/WebKitDropDestination-WXe3JvLD/IMG_1568.jpg

Offline DoubleHookSet

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #31 on: Nov 14, 2020, 08:58 PM »
Great to hear CR and thanks for the report.

Myself and a buddy walked out at the south dam this morning for a few hours. We started in 13 fow and moved out to 20 fow. Saw a decent amount of marks on the flasher but only landed a single perch.

We headed back around noon. Ice was solid 4 inches or more everywhere we drilled. Having said that we walked out testing with an ice pick first as I'm still new to early ice.

Stay safe everyone and cant wait to get back out there.

Offline Water Wolf

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice anglers walk on water.
« Reply #32 on: Nov 14, 2020, 09:43 PM »
Way to go Ralphyc, ripnflutter, Churchill River and DoubleHookSet.
Dandy start to the season guys.
:icefish:

Was the good old hawger spoon the ticket again?
Do you guys go for the original or rattle type? :-\

Churchill River, I have not had that issue yet with Safari not opening for me yet, but, did find this article that
may help you. ---> https://osxdaily.com/fix-safari-cant-open-page-error-ios-mac/

WW
Looking for that BIG BITE!

Offline Churchill River

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #33 on: Nov 14, 2020, 10:17 PM »
Yes Water Wolf.  We were bought using the chartreuse hawger, with the perch eyes.  Usually just use the regular ones,
but do have a few with the rattle in the back of them.  I don't think it makes a difference.

Thanks for that site.  I tried everything on there, except use a different browser, with no luck.

Offline Majic_Fish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #34 on: Nov 14, 2020, 11:24 PM »
Anyone know if the road to the boat launches is good to drive

gman51

« Reply #35 on: Nov 15, 2020, 07:09 AM »
 i still have some of the original painted hawgers before they replaced them with the sticker type. hard to find. Haven’t used them in years. Your right church it doesn’t make a difference it’s Just another lure perch Sure seem to like them.Churchill should know about the boat launch access he was in the area yesterday.

Offline Churchill River

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #36 on: Nov 15, 2020, 10:02 AM »
I checked out the boat launches and they haven't been cleared.  I went to the far parking area in line with Evans Road and was able to
drive down to the picnic tables with no problem at all and it wasn't cleared.  There was a vehicle parked in the first parking lot, and they walked out from there in front of the launches.  Not sure how they did.  I didn't walk all the way down the launch, so there might be only a couple of deep spots to plow through.

I think a guy could plow through going down the launch, might have trouble coming back up.  Until we can drive on, I don't think we
need to drive the extra 40 yards down the launch. 

As for my problem posting pictures continues, I know find that I can't see other peoples posts on the front page.  I can only see other peoples posts when I click on reply to post (like I am posting this one).  So I have done something wrong.  Some of you think I know how to fish,
but know you all know, that I know crap about computers.  Some mornings my wife has to show me the power on button.  I am thinking of painting it chartreuse like my hawger.

Offline Churchill River

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #37 on: Nov 15, 2020, 03:43 PM »

Offline Churchill River

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #38 on: Nov 15, 2020, 03:44 PM »

gman51

« Reply #39 on: Nov 15, 2020, 07:25 PM »
Out again today enjoying the great weather very little wind unlike yesterday and Friday. Teamed up with shanty member saskbucks. hanging out watching marks come through all day setting hooks chasing flags 1 for 10 on the tip-up.. Lol perch we playing games tripping flags. great day out there. More trips planned thanks saskbucks.

Offline Majic_Fish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #40 on: Nov 15, 2020, 07:31 PM »
So I got a chance to go out today. Walked on just in front of shields. Really good ice. Up to 6” in some spots. Marked many fish and managed to bring up a bunch of perch and a few small walleye. Everything went back down the hole except for two walleye that I kept for supper. Fished in 21’ of water.  Stay safe out there. 

Offline saskbucks

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #41 on: Nov 15, 2020, 07:33 PM »
It was great to get out with Rip! Nice to get out and catch up with a buddy.  Tried out my new pistol bit today.  Love how lightweight and easy it is to use.  Looking forward to the new ice seasons
Get outside.  It does a body and mind good!

Offline jjy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #42 on: Nov 15, 2020, 08:40 PM »
Hello guys, me and my friend are planning to go to blackstrap this coming Saturday. I am wondering if the marked places on the map have good and clear ice?
Thanks in advance and enjoy the fishing.

gman51

« Reply #43 on: Nov 16, 2020, 07:45 AM »
sounds like your new to ice fishing.? hard to get any help or advice with the map you posted. my advice would be to open up google maps satellite view of the lake and look for access near to where you want to fish. this time of year (early ice) you shouldn't really take anyone's word on ice conditions get out there yourself take a spud bar and ice picks even were a life jacket if your new to ice fishing. go online and research  good luck be safe.

Offline jjy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #44 on: Nov 16, 2020, 08:09 AM »
Thank you so much for your advice, Ripnflutter.

I am kinda new to ice fishing (started last year). I have been doing a lot of shore fishing in May this year around the southern tip of blackstrap and had some luck catching walleye and white fish.
I went to the northern tip of blackstrap last weekend and the ice was about 4'' in most areas but had no luck. So, I want to try the southern tip this weekend.
I just wanna know the general ice condition on the southern tip, and for sure, I will bring my spud bar and ice picks to check the ice myself.

Thanks again for the advice.

Offline DoubleHookSet

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #45 on: Nov 16, 2020, 09:52 AM »
I fished just off the south dam on Saturday and everywhere we went had solid 4inches or more. The access road was easily drivable in my truck but would have been fine in something smaller too.

With that said, Rip and others on this forum have years of experience on me. Make sure to safely check the ice any time you're out.

Good luck!

Offline saskbucks

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #46 on: Nov 16, 2020, 06:48 PM »
Get outside.  It does a body and mind good!

Offline Churchill River

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #47 on: Nov 16, 2020, 07:02 PM »
Saskbucks, no that isn't me.  The gentleman I was fishing with that day.

When I got it to the top of the hole, he grabbed it, and held it up, so I took a picture with him holding it.

Offline Churchill River

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #48 on: Nov 16, 2020, 10:25 PM »
Fished the far North end this morning (thinking we might find some bigger perch), from 9:45 till about 11:30.  Our group caught about 25 small perch, only a couple that were 9 inches.  So we moved to Evans Road and fished until 5.  Even with the soft bites, we caught a ton of perch along with 3 walleye.  Again the perch were very small, with 3 of them over 10 inches barley.

Will try later in the week in a couple different spots to see if we can find some bigger perch.

Anyone catching many or any jumbo's so far?

Offline speckspotter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #49 on: Nov 17, 2020, 08:22 AM »
Just one observation to add to Churchill River's report; we noted that the majority of the perch we kept were males.

We had a lot of laughs fighting epic battles with some very small perch. CR put a positive spin on things by calling it "good practise"
to detect those light bites and get those minnows topside. Happily, most of the released fish (we were around 24 feet deep) immediately swam away looking none the worse for wear. I only ended up with one hors d'oeuvre fish that needed micro surgical filleting technique.

Offline Churchill River

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #50 on: Nov 17, 2020, 10:15 AM »
See Speck.......practice catching those small soft biting Perch, as well as practicing our filleting skills......if the winter keeps up the same,
we are going to be darn good at both.

Offline Water Wolf

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice anglers walk on water.
« Reply #51 on: Nov 17, 2020, 05:29 PM »
Hows the water clarity this year? ???
Last winter you guys were saying it was quite bad in some area.

WW
Looking for that BIG BITE!

Offline speckspotter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #52 on: Nov 17, 2020, 07:23 PM »
We only drilled in two areas; the north end and Evans Road, but so far the water seems pretty clear.
The fish are as tasty as ever.

Offline corney

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #53 on: Nov 17, 2020, 07:54 PM »
Hey Churchill, I walked on from Shields beach area and fished near where all the ice shacks usually are over the winter.

That was you out there! Wondered who that brave soul was!

Right there was one of the last refugee for the geese, I think there is springs feeding out there?

Offline EVAN NIM

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #54 on: Nov 19, 2020, 09:11 AM »
Some guys are saying slush ice on the lakes, im trying to get my wt tag filled so i can get out there..!

Black hard ice on the strap or is it slushy and grey?

Offline Luke perch

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #55 on: Nov 19, 2020, 07:52 PM »

The ice is still good I didn’t find any slushy spots today

Offline Ralphyc

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #56 on: Nov 21, 2020, 12:52 PM »
Hey I found one ice cleat boot cover yesterday at Evans road, there were two other people fishing so I presume it was one of theirs. If it’s yours you can personal message me and I will return.

PS. Church your Personal message folder is full so can’t respond to your pm.

gman51

« Reply #57 on: Nov 24, 2020, 07:48 PM »
Out for the afternoon/evening checking out a couple areas on the lake. weather was great a bit breezy. Perch and walleyes were a little more cooperative than the last few trips. Couple 15” eyes made the trip home. Even a few jumbos were landed. 8-9” of ice in most places fished.

Offline Churchill River

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #58 on: Nov 25, 2020, 08:02 PM »
Fished the far South side this morning from 9:45 to noon.  Steady action all morning, all small perch, nothing over 10 inches.  Then moved to Evans Road area and fished until 5.  The perch were non stop at Evans Road right up until 5.  Did catch one 11 and one 12 inch perch and kept a few 9 1/2 inchers for a feed.  The South end had a good 10 inches of ice.   Evans Road was a good 9 inches.

I checked the boat launches and they are still a no go.  The North boat launch has snow pushed in front of it when they cleared the parking lot.  You can get round it but the snow is pretty deep.  Some one tried to drive down the South boat launch and only got about 1/2 way. 

Offline Majic_Fish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #59 on: Nov 25, 2020, 09:13 PM »
Hey church. I was at Evan’s all day today. Fished with my nephew we were in the red Eskimo shack. Non stop perch action all day. Again nothing big. My nephew landed a few pike, and lost a monster pike at the hole. Saw lots on the camera. I don’t think there was really a time where we didn’t see fish on the camera.

I was killing it with your hawger/perch eye combo. Could barely get it all the way to the bottom before it got hit. Genius!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.