Author Topic: tip downs  (Read 2092 times)

Offline ojibwa6

• IceShanty Rookie
tip downs
« on: Feb 09, 2020, 09:58 PM »
I am interested in getting some tip downs and was hoping to get some advice on the different ones.
My friends were using some the other day and had way better success than I had jigging. I was looking at the dangler because I would prefer using my rod and reels but I read a article that claims the ones with rod and reel give too much resistance. I just enjoy reeling in the fish vs pulling the line by hand.

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: tip downs
« Reply #1 on: Feb 10, 2020, 01:30 AM »
I use ht ice riggers, a rod holder that has a flag trip clipped to the line. Nothing to attach to the rod or bobber stop on the line. They also have a tip down version. Many people make their own tip downs, it’s just something to hang your rod on, but you need to find the balanced point on your rod to attach the hanger to. I just don’t like how they aren’t as visual as a flag being up. Biggest issue with using these is the holes freezing up and stopping the line from freely going down the hole.

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
real fishermen don't ask "where you catch those"

OANN the real story

- member here since -2003- IN.

Offline Kopower

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 10, 2020, 12:40 PM »
Sometimes my HT ice rigger doesn't release the line when a fish is on. Pretty frustrating.

I've been using the Sullivan tip down and been very happy with it. I have it paired with a 38" rod with an Okuma baitfeeder.

Offline Sylvanboat

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Feb 10, 2020, 01:11 PM »
I use 2 Sure Strike tip downs bought from Mike Schreiber in Merrill, WI. they are made of wood with Schooley rods.  The rods are neutrally buoyant and when a fish strike, it pulls the rod down. They work good.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #6 on: Feb 10, 2020, 01:19 PM »
I use 2 Sure Strike tip downs bought from Mike Schreiber in Merrill, WI. they are made of wood with Schooley rods.  The rods are neutrally buoyant and when a fish strike, it pulls the rod down. They work good.

Do you have a link ?

I use these as well ..nice long rod . I got mine through Mills Fleet Farm ..but haven't seen them on that site in quite a while ..maybe an in store item only now .
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Feb 10, 2020, 01:22 PM »
Sometimes my HT ice rigger doesn't release the line when a fish is on. Pretty frustrating.

I’ve replaced the covers on the clips with silicone airline tubing from pet stores. The newer ones I got last year have a dense foam clip cover that have been working pretty well  for me too. 

Offline matt12

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Feb 10, 2020, 02:34 PM »
I like the danglers because they are light and easy to use and I can use my spinning reels.

only con I can see with them is you may not want to have them spread out too far incase a northern comes through and takes everything down the hole. Or at least the rod. Trust me.. I know.

Offline HWeber

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Feb 10, 2020, 07:03 PM »
Can't beat the sensitivity of a real tipdown.  All the spinning reel tipdowns definitely sacrifice a good bit of sensitivity for the convenience of having a reel

Offline BIGFISH

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Feb 11, 2020, 10:59 AM »
Make your own there pretty simple

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.