Author Topic: barometric pressure affecting the bite  (Read 1178 times)

Offline icebites

• Team IceShanty Regular
barometric pressure affecting the bite
« on: Feb 07, 2020, 07:33 PM »
The most common phrase you hear after fishing for two hours and not getting a bite, “ You should’ve been here yesterday”.  How do you coax fish into biting when the pressure is not ideal? 

Offline Light liner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Rather be judged by 12 then carried by 6.
Re: barometric pressure affecting the bite
« Reply #1 on: Feb 07, 2020, 09:17 PM »
Thats why its called fishing.
Champlain
Memphremagog

Offline eyeflyer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 07, 2020, 09:48 PM »
The most common phrase you hear after fishing for two hours and not getting a bite, “ You should’ve been here yesterday”.  How do you coax fish into biting when the pressure is not ideal?

Can be a tough one, tough bite go slow and down size. After fishing walleye tournaments for almost  years across the prairies the one thing that I have observed regardless of weather is that there are ALWAYS fish biting somewhere. In a  100 boat field at least 15-20 boats always find biting fish.

Offline struckus

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 08, 2020, 09:45 AM »
just keep trying things until they bite..i've found that most people will say the fish aren't biting way too early..I remember early in the season running for both my lines because they just wouldn't stop going off..I could hear guys talking outside my popup saying how slow the fishing was and that they weren't biting..just gotta keep trying different presentations til they hit something..reactionary vs slow etc..and downsizing..fish finders make this possible because you can see that the fish is there but not interested so then you can change..

Offline badbrad2186

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Feb 08, 2020, 10:00 AM »
I keep trying different things. Just the other day guys said they aren't biting I tried a different bait and put slobs on the ice
If you sit around all day and do nothing your a bum, but if you sit in a boat all day or in a shanty and do nothing they call you a fisherman

Offline badbrad2186

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Feb 08, 2020, 03:18 PM »
On bad days, you aren't going to get a limit no matter what you do.  You can however, still catch fish!  You just have to try different things until you find what they like.  Sometimes you have to just let the bait sit still and let them suck it in.  The other day I couldn't get a bite on gills.  Even though my flasher showed I had fish in every hole I tried.  Soooooooo, I tried different things, watching the flasher, to see what they wanted.  I had to shake the literal chit out of my pole.  I mean as fast as I could, then I would start raising the hook ever so slowly.  Then I would slow down on the shaking, raise it abruptly and stop the shaking.  The gills would fly up and hit the stopped bait.  Although, I could barely see my rod tip drop slightly.  As soon as it did, I would set the hook.  I didn't knock the heck out of the gills, but I did take a dozen home with me that I wouldn't have had, if I did try a different technique!

Even on slow days I have sat with guys and limited well they did poorly you just have to keep throwing stuff at them til you find what they want. Some times smaller is better and sometimes bigger is better.
If you sit around all day and do nothing your a bum, but if you sit in a boat all day or in a shanty and do nothing they call you a fisherman

Offline IFF

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Feb 09, 2020, 04:29 AM »
I was expecting to see "the barometer is too low, to high, on its way down, on its way up, hasn't moved for so many hours, has to be not changing..or has to be changing.
Bud

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.