Author Topic: Too much gear and not enough fishing.  (Read 3142 times)

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
Re: Too much gear and not enough fishing.
« Reply #30 on: Feb 07, 2020, 06:16 PM »
some people just need(or think they need) more stuff to get it done than others. 
real fishermen don't ask "where you catch those"

OANN the real story

- member here since -2003- IN.

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #31 on: Feb 07, 2020, 06:22 PM »
some people just need(or think they need) more stuff to get it done than others.

More likely is that some people (fat ones like me) need the exercise more than others.
Veritas Odium Parit

Offline Fry Flier

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #32 on: Feb 07, 2020, 06:39 PM »
Thank you. the truth here is you need what you want. I now am on the need trail.... I no longer want what I thought I needed but need only what I have, Yes this is new and great and this likes great but ....hmmm. You know. I will say 60 percent of what I have stays at home.
May your tip-up spool while your flag raises with hopes of landing the big one.

Offline Sylvanboat

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #33 on: Feb 10, 2020, 08:42 AM »
I use a camera a lot and enjoy watching fish relate to my baits.  It does matter at times to change the size or shape of the bait, or switching from jig to something else, or changing from live bait to plastics.  Color at times makes a difference.  If I don't have something I cannot try it. So yes I do tend to buy a lot of baits etc.

Offline RoeBoat

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #34 on: Feb 10, 2020, 02:44 PM »
I have way too much stuff, period!

Offline kpd145

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Shove 'em in
« Reply #35 on: Feb 10, 2020, 02:55 PM »
I try to find a balance.

I started with my pullover, I wanted light so I opted for the lightest I could find with an insulated top, I had no need for full insulation, primarily to keep weight down. I only use one seat, it saves me 12.2 pounds. My sled empty weighs about 36 pounds.

My heater, spud, safety items, auger, fish finder, rod bag, traps are all needed. I will leave traps at home if I am running and gunning for the day

I bring a small 5ah battery (1.5lbs maybe) to charge my LED light, speaker and phone on the ice, I like to listen to music while fishing and navionics and music is streaming from my phone, the LED light is strapped top top bar of my pullover to light it up in the dark. Spare cleats, xtra tank of gas, food, snacks, 2 poles to reinforce, I only use front and rear, I do not use the 2 extra ones to save weight.

At the end of the day, it all depends on the conditions (if it snowed and there is slush, I bring the bare necessities only), situation (solo, with friends, with kids) and what I am targeting (my panfish stuff is one box, my laker stuff is 3 boxes). I have gone with literally, a spud, rods and a flasher when I can get away with it. I have also dragged out a 5 person pop up, extra heater, and more of everything else if I am going with a group or my kids.

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming, "Wow! What a RIDE!"--Hunter S. Thompson

Offline hnd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #36 on: Feb 11, 2020, 11:13 AM »
its all about efficiency for me.  from the time i park the truck, how long does it take me to be fishing and be ON fish.  if i can reduce that time I'm interested in that product within reason. 

I have very little time to fish.  I have a job, larger family, other organizational responsibilities, and other things around the house that require my attention.  So when i do, i want to be as efficient as possible.   

I have a 2 man shack and a 1 man shack.   But most of the time I'm in my jet sled with a bucket with 3 rod holders, my flasher, and my drill.  thats it.  i'm adding panoptix to the mix (poor man's set up) which will add another thing but having seen it put me on fish within minutes instead of 10's of minutes, the added efficiency outweighs the added "thing" i now haul around. 

Offline TickleStick

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #37 on: Feb 11, 2020, 11:51 AM »
Part of fishing IMO is buying cool stuff for fishing :)
WINTER IS COMING!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.