Author Topic: What's the worst ice fishing item you ever bought and the best and why?  (Read 11388 times)

Offline MCGILLA G

• IceShanty Rookie
Worst:Clam Genz combo rod and reel
HT Enterprises quarter bucket seat

The combo reel I bought a year ago when just getting in to ice fishing it’s garbage, line tangles spring bobber broke off etc. and don’t get me started on that bucket seat.

Best:Bought some quality bibs Clam Ascent big difference then trying to repurpose hunting gear for the ice.
Marcum Recon 5: Love the little camera have had a good time so far watching perch on it, gives me a good idea of what my jig is doing in the water.

sunniewally

A strikemaster auger with the techunski motor with the compression release. Total useless PIA! cut for schitt if it started, transmission was junk, blades, ect. took many times to strikemaster to replace parts!! Bought an ion!!

Best and underwater camera. The water is clear and its so much fun to watch whats going on underwater especially on a bigger screen.  Learned alot about the way fish react. always good entertainment for everyone.

Offline E Z turn

• Team IceShanty Regular
 Absolute worst Eskimo Barracuda 8 in ice auger. Wouldn't make a good boat anchor.
 Best Vexilar FL8 se.
Oops! is too late.

Offline iceman260

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
Worst cheap fishing reels. The best is my vexilar fl-18.
If fishing is a sport are we considered athletes?

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
worst was the rod holders that wouldn't screw into the ice, like advertised.

best is yet to come ;D  so far the flip over, although the cordless drill/auger up there too                                                   
real fishermen don't ask "where you catch those"

OANN the real story

- member here since -2003- IN.

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
worst was the rod holders that wouldn't screw into the ice, like advertised.                                         

X2...I finally threw mine away last fall.  Utterly worthless.
Veritas Odium Parit

Offline fishingeek

• Team IceShanty Addict
Worst buys: inline reels (i don't understand the hype surrounding these reels. poor drags, tangles, break easily, and are grossly overpriced IMO.), Yaktrax, Clam folding chair/cooler, cheap ice rod combos

Best: Marcum M5, Mr.Heater/Cooker, Spud, eskimo shelter, Indian Hill traps,

Offline Hardwater Problem

• Team IceShanty Addict
WORST: Clam folding chair with cooler thing under the seat.  Cannot sit in that damned thing for more than 20 mins.

BEST:  Fl-20 Pro pak.  Bottom Zoom is the balls!
IF YOU CAN'T STAND BEHIND OUR TROOPS, GO GET IN FRONT OF THEM!!!     

Offline FishGut

• Team IceShanty Addict
Worst? Chubby Darter

Best? Octane drill and battery with a lifetime warranty. Wait, no. The Kahtoola cleats. Spud bar. Float suit. Every piece of electronics I've ever had, and currently the Lowrance mapping unit I can move from yak to ice and back again.

The meh? My hub. It's heavy, and a pain to set up, but daaaang, it's nice to be warm standing up . And it'll hold two guys and their gear with elbow room. I'd love my QF3i if it was easier to tote around on my back

Nebraska certified Fishing Instructor

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Your not using the chubby darter right or in the right situation.

Offline Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
Worst: Camera
Too much messing about and in my waters is pretty useless.

Best: Snowmobile, power auger, flasher, flip over shelter.

Offline Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
Your not using the chubby darter right or in the right situation.

Yup, I slay on Chubby's.
Pike love them especially the biggest size.
Got some nice lakers on them too.

Offline FreshwaterPhil

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • FreshwaterPhil.com - Montreal fishing
Best: Fin bore 6 inch auger. Over 10 years, hand drill 500 to 800 holes with it per season. Blades comes off and sharpen super quick/easy, and even managed to drill with only one blade earlier this season when the other cracked and I didn't have spares with me. Beats the Nils hands down for efficiency and reliability. Close second would have to be my Humminbird flasher.

Worst: Cheap Berkley tip ups. Built utra flimsy, spring mechanism kept freezing to where line was spooling without tripping flag. Replaced them after 1 season with polar HT big game tip ups, couldn't be happier, both for reliability and hauling pre-rigged in 5 gallon bucket. Close second would have to be a Rapala popup shelter. Big and clunky to haul around, pain in the neck to drill the anchors to hold it in place, and then you're stuck in one area unless you pack up and restart again. Sold it after one outing, luckily I broke even as I got it 50% clearance.

Offline IceSavage

• IceShanty Rookie
Best: Equipment/tools to build my own QS rigs- better customized and you save money, Building a Smitty sled with mods- better custom made, Vexilar fl 18+ tri beam- enough said, Ice kicker 2 auger gear plate adapter- its got a 2-1 gear ratio saves life on your drill, Blue tipz-don't have to constantly look at your tip up, korkers polar vortex boots- BOA laces and changeable foot treads, HT lift N' hook rod holder- set the hook easier and fold up, flambeau rod case- durable light weight, action spring bobbers- durable attaches securely to rod, Earth outdoor adjustable fishing chair-Folds down flat most comfortable and back is adjustable, Eskimo ice anchors- easy drilling into the ice, rapala mega ice scoop- durable and long don't have to bend over.

Worst: HT ice rigger- rod holder wouldn't fit my rod handle you have to use a ice anchor with it the sensitivity is terrible, Frabill and rapala spring bobbers- do not attach well sensitivity worthless, cabelas coiled rod holder- worthless trying to set the hook, Sorel winter boots- garbage rubber cracked at the bottom (that pissed me off) never kept my feet warm, cheap rubber ice cleats- rubber snaps in less than a season, HT ice anchors- pain to drill in, small cheap ice scoops-because they break, Cabelas rod case- hardly protects your rods+ the zipper catches on the bag.
ICE FISHING..........  ONLY THE STRONG SURVIVE.
CO Native. C&R Esox Lucius

Offline tipman14

• Team IceShanty Addict
Worst = jig pole

Best = wool pants and jacket
I’m here for the cusk !!!!

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
BEST, Clam 2 man flip over with little buddy heater and a set of Jack Trap Cross jack tip ups.

Worst, That little blue hand held auger blade sharpener. Used it once and had to send the blades out to get them sharpened.

Gam
If I agreed with you we would both be wrong!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.