New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Atv's or snowmobile's on the ice  (Read 987 times)

Offline utes

• Team IceShanty Addict
Atv's or snowmobile's on the ice
« on: Feb 14, 2008, 09:22 AM »
I've always been jealous of the guys that have a nice relaxing ride out to their honey hole with their hut , auger, tools of the trade and of course lunch and beverages in tow behind their 4 wheeler or snowmobile. I've trucked it out on lake Erie many times for the 2-3 mile drag and everytime I say" this is the last @$%#ing time i'm doing this. This goes for other lakes as well. When there isn't alot of snow and it's a two finger drag it's not a problem. It's when the snow is over 6in. deep and you gotta stop every 50 yrds. to catch your breath for 10 min.(lol). Now that i finally got that wheeler i've been wanting i can't wait to get it on the ice and have that nice easy drag i've been wanting. Not to mention ; the easy drag my fishing buddies have been wanting too!! Anyway, now that i have it ,i'm weary of putting it on the ice unless i know other machines have already been on the ice i'm going to venture out on.I have seen the chart that states 3in. for one person, 4in. for two people, 5in. for atv etc... , but what is really safe ice for a wheeler. I know by rule that no ice is safe ice but i'm just trying to get some other perspective's on this because like i said, i like the idea of that easy drag out and especially that easy drag in after a long day on the ice but i also want to play it safe. Thanks, Utes

Offline dav

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • dav, no better time to wet your line.
Re: Atv's or snowmobile's on the ice
« Reply #1 on: Feb 14, 2008, 09:28 AM »
I know that site you are talking, about I printed it and hung it in my hardtop for the visitors that question ice thickness. I have a sled and 4 wheeler as well 5"????? Maybe with others around. I have been on the ice with 7" and feel safe, judgement call 5-7" probably ok. Stay on top....
FIND PEACE, LOSE YOURSELF IN NATURE....

Offline theozon

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • you got to hook'em to cook'em baby
« Reply #2 on: Feb 14, 2008, 09:38 AM »
WENT THRU WITH MY HONDA LAST WEEKEND. WHAT A b***h GETTING THE TOW BEHIND SLED UN-CONNECTED FROM THE FOUR WHEELER. HANDS FROZE GETTING THE CLEVIS PIN OUT. THINKING ABOUT GETTING A WINCH.

Offline Lobes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just Fishin'
« Reply #3 on: Feb 14, 2008, 09:47 AM »
I'm not confident it's safe untill there's 8" where I fish. I know 4" - 5" of clear (black) ice will support my quad but knowing that the ice thickness varies widely from one spot to the next on a lake I tough it out and extra 10 days or so.
Right now our ice is real good all over. Guy's are out there with their full size trucks but I'll stick with four wheelin' it.

:tipup:
NBG

Mecosta County / Lakeview, Michigan

Offline Spikehorn11

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Feb 14, 2008, 09:49 AM »
I have a winch on mine. I plan on carrying a a piece of angle iron with me to attach the winch to. If I get bogged down or stuck the "plan" is to drill a hole and connect the winch to the angle iron and put it in the hole cross ways and pull it out. Of course the ice thickness will have to be good. I used it to pull the truck when it was stuck and I know it has got some N#ts to it.

Offline bassinbrian_on_ice

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Lakers are Fun !
« Reply #5 on: Feb 14, 2008, 10:41 AM »
I know 4" - 5" of clear (black) ice will support my quad but knowing that the ice thickness varies widely from one spot to the next on a lake

I'm with you there ... 4"-5" will hold , but it varies !!!! so there could be spots 2"-3"  :o :o don't want to find them the hard way !!!

I would wait for at least 6"+

Just passing time until spring Stripers !

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.