Author Topic: ice cutters  (Read 3904 times)

Offline whitewing

• Team IceShanty Addict
ice cutters
« on: Sep 10, 2018, 03:42 PM »
Ion X vs. K-Drill/Milwaukee M18 fuel. Retiring the old Jiffy after long and faithful service - too heavy and too messy. Any thoughts from folks who have the new kids on the block.

Offline Hottuna5150

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: ice cutters
« Reply #1 on: Sep 10, 2018, 07:09 PM »
Bought the m18/k-drill combo last year. Hard to imagine going back. Cut 30#’s off my pull from the old jiffy. Ions are pretty nice to be honest but I like the option of using my drill for work also.
Perhaps I should not have been a fisherman, he thought. But that was the thing that I was born for.
-Ernest Hemingway

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Sep 10, 2018, 08:55 PM »
I have a M18 with clamplate and 7” lazer and absolutely love it. The only thing I see going for the ion is that it’s a purpose built machine... but that said, not exactly a great selling point.

Offline mowbizz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Sep 11, 2018, 09:09 AM »
Go Ion and don’t look back...leaps and bounds the best option out there and their customer service is 2nd to none. Pricey? Sure, but as many sportsmen agree, buy the best and be done with it.
I have the 8” and 6” bits and the quick change gadget so I can use the 6” to blast 4 holes in a minute for my house tie down holes and then swap bits for my two house holes. Fast, efficient and the battery seems to stay on full charge all the time. At 68 years old I appreciate the ease of cutting after a lifetime of chiseling.

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!!
« Reply #4 on: Sep 11, 2018, 10:15 AM »
Ion lot heavier than Milwaukee /clam set up, both work, clam set up is much faster, but who is in a hurry !!

Offline HWeber

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Sep 11, 2018, 10:31 AM »
Go Ion and don’t look back...leaps and bounds the best option out there and their customer service is 2nd to none. Pricey? Sure, but as many sportsmen agree, buy the best and be done with it.
I have the 8” and 6” bits and the quick change gadget so I can use the 6” to blast 4 holes in a minute for my house tie down holes and then swap bits for my two house holes. Fast, efficient and the battery seems to stay on full charge all the time. At 68 years old I appreciate the ease of cutting after a lifetime of chiseling.

:roflmao: :roflmao:

Offline mowbizz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Sep 11, 2018, 06:47 PM »
Ion lot heavier than Milwaukee /clam set up, both work, clam set up is much faster, but who is in a hurry !!

Compared to a gas auger the Ion is like a feather! I’m sure the drill type augers are great too but I went with Ion and don’t regret it!
To each his own...

Offline meatandmetal

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Sep 12, 2018, 05:37 AM »
Love my ION got it 3 years ago. Although last year I broke the blades because I over tightened them when I put them back on after sharpening them. PoolGuy let me use his auger which I believe is the K-Drill setup it worked great so I think you can't go wrong with either one.

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #8 on: Sep 12, 2018, 06:13 AM »
You can discuss the cutting part to the end of the world. Pretty much (notice I said "pretty much") Ford, Chevy, Mopar. Last year I bought into some Milwaukee power. I understand Ion may be better in ways as it's a purpose built tool for cutting ice. Biggest MKE plus for me is I can walk into pretty much any hardware store in the country and buy a battery if I need to. Ion? Not so much...

I know what some of you are thinking but there are failures with everything. Maybe not frequent, but what if? Or you lose one or forget one or damage one somehow. You say you'd never forget a battery? I met two guys this past weekend that drove four hours north to fish a tournament. They'd been on the road from home about an hour and realized they hadn't hooked the boat to the truck. True story  ::) They rented a pontoon and fished out of that.  :roflmao:
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline SALMONEMIA

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Sep 12, 2018, 06:43 AM »
You can discuss the cutting part to the end of the world. Pretty much (notice I said "pretty much") Ford, Chevy, Mopar. Last year I bought into some Milwaukee power. I understand Ion may be better in ways as it's a purpose built tool for cutting ice. Biggest MKE plus for me is I can walk into pretty much any hardware store in the country and buy a battery if I need to. Ion? Not so much...

I know what some of you are thinking but there are failures with everything. Maybe not frequent, but what if? Or you lose one or forget one or damage one somehow. You say you'd never forget a battery? I met two guys this past weekend that drove four hours north to fish a tournament. They'd been on the road from home about an hour and realized they hadn't hooked the boat to the truck. True story  ::) They rented a pontoon and fished out of that.  :roflmao:
I can see that happening, Ive forgot boots, bait bucket, jet sled. good points esox. I am an ion guy never looking back. Whatever you choose to make life easier for you will be the one.
Salmonemia

Offline meatandmetal

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Sep 12, 2018, 10:28 AM »

Ya anything can happen like the Red Sox winning the World Series in 2004 and Cubs in 2016. As far as the guys with the boat that is why I made a promise to myself to never start drinking before 8:00 am.

Offline Coffin Dodger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Sep 12, 2018, 03:27 PM »
As far as the guys with the boat that is why I made a promise to myself to never start drinking before 8:00 am.
;D

Not knowing the guys, I can't say for sure, Denny.
My guess would be, that they were all hyped up for the tourney? May of been a little green to tourney fishing?

Of course, there very well may have been some "tea" involved....  ;)

Offline SALMONEMIA

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Sep 13, 2018, 07:13 PM »
Ya anything can happen like the Red Sox winning the World Series in 2004 and Cubs in 2016. As far as the guys with the boat that is why I made a promise to myself to never start drinking before 8:00 am.
Denny you Drink Bush. No alcohol in that beer.  ;D
Salmonemia

Offline meatandmetal

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Sep 14, 2018, 05:52 AM »

Bush was the presidents, Busch is the beer.  ;D

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Sep 14, 2018, 10:00 AM »
Best buddy and I both bought augers beginning of last year. He got the Ion X and I got the Milwaukee m18 Fuel with the 7-1/2" K-drill bit. They both cut great, they both have great batteries that last a long time. They are approximately the same money all said and done. My setup is a little lighter, I use the drill all year long and I also use the drill to set my ice anchors for my portable. After the season he said he wished he went the route I did, because I got a great cordless drill out of the deal and I have multiple batteries since I bought the combo kit (I needed a new impact driver as well). But very safe to say he is not upset at his purchase, the Ion X is one heck of a nice auger. There is something to be said about a dedicated ice auger, I like the ergonomics of his setup better than my drill system, but only slightly. Basically you can't go wrong. I would buy whatever system speaks to you. I came from a 10" Jiffy that was a bear to cut with and either of these augers is going to lighten up your setup big time.
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Offline SirCranksalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Sep 14, 2018, 11:31 AM »
, Busch is the beer.  ;D

Well, sort of,if you are using a loose definition
!!!
Keep yer stick on the ice!

Offline Coffin Dodger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Sep 14, 2018, 02:10 PM »
SirCranksalot, I was pretty much expecting you to speak up for hand augers.

Oh, well.  :-[

Offline green shack

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Sep 14, 2018, 03:12 PM »
Nils with a drill works great. Still use my gas as well.

Offline Nosaj

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Sep 18, 2018, 06:54 PM »

Unless someone else is buying  ;D

Offline Nosaj

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Sep 18, 2018, 07:07 PM »
I was in the same place last year and what pushed me over the edge towards ion was the ability to drill a 10" hole.  I like a 10" hole for larger fish especially when it is cold and the holes are icing up.  My secondary concern was killing the drill drilling holes.  The ion has a quick change adapter so that with a push of the collar you can change over to the anchor driver.  I never had an issue with the battery even drilling for 3 people (30 plus holes 24" ice 50% battery)  I will probaly have someone make an adapter so I can use it with my nils.

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Sep 21, 2018, 09:09 AM »
I was in the same place last year and what pushed me over the edge towards ion was the ability to drill a 10" hole.  I like a 10" hole for larger fish especially when it is cold and the holes are icing up.  My secondary concern was killing the drill drilling holes.  The ion has a quick change adapter so that with a push of the collar you can change over to the anchor driver.  I never had an issue with the battery even drilling for 3 people (30 plus holes 24" ice 50% battery)  I will probaly have someone make an adapter so I can use it with my nils.

Very good point, if you want a 10" hole then the Ion is a better choice I would think. And I didn't know you can change to an anchor driver on the Ion! If I had known that I may have gone Ion for sure. Although I am really happy I have the Fuel system for all sorts of other stuff. I've bought a vacuum, a big area light, a leaf blower and a heat gun. Love all the Milwaukee stuff but like I said the ergonomics of the Ion is far superior and the 10" hole is a huge bonus.
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Offline mowbizz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Sep 21, 2018, 10:22 AM »
Yup, I forgot about the anchor tool...I have the 8” and the 6” auger with the quick change collar and the anchor tool! I’m covered for any auger duties!

Offline Digs

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Sep 27, 2018, 01:05 PM »
I run a 6 inch nils with a dewalt. I love it. The easiness and lightness of a drill set up is amazing. The kdrills are even lighter.  Personally out of the choices you mentioned I'd go kdrill and a Milwaukee.
Every fish is a good fish!

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #23 on: Sep 27, 2018, 07:59 PM »
Youse guys gotta use an anchor tool ain't got the right kinda anchors.  @)

Offline SirCranksalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Sep 27, 2018, 08:40 PM »

Yup----you can use reg lag screws with a 'picture hanging drill' Much easier.
Keep yer stick on the ice!

Offline mowbizz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Sep 27, 2018, 09:59 PM »
Youse guys gotta use an anchor tool ain't got the right kinda anchors.  @)

Well...why don’t you enlighten us about what the “right kind of anchors” are? The anchors I use came with the shelter.

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #26 on: Sep 28, 2018, 09:30 AM »
Well...why don’t you enlighten us about what the “right kind of anchors” are? The anchors I use came with the shelter.

Been a subject here before and price keeps some folks off but "ice climbing screws" are incredible tools. Start and drive easily by hand, light and durable titanium and positively won't pull out or bend or corrode. I got mine on fleaBay for extremely reasonable by being both persistent and patient. Looks like this:

Very pricey brand new starting at over $30 USD per screw. I own 8 IIRC, bought in two sets. One (2x) from the US and one (6x) from Russia. I think I've got no more than $5-6 each.

I've battled with the lag screw type and gave up. Made a driver for a cordless drill (long before folks were using them to drive an auger), tried a regular bit for pilot holes... Just wasn't worth the extra weight and fuss totin' the drill. Sure, now you're drilling with it but by the time you get your auger swapped to an anchor driver I've got in at least one and probably two screws. I do understand the current Eskimo version is very good but I'll still race.  ;)2

They really install (and remove) this easily: Ice Screw Install My "handles" are more utilitarian but you'll get the idea.

Just my opinion and experience. Not for all folks but I know I'll never look back and never regret my decision.

Offline mowbizz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Sep 28, 2018, 01:35 PM »
Been a subject here before and price keeps some folks off but "ice climbing screws" are incredible tools. Start and drive easily by hand, light and durable titanium and positively won't pull out or bend or corrode. I got mine on fleaBay for extremely reasonable by being both persistent and patient. Looks like this:

Very pricey brand new starting at over $30 USD per screw. I own 8 IIRC, bought in two sets. One (2x) from the US and one (6x) from Russia. I think I've got no more than $5-6 each.

I've battled with the lag screw type and gave up. Made a driver for a cordless drill (long before folks were using them to drive an auger), tried a regular bit for pilot holes... Just wasn't worth the extra weight and fuss totin' the drill. Sure, now you're drilling with it but by the time you get your auger swapped to an anchor driver I've got in at least one and probably two screws. I do understand the current Eskimo version is very good but I'll still race.  ;)2

They really install (and remove) this easily: Ice Screw Install My "handles" are more utilitarian but you'll get the idea.

Thanks! You certainly delivered a better ice anchor!
Will research them.

Just my opinion and experience. Not for all folks but I know I'll never look back and never regret my decision.

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #28 on: Sep 28, 2018, 03:15 PM »
An outfit called "Trophy Angler" came out with some ice anchors for ice fishing based on the climbing screw design a few years ago. The first ones were made of aluminum but the current marketing says stainless steel. About $15 a pair(Scheels), still kinda pricey. Sportsmans Guide has 'em for $8/pair. I have no direct experience with these, just know they are out there.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.