Author Topic: GILLS GILLS GGGGIIIILLLSS whats your favorite recipe  (Read 1701 times)

Offline SlapHAPpYcrappiE

• IceShanty Rookie
GILLS GILLS GGGGIIIILLLSS whats your favorite recipe
« on: Dec 25, 2008, 08:09 PM »
I just love munchin on them little worm eaters.  What is your favorite way to eat them?  I have found fillet methodology to be a bit boney for my taste.  Any advice?
I've been slappin crappies since 1995.

Offline captain54

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: GILLS GILLS GGGGIIIILLLSS whats your favorite recipe
« Reply #1 on: Dec 26, 2008, 12:13 PM »
Well start off with Bulls,fish at least 8 inches,give you a nice fillet,I use a Electric knife,fillet,skin,and cut out the ribs in that order,wash fillets,dip in beaten egg,dip in 4 C's Italian bread crumbs,deep fry till they float,it doesn't get any better than that,pretty basic.

Offline Knoodles

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Dec 26, 2008, 12:46 PM »
I too use an electric knife and cut out the rib cage.  The only way i cook fish now:  butter, soy sauce, and lemon juice - preheat in pan until all one liquid.  season fillets with pepper and garlic salt.  cook fish until bright white color.  It is basically like steaming the fish.  I generally do not flip the fillets as they tend to crumble. 

Tastes great; i havent used a batter since i tried this for the first time.

Offline Tom14462

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Have a CRAPPIE day!
« Reply #3 on: Dec 26, 2008, 06:11 PM »
Well start off with Bulls,fish at least 8 inches,give you a nice fillet,I use a Electric knife,fillet,skin,and cut out the ribs in that order,wash fillets,dip in beaten egg,dip in 4 C's Italian bread crumbs,deep fry till they float,it doesn't get any better than that,pretty basic.

Take those crispy filets and make fish tacos - these are great. I make these mostly in the summer when I can make fresh pico de gallo:

Manny's corn tortillas (the best - they have them at Wegman's, bottom shelf in the Mexican food section).
Pico de gallo or your favorite salsa
tartar sauce

I have a gas range - put the flame on low and put the tortilla directly on the range over the flame - it takes about 20 seconds for each side.
If you have an electric range, put the tortilla on a non stick frying pan. It'll take a little longer to cook tho.
When cooked, put a fish filet on on side, give it a little bit of tartar sauce and a tablespoon or two or pico. It'll knock your socks off.

Or put on it whatever you like on your fried fish.

Pico de gallo:
about 4 cups diced fresh tomatoes (drained in a collender)
2 minced fresh jalapeno peppers
2 minced cloves garlic
1 large diced sweet onion (mayan sweet, vidalia)
chopped fresh cilantro (or dried if you can't find fresh)
juice of 1 lime
salt and black pepper to taste

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #4 on: Dec 26, 2008, 09:22 PM »

My wife and son love fish Tacos.
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline GrizlyGarou

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 03, 2009, 06:33 PM »
I cook the filets in a frying pan with some oil and garlic powder, then I break them all up and mix them in with pancake batter with some diced onion.

Everybody I've ever fed them to loves it!
"One hundred years from now it will not matter what my bank account was, the sort of house I lived in or the kind of car I drove, but the world may be different because I was important in the life of a child."  Anonymous

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #6 on: Jan 03, 2009, 09:17 PM »
I just eat em raw.

Nothing beats fresh sushi!
EYECONICFISHING

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.