Author Topic: Making Beds?  (Read 1814 times)

Offline SDFlagChaser

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Making Beds?
« on: Feb 26, 2009, 08:17 PM »
I have been catching gills lately with bloody fins.  Are they already starting to clear spawning beds even with the ice still on?

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Making Beds?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 27, 2009, 08:08 PM »
I have been catching gills lately with bloody fins.  Are they already starting to clear spawning beds even with the ice still on?

Way to early. They don't make beds until water temps go into the upper 60's at least. Not sure what the cause would be.
I live in the midwest now but have fond memories of fishing in New England as a kid.

Offline SDFlagChaser

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Feb 27, 2009, 08:11 PM »
i thought it wa too early also, but i have seen bass with the same thing right before the spawn.  i started seeing it about 2 weeks ago, and it had confused me since.  they are definetely doing something on the bottom, cuz the fins are bloody..  if i go out and catch them on sunday, i will take a pic and see if anyone can figure it out. 

Offline sparky

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rooolz!
« Reply #3 on: Mar 01, 2009, 02:15 PM »
Could it be that the food supply is geing knocked down and they are fanning the bottom for the insect larva?  Stir the bottom and stir up some dinner.  I know that where I fish on warmer sunny days I've seen small black flies emerging from the holes.  The only way to catch fish is to put on a black fly and place a small split shot about a half foot below the ice fly so that when you drop your jig down it makes a little cloud of sediment in the water.  Bam the fish sees the cloud than your ice fly rise out of the silt, fish on ;D ;D ;D
sparky

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.