Author Topic: Blackstrap 2019/20  (Read 67265 times)

gman51

Re: Blackstrap 2019/20
« Reply #360 on: Mar 09, 2020, 10:27 AM »
yes it was..lol

Offline whitetip

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #361 on: Mar 10, 2020, 12:46 AM »
Are the perch still biting at north end?

Thinking of going Sunday. Can you still drive on?

gman51

« Reply #362 on: Mar 10, 2020, 08:09 AM »
Are the perch still biting at north end?

Thinking of going Sunday. Can you still drive on?
      perch are biting everywhere on the lake. pretty well all season... driving on no problem.

Offline Scrunt

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #363 on: Mar 10, 2020, 03:54 PM »
2 weeks ago I caught a 8 pound pike on my ifish pro on the north end. It kept getting caught on the bottom of the ice but the water was so dirty you couldn’t see the fish at the hole. That was is disgusting Hahahah

Offline Churchill River

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #364 on: Mar 10, 2020, 08:15 PM »
I was out today on both the North and South end.  The boat launches are excellent (no ruts at all), for getting on and off of the ice.  The North end entrance is excellent also...with just a slight rut developing...a car could still drive on.  And with the colder weather moving in, there won't be a problem for at least another two weeks (or maybe right through March 31st), for driving on.

As Rip mentioned there seems to be perch biting all over the lake in the deeper water that we are fishing.  Although there seems to
be more little perch this year (which is a good thing), with a mixture of bigger ones.

And for you regulars reading this..........I must confess...........the perch eye got out fished by the red meal worm the other day.  If it
happens again tomorrow, this old dog might have to try a new trick. 

I was out today getting water samples from the North and South end and took them in to get tested.  If you read back a bit Scrunt, you will see some reports on the water color on the North end.  After they test the water and get back to me, I will post the findings.  Actually today,
some holes I drilled on the North end weren't as dirty looking as they were a week ago (maybe the DOC they are talking about is wearing off), but still bad enough that it would be hard to see
your fish as it enters the bottom of your hole.

Offline Luke perch

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #365 on: Mar 10, 2020, 09:32 PM »
Been catching nothing but tiny fish on the north end, except pike

Offline Churchill River

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #366 on: Mar 10, 2020, 09:43 PM »
Luke, you know it takes a very very very good fisherman to catch fish of that size :)

Like I said, there seems to be lot's of little ones this year.  But we usually get enough big ones mixed in to make it a good day.

Offline whitetip

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #367 on: Mar 11, 2020, 01:30 AM »
Thanks for the info.

Offline Luke perch

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #368 on: Mar 11, 2020, 09:11 AM »
Thanks churchhill!

Offline Churchill River

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #369 on: Mar 11, 2020, 08:52 PM »
Earl and I fished the North end today and hit a honey hole (well 10 holes in total..fish in every hole).  Had close to 100 by noon, with
some nice keepers.  Earl caught a blue perch today also.  We were able to keep

The blue perch and the one above it both went back.

Offline Churchill River

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #370 on: Mar 12, 2020, 10:25 AM »
Forgot to mention, that I don't have to learn any new tricks.  The perch eye out fished the meal worm almost 3 to 1.  We stopped at
Cabela's on the way home, and Earl was able to get his money back for the almost empty package of meal worms (well he was making such a disturbance in the store that they final gave him his money back to get him out of the store).

Offline sparksNfishing

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #371 on: Mar 12, 2020, 03:12 PM »
Forgot to mention, that I don't have to learn any new tricks.  The perch eye out fished the meal worm almost 3 to 1.  We stopped at
Cabela's on the way home, and Earl was able to get his money back for the almost empty package of meal worms (well he was making such a disturbance in the store that they final gave him his money back to get him out of the store).
So lemme get this straight. He returned perfectly good meal worms because he didn't catch as many fish as you? But still caught some...?
wow. Please don't tell me he uses a MH-H rod and 12lb line too.
If someone i knew pulled that with me around they may be walking home from Cabelas. Sure hope he finds peace on the ice.

Offline ran7ger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #372 on: Mar 12, 2020, 04:04 PM »
whoa now i took that to mean he bought a package of mealworms that was almost empty and returned it.  either way, i don't think johnny morris will notice the $3.

Offline speckspotter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #373 on: Mar 12, 2020, 07:24 PM »
Hmmmm,

I sense a fish story on this thread. I checked with my buddy who works at Cabelas. They had no reports of any meal worm ruckus at Customer Service. Moreover, since Churchill River is "Well Known to Authorities" he would have tripped their facial recognition software designed to keep tabs on trouble makers.

I can offer a legit report from today. We caught around 60 in the middle of the lake. My partner set up his pop up and camera and watched perch swim by all day. The best bite would have been between 9:00 and 11:30. After that it was a rare perch that hit the bait aggressively.
We ended with sixteen keepers between 9 and 11 inches.

Offline Churchill River

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #374 on: Mar 12, 2020, 08:25 PM »
mmmmm, something fishy you think Speck!!!!!!!!!  Darn, you got a good nose.

Well, your right.  I was just trying to make a point that the perch eye schooled the meal worm yesterday, and that Earl was mad and wanted his money back.  Some people think I am a smart ass, so that was meant as light reading (joke).  I wouldn't recommend anyone trying to return a 1/2 used package of meal worms to get their money back. 

Speck, sorry the fish weren't as aggressive today as they were yesterday.  With the high pressure today and the fact that they filled their bellies yesterday, might be a reason why they weren't interested today.  We have all had days when we are fishing and then days when we are catching.  It was good to hear that they were on the camera all day long though. 

The countdown is on....only 19 days to go.

Offline sparksNfishing

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #375 on: Mar 12, 2020, 08:34 PM »
Oh dang church, I took the meal worm bait on that one. Probably bite harder than the perch. I have never seen a blue perch come out of strap before. Pretty neat.

Offline Churchill River

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #376 on: Mar 12, 2020, 08:55 PM »
Well Sparks, I was going to loosen my drag, and play with you for awhile, until Speck spoiled the fight.

I caught a blue perch last year, and posted it.  Then Earl caught that one yesterday.  Last year got some replies from other members that said they have caught some in past years also.
They are very rare, but nice to see that the Strap has a few.

gman51

« Reply #377 on: Mar 13, 2020, 07:41 AM »
last couple trips for me has been hit and miss. moving around marking lots but most are non committing. still managing to put some topside.

Offline Luke perch

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #378 on: Mar 14, 2020, 07:10 PM »
Has anybody seen these white blue spots before? They’re from blackstrap north end

Offline Churchill River

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #379 on: Mar 14, 2020, 08:22 PM »
Luke, were the scales missing (were the blueish color is)?

I have seen old bite marks from pike on the perch were the color doesn't come back.

Offline corney

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #380 on: Mar 15, 2020, 08:38 AM »
Life has been busy lately for me and I haven't had a chance to get to my shack.

Couple of us went out to get our shacks off yesterday, while I was helping my buddy get some anchors out my son went and got our shack with a sxs.

When he got back he said the shack was trashed and he thinks a muskrat did it and still in there.  We swung open the door in cause it wanted out.  I braved it and went in and there was a mink laying in his deathbed off paper towel. Poor bugger musta flipped up the hole cover that closed behind him.  Looks like he tried clawing his way out off a couple spots. Shack is in shambles covered in mink poop, fish parts and shredded insulation.

Nice looking mink, like to get it to someone that has a trappers licence, not sure if it's legal to do so?

Don't want to break any laws so I will call CO's tomorrow.

Offline speckspotter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #381 on: Mar 15, 2020, 11:30 AM »
Wow! There was a fish story I didn't expect. Sorry to hear about your shack though. Quite the unexpected catch.

Offline jpicks

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #382 on: Mar 15, 2020, 01:37 PM »
Life has been busy lately for me and I haven't had a chance to get to my shack.

Couple of us went out to get our shacks off yesterday, while I was helping my buddy get some anchors out my son went and got our shack with a sxs.

When he got back he said the shack was trashed and he thinks a muskrat did it and still in there.  We swung open the door in cause it wanted out.  I braved it and went in and there was a mink laying in his deathbed off paper towel. Poor bugger musta flipped up the hole cover that closed behind him.  Looks like he tried clawing his way out off a couple spots. Shack is in shambles covered in mink poop, fish parts and shredded insulation.

Nice looking mink, like to get it to someone that has a trappers licence, not sure if it's legal to do so?

Don't want to break any laws so I will call CO's tomorrow.

Co's will likely give you a conditional/ exceptional permit for it.   Same as if you hit a deer on the highway and phoned to ask if you could keep the rack.

Offline speckspotter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #383 on: Mar 15, 2020, 09:56 PM »
Corney,

A trapper friend of mine said that mink are not of any value in the fur market these days. He was not interested in your specimen, even though he lives close by.

Sorry

Offline corney

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #384 on: Mar 16, 2020, 05:55 AM »
Thanks for following up with a trapper.

I used to trap a bit with my uncle and help him skin muskrats , beaver and the odd mink.

I am not interested in skinning a mink anymore.

Offline whitetip

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #385 on: Mar 16, 2020, 09:52 PM »
Corney

Do you still have the mink?

Offline corney

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #386 on: Mar 19, 2020, 05:58 PM »
Check your messages whitetip

Offline speckspotter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #387 on: Mar 19, 2020, 06:36 PM »
What a gorgeous day to self isolate on Blackstrap! While I didn't land another 4.5 lb walleye like Tuesday morning, DH did catch a PB perch. This 13.5 inch tank was thick and heavy. When it spit the hook at the hole, pandemonium ensued. A chair may have fallen over.
A fisherman may have turned turtle. Strong words may have been used. Dignity was momentarily forfeited.

In the end, the fish was brought to the surface, and DH realized his hard won victory.

Offline shawno

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Team Saskatchewan
« Reply #388 on: Mar 19, 2020, 07:41 PM »
Nice fish speckspotter!   :thumbsup:

Offline dkruks

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #389 on: Mar 19, 2020, 09:01 PM »
Very nice fish! I can see the chair flying through the air!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.