Author Topic: Oxygen levels important?  (Read 1529 times)

Offline chuck

• IceShanty Rookie
Oxygen levels important?
« on: Jan 30, 2006, 09:32 PM »
I'm kind of new to ice fishing for Pike.  On a few other posts oxygen levels were mentioned.  Is this important for pike fishing? 

Offline Water Wolf

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice anglers walk on water.
Re: Oxygen levels important?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 31, 2006, 04:46 PM »
Oxygen levels are important to pike. It along with other factors can determin where the fish may be. They will always be in areas of high oxygen concentrations, be it green healthy weeds, mouths of rivers or stream or springs. Be cautious though all these areas will have very thin ice so make sure to set up a ways from them always check the ice. If a lake has an overall low oxygen level the fish will only worry about finding enough oxygen to breath and will stop feeding, thus they will stop biting.

WW

Offline Bob_D

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • www.Fishingvermont.net
« Reply #2 on: Feb 01, 2006, 01:22 PM »
Oxygen levels are only important if they dip below a certain level. Optimum level is about 22% if I remember right. Lower then that can cause pike to slow/stop feeding.

As far as there being more oxygen just below the ice due to temp. Remember that there is only a few degrees difference (Max of 7 deg F) in the water temps from the water near the ice to the bottom of the lake. So the difference in desolved oxygen is not much. Areas of a lake with springs , streams, rivers, etc would have would have more oxygen in the water.

Offline chuck

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Feb 01, 2006, 08:53 PM »
Wow,
I'm a science teacher in NW WI.  I am very impressed with your thoughts on this topic

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #4 on: Mar 20, 2006, 07:30 PM »
Dead weed beds from last summer are usualy poor places to fish. The decomposition of the vegitation uses up all of the O2. Green beds of veg will make O2 and are good places to fish. An aqua-vu will help with this. brown and down, :( green and lush, :)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.